It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Local Legends Specific To Your Area

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 03:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Psychedelica

What causes them to say that it is the most haunted place in Norway? any history.

the cow lady that you speak of almost sounds the same as an old native american folk take refered to as deer lady. sounds pretty much the same concept.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by JROCK2527

well I said "one" of the most haunted area. if am correct ;D and yes i know of Deer woman. its almost the same but with cow tale tho.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 01:18 AM
link   
what are some of the things that have happend

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 10:21 PM
link   
I live near Mount Shasta in Northern California.

There is a cult in my area called "I Am" that is about worshiping the beings in the mountain. There is a lot of UFO lore about it and the beings are said to be either Lemurians or Atlanteans.

So that's my claim to fame.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 10:58 PM
link   
I shared this before but can't remember if it was on ATS or not.

The HighGate Ghost Chicken link The ghost of the worlds first ever frozen chicken caught and stuffed with snow by Francis Bacon

Bacon died after catching a chill performing the "experiment"

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 05:38 AM
link   
reply to post by EvilSadamClone

Sounds interesting. Thanks for sharein I'd never heard of it. an i live in Cali.

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 05:42 AM
link   
reply to post by davespanners

WOW that is a very... unique story that is for sure.

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 08:35 AM
link   
The Devils Triangle! There's alot fo course on this area.

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 06:17 PM
link   
There is on about the Pope Lick monster, but I know basically nothing about that.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 05:32 AM
link   
reply to post by KingArthur

name rings a bell but not really sure what all its about.

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 07:50 PM
link   
I live in the sacramento area of california, and being a typical suburb, our urban legends suck. Haha there's a few spots of forested areas scattered around in the middle of suburbia with some myths. Apparently Korean immigrants live in one area of dense trees and brush. A really good one is Dyers lane. Its a short stretch of road a few miles from suburbia. All kinds of myths including hauntings by ghosts off kkk victims, witch covens, and just creepy stuff. its in the middle of a grass plane but because of it being a little dense in ground water, is surrounded by like 4 acres on either side of 100+ year old oak trees that cave around this old two lane road. everyone i know has some sort of story about it, firsthand or common myth. www.sacramentopress.com...
^^^good article about dyer lane. but yeah, going through at night you get an overpowering adrenaline response and just fear. theres also an abandoned slaughter house there. haha it's every definition and stereotype of creepy.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 05:19 AM
link   
There are lots of ledgends associated with my area. One is the world famous Nessie, of whom most of you will have heard. Another, who was very famous in his day was Alestair Crowley, once described as "the wickedest man in the World" or "the other Loch Ness Monster". He was said to have attempted to summon up a deamon at Boleskin House, and there are a lot of stories of strange happenings at that house. St Columba is also said to have visited the area, and have banished the monster back into the Loch when it attacked one of his followers.
One of the more recent myths surrounded the sightings of a big cat not far from here. However, the sightings turned out to be true, and a puma was caught, and lived out the rest of its life in a local wildlife park. It is stuffed and on display in Inverness museum. Loch Ashie ,northwest of Inverness, is said to be haunted by a ghostly battle on Beltain.
There is a clootie well at Munlochy. It is said to cure illness. You have to circle the well three times in the direction of the sun, spill some well water on the ground, then tie a piece of cloth that has touched the sick person to a nearby tree. As the cloth rots away, the sick person gets better. It is still much used today. There are many more tales involving ghosts, fairy folk and the like.
edit on 24-7-2012 by froglet because: My typing is terrible.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 02:02 PM
link   
For those in the Pacific NW, you may have heard of Mel's Hole...

Mel Waters and the Devil's Holes

For decades residents from the Manastash Ridge region have talked about one of the most unusual aspects of the sprawling landscape that haloed their hometown. Hidden nearby, on a densely forested parcel of private property, was a seemingly bottomless well that was surrounded by an aura of mystery and danger.

From Wiki:

Mel's Hole is a supposed geographic anomaly discovered by Mel Waters on his land near Ellensburg, Washington. Waters claimed that he lived in or near Manastash Ridge, Washington, about nine miles due west of Ellensburg, though later investigation revealed that no such person was listed as a resident. According to Waters, the hole has paranormal properties, including a possibly infinite depth and the ability to restore dead animals to life.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 02:08 PM
link   
...and of course, Bigfoot

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 02:16 AM
link   
reply to post by osoba

Wow it really is uncommon for suburbs to have urban legends now that I think of it.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 02:18 AM
link   
reply to post by froglet

please do share when you get more time.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 02:55 AM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

Wow great read thanks for shareing. Probably one of the more interesting or extravagant urban legends that I have heard or read about. That guy is eaither really insane or a good storyteller.

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 11:23 PM
link   
Somewhere in West Philadelphia, you will find an old basketball court with a single ball lying in the middle. Pick it up and start shooting hoops. After a while, a small group of hooligans will approach you and challenge you to a fight, which you must accept. After the fight, you must go home and relay the events to your mother. She will then inform you that you have an aunt and uncle living in one of the districts of Los Angeles, and out of fear, she will send you to live there for an indefinite period of time.

With your bags packed, go to the street corner, and whistle for a cab. The cab that will pull up will bear the word FRESH on the license plate, and upon closer inspection, novelty fuzzy dice will hang in the mirror. Although you will suddenly realize that cabs like these are extremely hard to find, do not bear any thought to it. At this point you MUST point out in front of the car and say ‘Yo Holmes to Bel Air’. You will stop in front of a mansion, and it will be sometime between 7 and 8 o’clock, even though it will feel like you’ve been traveling mere seconds. Get your luggage out and say ‘Yo Holmes, smell ya later!’, but do NOT turn back to face the cabby. Walk up to the door, look over your shoulder once, and then knock on the door three times.

If you follow these instructions, your life will get flip-turned upside-down.

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 11:30 PM
link   
The Hookerman...bwahhhh!

I live a few miles from this tale.

theghostsocietyofutah.angelfire.com...

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 03:46 AM
link   
We have a lot of odd critters and stories running around in the dense woods and unobserved wilderness of the Ozarks.. There's the Ozark Howler (Haunted Highway did a great episode on that, you should check it out. They also included the Skinwalkers of Utah), and we also have Momo and Whitey, both river monsters like Nessie. There's also a rumor going around that we have a bigfoot-like creature, called the Ozark Blue Man for his raven-blue fur.
As far as ghosts, we have the Crescent Moon Hotel, Mountain View's ghost train whistle, and some other spots around, but not a whole lot is outstanding. Just google any of these names to get some info.
This isn't local to me, but my youth pastor from the mountains of eastern Kentucky told about his family being known locally as "white witches" in the sense that they could rub warts, tell the future to some extent, etc.
Except his aunt wasn't "white" about her magic at all, and did all those things that gave witches their reputation, like making some boys who were bugging her stand on their heads all night. One man who crossed her seemed to get very sick, losing weight and always tired, finally he admitted that this witch came to him every night in his dreams and rode him like a horse til dawn. After he told someone, it stopped. (I trust my youth pastor to tell the truth, but I don't know the validity of the others involved)

<< 1    3 >>

join