It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cheap effective last minute weapons for close quarter self defence?

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Boy oh boy yous guys love this weapon stuff. Have you all boiled it down to one or two for CQB?

I gather from the thread it has come down to hammer or knife. Have I got that right?

Hey, OP, God bless your hide for trying. Here is a great book that should not be missed...

www.gavindebecker.com...

So what is it, fellows, hammer or knife? Or bat? Or what?

P.S. Ooooo. Top of page 13.

edit on 28-9-2011 by Frater210 because: achad!

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by amodedoma
reply to post by Dylan201

Your home should be a place where last minute weapons should be unecessary. An intruder won't know where anything is, use that advantage to get the heck out of there, and get help. Don't get yourself killed defending your stuff, stuff can be replaced, but only if you're alive.

But what if you have children or elderly scattered about the house and property? How do you even know they just want your stuff?

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 06:52 PM
link   
First off I'd advise enrolling in a good, combat-based martial art - steer clear of MMA or your average 'sports-based' competitive martial art. But you'll need at least 6 months of regular training to become somewhat proficient.
Keys. Your house/car keys - keep them on a keyring too so you can swing them at an opponents face like a weapon. Buy a Kubotan at a MA store and attach it to your keyring - learn how to use it. They're legal and effective.

Yes, a katana is a great option - however, it's extremely deadly. Like cutting butter with a hot knife! And like someone here already said: make sure it's well made - ideally clay tempered at least.

But - after all is said and done - your body is the most effective and convenient of weapons - if you train it and educate it. It can be deadly. And legal.
edit on 28-9-2011 by jimbo999 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 06:53 PM
link   

A (snip) rub it into your hands no one will mess with you

edit on 28-9-2011 by GreatScot because: (no reason given)

Mod Edit: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.

edit on 28-9-2011 by Ahabstar because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rineocerous

Originally posted by amodedoma

Your home should be a place where last minute weapons should be unecessary. An intruder won't know where anything is, use that advantage to get the heck out of there, and get help. Don't get yourself killed defending your stuff, stuff can be replaced, but only if you're alive.

But what if you have children or elderly scattered about the house and property? How do you even know they just want your stuff?

I don't care what they want, and I won't retreat. Personally, I have a shotgun, and I have a shovel, and I don't care if somebody misses them.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 07:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Rineocerous

Remind me not to ever move to Canada! My state has much more reasonable laws which allow the use of deadly force anywhere on your property in the defense of your life.

edit on 28-9-2011 by Redwing48 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by AngryAlien

Originally posted by projectvxn
reply to post by Redwing48

Indeed. All I'm saying is the suggestions being tossed around here as to how to improvise such weapons and keep them at the ready is not only irresponsible, but could constitute a crime in and of itself. It would be very ironic to be charged with criminal conspiracy for a post one made on a conspiracy site.

LMAO! I'd love to see that one stick. It's a sad world we live in where people believe they should be prosecuted for defending against a home invasion (using any means available).

Now you're saying we can be prosecuted for discussing how to defend our homes, lol. Advocating a criminals right to come into your home, and not be harmed, ridiculous.

I'm not advocating that at all. You should certainly be able to defend yourself, your home, and your family by any legal means necessary. Filling a super soaker with acid is NOT legal, and the use thereof, even in defense, is a felony offense in all 50 states.

Secondly, since you seem to be a Constitutional scholar, explain to me how probable cause works. Because last i checked going around telling people you have a super soaker full of corrosive acid as a weapon IS probable cause for search and arrest.
edit on 28-9-2011 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by jimbo999
First off I'd advise enrolling in a good, combat-based martial art - steer clear of MMA or your average 'sports-based' competitive martial art.

Agreed. Avoid the MMA is it's often taught by amateurs or has confusing, non-flowing styles Your choice of martial arts should really reflect two things. Your physique and your mental attitude.

