It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Homework promoting polygamy & Islam garb sent home with students

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 12:34 PM
link   
IMO - I think the material is ok in a balanced context. I'm not sure if one was provided.

That said - I think that middle school is the wrong time to teach this.

Girls are really floundering with gender issues anyway - most have not developed abstract thinking skills.

This seems much more like high school material to me.
It seems very age inappropriate, and I think I'd be upset if it were my daughter too, but it wouldn't be, because I don't have one and if I did, you can bet she would be schooled at home

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Afterthought
reply to post by newcovenant

So, as long as you're learning for free, you should be groomed however the system deems appropriate?
I don't have a problem with uniforms either, but to hell with someone teaching my son or daughter that it's OK to have more than one wife.

School is not free, taxpayers pay for it and are therefore are the "client." In any business, if you piss off the client or don't do the job they want, you lose clients. Unfortunately, since the public education system derives its funding from taxpayers with no real or effective control of the "product" supplied by the government, it seems the government doesn't think we are clients.

If you don't like what the government is doing, STOP PAYING TAXES and STOP SUPPORTING THE CORRUPT SYSTEM! The only way you are going to get change is to stop feeding the beast.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 12:35 PM
link   
I wouldn't doubt that all of this is going to lead to a whole generation of adults that are going to be very confused individuals.

On one hand, we're alligning school dress codes to female Muslim garb at the same time we're calling people from the Middle East terrorists. It wasn't long ago that most Americans were up in arms about Mosques being built at ground zero. Now, we have our own politicians and representatives joining the Muslim Brotherhood while the FBI has deemed them to be a terrorist organization.

All of this is doing nothing except to confuse and cause anger. Divide and conquor.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnnyCanuck

Why silly it is always the man's fault

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by newcovenant
reply to post by Afterthought

I hate to sound like CHINA but personally I think all students should wear uniforms like they do in private schools and the boys and girls should be separated for classes so each could concentrate on studies.

Sorry but you only get one chance to learn for free.

You better get the most out of it.

Why would you want to learn half the garbage they teach you in school. I'm glad I've forgotten most of it. Anything truly useful and worth remembering has retained itself in my mind .

All those " Equations I'm going to need " though I've yet to run into a situation where I've needed to find the square root of something, or had to do anything other than basic math.

Obviously anything more you can learn in college. ( for math and what not )

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by bobs_uruncle
If you don't like what the government is doing, STOP PAYING TAXES and STOP SUPPORTING THE CORRUPT SYSTEM! The only way you are going to get change is to stop feeding the beast.

Howz that workin' for ya so far?

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Charmed707
reply to post by RedGod

Why are you complaining about the way kids dress? Why not complain about the way adults dress? THEY are the ones who set the standard for the younger generations.

I'm actually somewhat surprised to hear of such blatant propoganda in a Georgia school. I graduated (public) high school last year, having been schooled in Ga my entire school career, and never ran across something like that.

Because adults are old enough to dress that way. High-school kids should not be dressing as provocatively as they are. People get surprised when guys, especially adult guys, pressure these girls into sex but it's hard to blame them when you see what they wear.

Adults should be setting the boundaries, not the standard.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 01:04 PM
link   

reply to post by RedGod

When it's OK for a woman to have five husbands, I'll support polygamy.

I could have one man fixing the roof, one man repairing my car, one man in the kitchen, one man cutting my grass, and one in the bedroom all at the same time. Why is this wrong? I'd get so much more done!

While this is probably a bit tongue-in-cheek, it's actually one of the biggest problems with polygamy: people don't understand it.

Our relationships are very often depicted as some sort of man-run dictatorship. Both my wives have the same amount of say in what goes on as I do. They are equals all around in our relationship. We all work in and out of the home. No one fans me with palm fronds or feeds me grapes. (Well, sometimes they feed me grapes, but that's usually when I'm changing a diaper or doing dishes.)

There are a great many poly relationships (non-religious) in which a woman has multiple (average of two, from last I remember) men. Those of us that support polygamy outside of a religious context have absolutely no problem with this. People that don't support it, of course, have a problem with all of it.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by RedGod
High-school kids should not be dressing as provocatively as they are. People get surprised when guys, especially adult guys, pressure these girls into sex but it's hard to blame them when you see what they wear.

Interesting twist...in a discussion assailing religious precepts about not dressing provocatively so as not to 'inflame men's baser urges'...we have a defence of statutory rape based upon dressing provocatively.

Hard to say what to make of that!

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohnnyCanuck

High-school kids should not be dressing as provocatively as they are. People get surprised when guys, especially adult guys, pressure these girls into sex but it's hard to blame them when you see what they wear.

