It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bratwurst wrapped in Pretzel Dough

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 10:49 PM
link   
Ok Ok, I know I should make up some fancy name like Brats in a Bun or something, but nothing I could come up with sounded both "clean" and interesting at the same time

So for this thread, I will tell you how I made entree show in the pic below:

First, you get yerself some tasty Bratwurst. Full sized variety is best as those tiny anemic brats you sometimes find selling for way too much money are just not worth it.

Now, make the pretzel dough as shown here: tastykitchen.com...

When it gets to the point of wanting you to make 2oz rolls, we begin to deviate a bit. If you have 5" brats, then the amount of dough you have should easily cover 10 brats. If you have less than 10, then experiment with portioning it out and don't worry too much about wasting it, since you can use the leftover dough to make pretzel rolls or what not.

I had 10 brats, so I pressed that dough into a log shape and cut 10 equal pieces out of it.

At this point, fire up your skillet and cook those brats on high heat (rotating them occasionally) for about 5 minutes max. You don't want to fully cook the brats yet, just sear the outside a bit. This keeps the juices inside and ensures that the brats will be fully cooked. When done, set the brats aside for a bit to cool off.

While they are cooling off, take your dough pieces and roll them out to rectangle wrappers slightly longer than your brat and about 4 times the diameter. For each dough wrapper, moisten the outside edges with a bit of water using your fingers or a pastry brush. Now set the brat in the center and roll it up. This takes practice. try differant approaches to wrap them into a nice log shape like in the picture. As you wrap each one, place it on a lightly floured counter or cookie sheet to wait.

When you have all your brats wrapped, you are ready to poach them. First, preheat your oven to 425 then start a big ol bucket of water boiling. When it is boiling, add 3 Tbs Baking Soda per 2 qts water. Now CAREFULLY place your brats into the boiling water for about a minute each. Don't overload the pot or you'll have water spilling out making a huge mess, a lot of noise, and getting people all kinds of upset at you.

As you take the brats out, set them on a lightly oiled cookie sheet. Once they are all done, baste them lightly with a beaten egg to show them what for. Make sure you slather that egg all over the outside where you can reach with a basting brush. Then place them in the oven for about 25 minutes. If after 25 minutes, they are not lightly browned, cook them a few minutes longer, checking on them occasionally till they look something like the pic.

Finally take them out and enjoy them with some sauerkraut and julianned potatoes and some beer. Or just eat them alone, either way. It's your food, eat it like you want.

Hope you can figure all this out and enjoy.. It was yummy for me and no I have no leftovers to share.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 10:53 PM
link   
you sir get an S&F how can i order these for delivery....you made me freaken hungry :O...that looks fricken delicious..

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 10:53 PM
link   
I'll order a batch too those look amazing way to go

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 11:10 PM
link   
You had me at brat, next up Chorizo. What do you got for that?

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 11:12 PM
link   
All I can say is FREAKIN YUM!!!

it reminds me of Bagel Dogs
but even tastier...Kudos to you!!!

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 11:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by bphi1908
You had me at brat, next up Chorizo. What do you got for that?

Queso Flameado, Migas, and Breakfast Tacos

edit on 9-26-2011 by rogerstigers because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Not quite as culinary, but lately, there is this Pillsbury commercial where they show crescent cheese dogs, and damn if they don't look good.

Basically, get the crescent rolls, put a piece of cheddar around the hot dog, then wrap it up in the crescent roll, and bake.

I might have to try that, sounds yummy (but not all that healthy)....

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by rogerstigers

Oh that looks absolutely killer with the fried potatoes and kraut. A big ice cold mug of beer and some Koop's Dusseldorf mustard and I'm there.

The only thing I might do differently is cook the brats in beer on a slow simmer, then brown them a bit in a skillet or on the grill prior to wrapping them.

Yum.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 08:20 PM
link   
OMG this looks yummy!!

This will be added to my list of ATS member recipes to make!

Now Im hungry

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 01:07 AM
link   
I can see this going so well with a beer and some quality mustard. Looks like some true german food, I am making this tomorrow for my brother and I. S&F

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Looks awesome! But, it would be GREAT if one could buy some ready-made pretzel dough. Anyone know of that on the market yet?
edit on 12-10-2011 by LeatherNLace because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join