Some people such as the elderly - should consider maybe judo since it teaches you how to develop a safe fall and basic grappling skills and off-balance techniques, perfect for tackling and dealing with bigger opponents.

Young, tall or skinny people may consider aikido or even karate or jujitsu or tae kwondo (google them all and find your preference).

But it all depends on what you wish to develop. Some arts are designed for striking or defensive blocking , whilst others are more about defence, locks and holds. Others are more form based and use the enemies momentum or weight against them.

Best bet is to google the various types and try a few lessons of each (most decent dojo's will allow a free lesson or two).

Personally, I studied karate and basic Aikido. I prefer the karate for the direct stance, balance and delivery of blows (I studied it for three years), whilst the aikido is very basic (and was taught to me by an ex policeman over a period of six months).

I've not done MA for a good few years now and wouldn't mind actually learning real aikido.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by AngryAlien

reply to post by Redwing48

Indeed. All I'm saying is the suggestions being tossed around here as to how to improvise such weapons and keep them at the ready is not only irresponsible, but could constitute a crime in and of itself. It would be very ironic to be charged with criminal conspiracy for a post one made on a conspiracy site.

LMAO! I'd love to see that one stick. It's a sad world we live in where people believe they should be prosecuted for defending against a home invasion (using any means available).

Now you're saying we can be prosecuted for discussing how to defend our homes, lol. Advocating a criminals right to come into your home, and not be harmed, ridiculous.

I'm not advocating that at all. You should certainly be able to defend yourself, your home, and your family by any legal means necessary. Filling a super soaker with acid is NOT legal, and the use thereof, even in defense, is a felony offense in all 50 states.

Secondly, since you seem to be a Constitutional scholar, explain to me how probable cause works. Because last i checked going around telling people you have a super soaker full of corrosive acid as a weapon IS probable cause for search and arrest.
edit on 28-9-2011 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

No, you seem to be the one with all of the legal advice. I want you to show me a case study (or even a law) that says it is illegal to fill a supersoaker with acid for self defense.

Secondly, what you are describing would likely be construed as "hearsay". Perhaps said information could be used, after the fact, to show pre-meditation, but the first ammendment affirms my right to say that I am going to keep a squirtgun with acid in my house to use against an intruder. Simply stating that does not constitute a direct threat against anyone specifically. Additionally, what crime would they be investigating? What proof would there be that I actually posted it?

Cop: "Hey judge, this guy posted on a website that he has a squirt gun at his house, filled with acid, and he's going to use it on anyone who breaks in and tries to harm his family. We need to stop him before someone actually breaks in and he tries to use it in defense."

Judge: "Get the # out of my courtroom"

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 07:51 PM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

You may find the Candy Cain comment funny but I know for a fact that it works. Back in 1984 in the little town jail in Hinton, West Virginia a man lost his life while he slept in his bunk. The murder weapon was a Candy Cain that his cellmate got with a Christmas card that day. He had sucked it down to a sharp point and stabbed him in the neck 3 times and then broke it off. The man bled out in a few minutes and was found dead by guards the next morning. When the man was asked why he did it he said “He owed me a pack of smokes and he wasn’t gonna pay up.” So it does work. But I don’t think that if someone was in your home with the intention to rob or hurt you, you would have the time to suck it to a point fast enough. Lol…Just say’n.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by TinkerHaus
Hugs. Attack your attacker with hugs. That'll show em.

Do you live in Detroit or something? Get a deadbolt and a dog - you'll feel more secure.

Why, have you visited Detroit lately?

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Buy a Kubotan

probably the only sensible thing said in this thread.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Cheap effective last minute weapons for close quarter self defence?

Wasp nest spray. I believe it costs about 6 bucks a can or so, it sprays a foam more than 20 feet, and it blinds the eyes of whoever gets sprayed in the face. The only cure for it is found in hospitals.

I have heard stories people keep these cans in their cars incase of carjackings.

And the biggest bonus, is wasp spray on your person or in your car is totally legal .