Interesting twist...in a discussion assailing religious precepts about not dressing provocatively so as not to 'inflame men's baser urges'...we have a defence of statutory rape based upon dressing provocatively.

Hard to say what to make of that!

Talk about twist. I never defended it. Just because you can see why a person would do something doesn't mean you think it's right. I can see why someone would carjack a guy driving an Aston Martin, doesn't mean I think he's doing the right thing.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   
You don't ask a child if it's better to dress like men want you to or like god wants you to while they are in school. Period.

There is a separation of church and state for a reason. If I ever have children and I find out they are being taught JUNK like this in their school, I will take them out of public schooling and teach them myself.

There is no purpose why a school should be teaching children about ANY religion. Religious structures are hardly fundamental to the furthering of mankind, and if you ask me it does nothing, but impair our ability to tolerate one another.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by RedGod

If a polygamous lifestyle works for you, that's fine. Although you are only pointing out the positives, I'd be interested to see the negatives of your relationships.

I really was beng tongue in cheek when I was talking about all the men I could have doing what's needed around here. I wouldn't be cracking a whip though, but it would be fun to see them argue about whose turn it was to do manual labor and whose turn it was for bedroom duty.

Polygamy wouldn't work for me. I wouldn't want to share my man with anyone else and I wouldn't want to be dividing myself between two men. If I could find just ONE man who I could have a mature and fulfilling relationship with, that would be fine with me. I have no need for more than one partner.

Now, considering Americans and the rate of divorce and level of communication American couples have, polygamy would be a disaster. We actually do have polygamy in America. Just watch Maury Povich. It's just that nobody stays together after they father/mother children with more than one person. Sad, really.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Just because you can see why a person would do something doesn't mean you think it's right. I can see why someone would carjack a guy driving an Aston Martin, doesn't mean I think he's doing the right thing.

"it's hard to blame them when you see what they wear. " looks like blaming the victim to me, and is precisely the rationale used in conservative societies to cover women up. The rest is simply a matter of scale.

Incidentally...I don't believe I've seen rape statistics go up since they legalised women 'going topless' in Ontario.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Have the number of auto accidents increased?

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by newcovenant

I hate to sound like CHINA but personally I think all students should wear uniforms like they do in private schools and the boys and girls should be separated for classes so each could concentrate on studies.

Sorry but you only get one chance to learn for free.

You better get the most out of it.

Yeah - me too. At least until high school. But - - I think high school too.

I pulled my grandson out of his private Christian school - - when they sent flyers home with the kids - - for their parents to fight against gay rights.

They were also starting to harass him in school - - because his mom had stopped attending church on Sunday.

It was Arizona - - the schools suck. He is a very intelligent kid. Sure wish there were more non-religious private schools.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Have the number of auto accidents increased?

Good question...wouldn't suprise me a bit!
However, it's really not something one sees very much.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by mamabeth

Don't you know...separation between church and state
only applies to christian faiths'

What a fool I am...seriously.

To forget that the country has largely banned prayers and nativities in the schools...

While the public funds public foot baths for certain religious sects.

I am just hoping, I guess, that we rise above this and honour our Constitution as (I believe) was intended.

One can always hope, albeit naively....

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Because adults are old enough to dress that way. High-school kids should not be dressing as provocatively as they are. People get surprised when guys, especially adult guys, pressure these girls into sex but it's hard to blame them when you see what they wear.

Adults should be setting the boundaries, not the standard.

There's not any difference between a sexually mature teenager dressing provocatively and an 'adult' dressing the same way. You mean to tell me certain clothing is innapropriate for a 16 or 17-year-old, but suddenly when they turn the magic number of 18, it's not? Adults dressing and behaving a certain way, all the while telling their kids not to is downright hypocritical...."do as I say, not as I do". Who could respect that? When there are nearly NO boundaries in the adult world, there's not going to be for the generation they're raising either.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohnnyCanuck
"it's hard to blame them when you see what they wear. " looks like blaming the victim to me, and is precisely the rationale used in conservative societies to cover women up. The rest is simply a matter of scale.

Incidentally...I don't believe I've seen rape statistics go up since they legalised women 'going topless' in Ontario.

I suppose this misunderstanding is due to regional differences in the application of the phrase I used. My fault. I don't advocate in any way the action I depicted, to be clear.

I also have no problem with adults wearing (or not wearing) anything they want. It's when kids start dressing like those adults the problem occurs.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Oh, we have the same problems as anyone else, I assure you. I've spent my fair share of time on the couch. and when one person is unhappy, usually everyone is unhappy. I would think that problems tend to be a little more magnified than in other relationships.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join