It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Amish men jailed over orange safety triangles

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Of course not passing is an option. See, this is why I say idiot drivers. God forbid the big bright vehicle with brake lights slow down for a period of time until passing is a possibility.

No, instead they floor it and shoot a six inch gap between my shoulder on one side and an oncoming car on the other who is subsequently being pushed into rolling through a ditch lest they collide with the driver who must be racing to cure cancer or save orphans from a burning building because slowing the hell down for 30 seconds just cant be done.

Some plastic to avoid all that isn't too much to ask....

That's a nice sentiment but buggies with reflectors are certainly hit. And bike that glow like radioactive meltdowns are hit. Which is evidence that the driver doing the hitting would hit regardless of visibility.
edit on 16-9-2011 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 01:03 PM
link   
A few of you keep stating that they are on public roads, were they public roads when the Amish first settled there? Were the taken from them by the greedy state government without any consideration to the Amish that travel those paths?
Yes, I agree that they are putting themselves and others in grave danger and that it would only take a simple reflector on the back of their buggy to avoid most issues, but as another poster mentioned, who are we to force our beliefs and practices upon this religious group.
Maybe instead of blaming them we should look at the situation we placed, no make that forced, them into and adjust our speed limits and put more warning signs in those areas.
Just saying.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

You should check out the other thread on this. Do you live near the Amish?

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 01:09 PM
link   

edit on 16-9-2011 by Swills because: double post, double your please, double your fun

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by nh_ee

Coming from Ohio and Amish country, I remember as a young kid in the 60's coming upon their buggies on the old 2 lane back roads of Ohio and Indiana.

And because their buggies are completely Black, like stealth aircraft, you really couldn't see the tiny little 2" reflector affixed to the back until you were practically right behind them.

Factor in the rolling hills and/or inclement/foggy weather into the equation and the tiny reflectors they used were pretty much entirely useless.

There were quite a few deadly accidents back in the day as a result.

As much as I hate more govt. intervention in our lives, in this case I am sad to say it really is for their own safety, as well as their family's.

Quoted for truth! I have family living in Indiana and Ohio and have the Amish as their neighbors, so when I visit them I hear first hand accounts of the interactions between them and the Amish. They love the Amish, except when their on the roads.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Swills

You should check out the other thread on this. Do you live near the Amish?

Many years ago I did but at this point the Amish and their buggies are irrelevant to the subject.

Reflectors or not they are hit. Reflectors or not bikes are hit. Reflectors or not scooters, joggers, deer, moose, other cars, buildings, trees, telephone poles etc... are all hit.

We could coat everything in this world with high-viz reflecting neon paint and drivers would still plow into any and all things and they would continue to climb dazed and confused (if they dont just outright drive away) of their cars and blame the thing they hit.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Maybe they should jump ship to Islam as this would not happen in North America if they were Muslims.

Amish apart from being very odd and looking weird deserve m ore respect and tolerance than the Islamic clt members.

Jail - well it looks like America will jail you for anything (except if you are a corrupt political figure)

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 01:50 PM
link   

All I can say is we all can agree to disagree.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   

So drivers should drive at a snails space to avoid illegal vehicles?

If a driver hits them below the legal limit at night, its the fault of the amish for not having lights. Just as its the fault of the cyclist for being run over without lights.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Flyer

Of course not. We all know it's never the drivers fault.

Whoever the majority is cannot ever be held responsible for anything. This is America after all.

If it looks like any radical will creep up and make the driver actually be responsible we just pass a law and once again the driver is a blameless saint.

I imagine we're only a few deer fatalities away from ticketing the animal whenever they cross a given distance from a "Deer Xing" sign.

It's like some arms race to see who's dumber. The driver or the animal.
edit on 16-9-2011 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 02:21 PM
link   

I'd like your opinion on this as you're strictly a bicyclist and don't ever drive a car (I base this assumption on the fact that you don't say 'we' when referring to car drivers)... Who is at fault when a mountain bikers hits a hiker on a specified or well known bike trail? I have almost hit quite a few hikers and they get really mad...saying the same things you express here.

Seems like common sense to stay out the way of things that are bigger, faster and more numerous than you, that's why I never bike on any major roadway and I sure wouldn't ride a buggy on one.

edit on 9/16/2011 by RedParrotHead because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   
The Amish should buy up every Horse in America.

The world's about out of oil. They could turn around and sell each horse for $100 million. You either pay or you walk.

The days of oil are about over.

The Amish shouldn't be jailed for not having a Orange Triangle.

Horses don't need Orange Triangles.
Bicycles don't need Orange Triangles.
Low Speed Vehicles don't need Orange Triangles.

If you wanted to ride a Elephant down the road...doesn't need an orange triangle.

Poor Amish....Pennsylvania's Democrats are hurting for money so they're shaking down the Amish for some $$$$.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Swills
reply to post by shauny

Already posted, www.abovetopsecret.com...

Thread closed.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join