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 08:27 PM
link   
caltrops and marbels in front of the door or windows remember to put them away come mornig . Perhaps keep a strong net kept handy draped over a chair or on a wall to appear as a decoration , worked for gladiators . Might consider practicing alot with that net . Take a 2by 4 with some nails facing up makes a nice harzard too .

Good old quater stave with re enforced metal ends

Take a strong sock put somethig hard n' heavy in it make for a nice black jasck .

Perhap we can expand this discusion to include quick and simple secure and defence makeshift options too .

edit on 28-9-2011 by OpusMarkII because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 09:00 PM
link   

We have an axe handle by the front door. Just as good as a baseball bat. Also if you are out at night the butt end of your torch/flashlight will work just fine provided yours isn't plastic.

In close quarters you can pretty much pick up anything and throw it and it will keep your attacker distracted whilst you find something more lethal.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 09:01 PM
link   
reply to post by AngryAlien

There are plenty of laws governing the use and abuse of corrosives. There are also maiming and assault laws that will be enforced against someone who uses such substances in an altercation irrespective of who is the aggressor. You go ahead and tell a cop you have a water pistol full of highly corrosive acid as a personal defense weapon and see what happens.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Taking a more peaceful and subtle approach involves leaving a bowl of nachos or a plate of super nachos out for any would be "breaking-and-entering" types. Make sure the chips are still fresh and crunchy - some taste testing may be necessary.

Next, set out a large bowl that has been chilled in the freezer for 2 hours. Add salsa and any variety will do fine, Old El Paso, even if it was made in NYC. Mix in.a truly excessive quantity of something like Dave's Insanity Salsa. With the salsa, they may not realize they are being attacked until the second bite. Otherwise, if you need to take them down hard and fast, you will want to use the concentrated sauce.

This is usually best followed up with placing a carton of sour milk in the fridge.

For best results, use a carton of milk with a very large label that reads "Unpasteurized Milk". The next part requires perfect timing and may take some practice to get right. This means you will need to see how far the police are from your home, what their response time is for nearby areas.... and a little luck.

Right when the criminal is about to break in - you need to call 911 to report a burglary. This will give the burglar enough time to look around, have some nachos with the concentrated habenero mix - run to the refrigerator and
grab the carton of unpasteurized milk - just when the police walk in. Of course, this could lead to a massive escalation with the FBI and US Marshals, along with ATF and local law enforcement needing to call in the National Guard...

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by mr-lizard

Originally posted by jimbo999
First off I'd advise enrolling in a good, combat-based martial art - steer clear of MMA or your average 'sports-based' competitive martial art.

Agreed. Avoid the MMA is it's often taught by amateurs or has confusing, non-flowing styles Your choice of martial arts should really reflect two things. Your physique and your mental attitude.

Some people such as the elderly - should consider maybe judo since it teaches you how to develop a safe fall and basic grappling skills and off-balance techniques, perfect for tackling and dealing with bigger opponents.

Young, tall or skinny people may consider aikido or even karate or jujitsu or tae kwondo (google them all and find your preference).

But it all depends on what you wish to develop. Some arts are designed for striking or defensive blocking , whilst others are more about defence, locks and holds. Others are more form based and use the enemies momentum or weight against them.

Best bet is to google the various types and try a few lessons of each (most decent dojo's will allow a free lesson or two).

Personally, I studied karate and basic Aikido. I prefer the karate for the direct stance, balance and delivery of blows (I studied it for three years), whilst the aikido is very basic (and was taught to me by an ex policeman over a period of six months).

I've not done MA for a good few years now and wouldn't mind actually learning real aikido.

Good advice.

I'd also advise looking into more combat-oriented MA like Ninjutsu or Krav Maga too.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by neonitus

Buy a Kubotan

probably the only sensible thing said in this thread.

Thanx!

Personally, I think they're wonderful.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 10:18 PM
link   
here's a page that runs in a similar vein to the question asked..

Using common Objects

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join