It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stupid voters enable broken government

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 09:47 AM
link   

www.cnn.com

Whenever I visit Washington, I can't help but think this is the town that elected a crackhead as its mayor.

I know, I know it's not PC to say, but just because it's insensitive doesn't mean it isn't true.

But think about this: There is footage of Marion Barry in a room of crack smoke saying, "Bitch set me up." And yet that image, that video did not disqualify him from being seen as a viable political option in the mind of voters. In fact, not only was he re-elected mayor after serving time in a federal prison, today he sits on the City Council, all because he managed to convince e
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
reason.com

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 09:47 AM
link   
This article made me smile. There is alot of blame that should be shouldered by the voters. Sure we don't sit in Washington and lobby are reps to keep true to the promises we voted them in for, but we did cote them in.

Last week I was bombarded with e-mails from readers who said Social Security should be protected because they paid into it, but they didn't care about Medicaid or Medicare because the government pays for those. And in 13 months some of these people will be voting for president.

Seriously... I just can't digest the level of ignorance it takes to believe this kind of stuff. The author of the article must just sit at his desk shaking his head...

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by constantwonder

It wouldn't surprise me to find out that Barry had a key part in facilitating a large scale drug smuggling operation. JMHO.

Peace

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 10:13 AM
link   

You mean there is such a thing as a smart voter?

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 10:16 AM
link   
aside from the fact that terribly lazy journalism leads to stupid voters......

the title should read "Stupid Government seeks ignorant voters to lie to"

what planet is this guy living on?

edit on 27-9-2011 by all answers exist because: spelling

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Obviously clueless folks should refrain from voting; But;How much research does it take to choose between a "turd sandwich" and a "giant douche"?

When Few candidates express any belief in the principles I hold. I don't believe any politicians are our "saviors". period.
I am utterly repelled by the "cult of personality" cultivated around politicians and celebrities.

Big powerful govt only adds problems.
Color me: "completely disillusioned and disappointed in Govt."

edit on 27-9-2011 by 46ACE because: (no reason given)

edit on 27-9-2011 by 46ACE because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 10:37 AM
link   
I believe there needs to be a law in place that only allows for people to vote if you have a high school diploma and have passed and examination of basic historical principles. There are too many stupid people who vote on party, race, creed, etc. This needs to stop. Now! This country is destroying itself from within.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 10:52 AM
link   
I've often thought there should be a citizenship test for voting just like a driving test for motorists. It's reasonable that you be required to know what a congressman is before being able to vote for one. And yes, people born here should have to pass it.

America has bad government because we vote for our leaders as if they were the homecoming court in high school. No wonder we get the results we do, and no wonder most of the interesting parts of our government ignore the civilian leadership.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Allowing anyone to dictate the parameters of your existence other than yourself will always fail.

Whether a democracy, republic, dictatorship or cooperative commune the moment anybody gets control over anybody other than themselves the system, whichever it is, has failed. The very second that you say "yes" and I say "no" to anything at all the government regardless of type is over. The remaining time that government exists is spent trying to maintain a tolerable level of conflict among the population just to save its own existence as long as possible while it loots for the oligarchs. In this case our "representatives."

This is the nature of all government.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by kellynap43
I believe there needs to be a law in place that only allows for people to vote if you have a high school diploma and have passed and examination of basic historical principles. There are too many stupid people who vote on party, race, creed, etc. This needs to stop. Now! This country is destroying itself from within.

I believe there needs to be a law in place that only allows for people to vote if you have a high school diploma and have passed and examination of basic historical principles

There are too many stupid people who vote onparty, race, creed, etc. This needs to stop. Now! This country is destroying itself from within.

for is not necessary, and does not change sentence content or meaning

an Seriously you used "and" for an ?

historical principles can not be applied in such a general manner, and I would love for you to explain what you think the words mean

The word "now" can not be used to make a sentence on its own, also the words "this need to stop" do not contain enough content as well as context to be considered a sentence

This is grade 8 stuff, so I guess your 4 years off from being able to vote ?
I commend you for your strict views on voting eligibility, and hope you stick to them, lord knows we would hate to have the uneducated such as yourself, contaminating our electoral system.

You can face palm anytime now.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   
My Mum will happily moan about how pathatic our once Great country now is, yet ask her to vote for another party other than Labour and she will refuse. To her, Labour is the only party who supports the people. She cant name a single policy, nor compare it to any other party apart from "The Tories are the worst. They closed the mines down..." etc etc.

And that's why so many people vote for this traitors. For some, wierd and strange reason they have a fixed view that they must vote what they have always voted for. And of course the rest either cant be arsed to vote or the queue up for two hours onlyy to have the polling stations shut on them.

IMO, you should have to earn the vote by serving the state i.e. a public service such as the Armed Forces, Police, NHS etc.

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 02:30 PM
link   
I think people miss the point entirely, Voting at all for anything other than the right to free yourself from an insidious and corrupted system. that seeks only to serve itself and the continued malfeasance of those who maintain their position over you by illigitemate means, IS the problem.
Their are so many people now who are mature enough and responsible enough emotionally and physically to attempt the greatest step forward humankind has yet to take, freedom from everything except your responsibility to maintain life and its processes with care.

Government will vanish in time, it will happen in such a way as we don't even see it happen, slowly over generations as we become more responsible and realise we can actually live without a legal framework binding us all into a corporate morass of societal stupidity.
We will still have law, there always will be Law, but the legallesse and its framework of statutes and legal "Acts" are unnecessary, in time we will seperate ourselves from the parasites that are so comfortable bleeding us of our inalienable rights, or, at least, trying to.

join