It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

PBS alters transcript to hide Obama gaffe

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 04:40 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by ThirdEyeofHorus

Only problem is that Lincoln was the first republican president.

Elected 4 years or so after the party was formed.

Origins of the Republican Party

The gavel fell to open the Party's first nominating convention, in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, on June 17, 1856, announcing the birth of the Republican Party as a unified political force.

So there was no gaffe cover up to begin with.

edit on 10-9-2011 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Obama has been leaking State Secrets discretely in a way they can't punish him.

57 US States....

50 States plus Guam, Puerto Rico, Northern Marianas Islands, Virgin Islands, American Samoa, Palau, Federated States of Micronesia.......all places your dollars must support for the military.

Lincoln the Founder of the Republican Party......

Lincoln got Russia to get their entire Atlantic AND Pacific Naval Fleets to port in Union ports in the US Civil War......thus creating the FEDERAL REPUBLIC......the Southern Democrats opposed. They wanted States Rights.

It was RUSSIA who forced Lincoln to end Slavery, in exchange for their support in the US Civil War. If it wasn't for Lincoln getting Russia's military to support him.....there would be no big US Federal Government with their foot on your throat.
edit on 10-9-2011 by Pervius because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 05:49 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThirdEyeofHorus
reply to post by Aihttik

Wasn't MY OP,

Then read it and get a clue as to the topic.

and yes, the real truth behind all this is that the MSM is behind Obama and will cover up his gaffes if they can, while the Left pummels Sarah calling her dummy and saying she doesn't know her history. I have read enough commentary on that one Paul Revere quote to last a lifetime. At best, they have created enough confusion by putting out different versions of his statement. These people are adept at creating confusion.

Waaaaaaaaaaah poor Sarah Palin. This OP fails and it is the lefty MSM beating on Sarah again. Of course.

edit: ahahahaha! PBS says one version was the prepared statement and the other is the actual!!! hahaha that means that whoever wrote that speech either did not know his history or they deliberately meant to mislead. Either way, someone didn't know their history.
edit on 10-9-2011 by ThirdEyeofHorus because: (no reason given)

It actually says which is which. I am surprised you missed that opportunity to lay the blame right at Obama's feet where it actually belongs this time.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 05:53 PM
link   
reply to post by centurion1211

Just because PBS wised up and fixed their deliberate editing of the obama transcript, doesn't excuse them for omitting the obama error in the first place. It just means wiser heads prevailed.

There was no EDITING...none at all. The published a VALID version of the speech...the PREPARED speech.

I know you aren't that clueless...so I am left to believe that you are purposefully trying to spread mis-information.

Shame on you.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 06:06 PM
link   

ATTENTION!!!!!

This will be the only warning.

There will be NO MORE personal attacks on other members!!!!!
Further remarks directed at member may result in temporary 72-hour post bans.

Post civilly or not at all. Please stay on topic.

Terms & Conditions Of Use

ALL MEMBERS: We expect civility and decorum within all topics

--Off Topic, One Liners and General Back Scratching Posts--

Ad Hominem Attacks And You

Trolling, And What To Do About It

YOU are responsible for your own posts

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   
I think PBS got caught red handed on this one.

The left MSM outlets will use any trick that will stick.

This one got their message across just fine to the "flock", then it was easy street to simply correct and disclaim and create the delusions illusions.

Internet web pages make it real easy.

Printed papers and magazines are harder to "correct" after printing and selling !

trouble is, the damage was done both times ......

The smart people won't buy the empty bottle !!!!

It was all done on-purpose, not by "mistake".

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 06:26 PM
link   
i think the second post in this thread summed up the truth very well.
i only wish reading comprehension was high enough among people so that it would have ended there

i will repeat the main point since people seem to be missing it.

PBS published the prepared speech, which was given to them BY THE WHITE HOUSE.

the president gave the speech but added a few phrases here and there.

PBS then updated the speech to add those parts in.

the only editing was in ADDING the new parts, not SUBTRACTING.

everyone needs to learn not to trust everything people tell you, especially when people are telling you what you should believe.

you need to find out the truth for yourself, and figure out your own mind on it.

this thread has far too many people parroting the OP without any logical reason for it.
edit on 10-9-2011 by BohemianBrim because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by OutKast Searcher

2. I go to look at the PBS website...the remarks in question are right there in the PBS transcript with a note saying that they PREVIOUSLY had the PREPARED speech posted (which didn't have the remarks in question) but they have now posted teh DELIVERED speech that DOES have the remarks in question.

So the Obama speech writer (actually writers) went back and added wrong information? Wow, that's pretty dumb. I'd have those writers fired if I were him. Or maybe that was an ad lib. In which case, he needs to stop campaigning in our 57 states. He must be really tired.

/TOA

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Old American

2. I go to look at the PBS website...the remarks in question are right there in the PBS transcript with a note saying that they PREVIOUSLY had the PREPARED speech posted (which didn't have the remarks in question) but they have now posted teh DELIVERED speech that DOES have the remarks in question.

So the Obama speech writer (actually writers) went back and added wrong information? Wow, that's pretty dumb. I'd have those writers fired if I were him. Or maybe that was an ad lib. In which case, he needs to stop campaigning in our 57 states. He must be really tired.

/TOA

what information do you believe was wrong?

look up the phrase "the party of Lincoln"

just because they dont teach history in school anymore, doesnt mean you cant learn it on your own.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by BohemianBrim

/TOA

what information do you believe was wrong?

look up the phrase "the party of Lincoln"

just because they dont teach history in school anymore, doesnt mean you cant learn it on your own.

Do research. Learn history. Be smart. And while you're at it, brush up on land grant universities and the Central and Union Pacific Railroads.

/TOA

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 07:03 PM
link   
reply to post by The Old American

Care to point out what information was wrong? Just in case it was Lincoln being one of the founders of the GOP then here's the answer straight from the GOP.

GOP: Who we are

In 1856, the Republicans became a national party by nominating John C. Fremont for President. Four years later, with the election of Abraham Lincoln in 1860, the Republicans firmly established themselves as a major political party. The name "Republican" was chosen because it alluded to equality and reminded individuals of Thomas Jefferson's Democratic-Republican Party.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 07:25 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211
reply to post by OutKast Searcher

So PBS got caught being political and then decided to do the right thing - for a change. Maybe they are worried about their funding.

At least I do try and post original articles.

Some like you just make their "living" here posting deflections, insults and cheap shots.

edit on Sat Sep 10 2011 by DontTreadOnMe because: Mod Note: Big Quote – Please Review This Link.
It would be easier just admitting you were wrong, the irony of you trying to blame PBS for being political here, is not lost on me sir.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by daskakik

Care to point out what information was wrong? Just in case it was Lincoln being one of the founders of the GOP then here's the answer straight from the GOP.

GOP: Who we are

In 1856, the Republicans became a national party by nominating John C. Fremont for President. Four years later, with the election of Abraham Lincoln in 1860, the Republicans firmly established themselves as a major political party. The name "Republican" was chosen because it alluded to equality and reminded individuals of Thomas Jefferson's Democratic-Republican Party.

What information is wrong? Let's start with the information that Lincoln founded the Republican party. The party was founded by Alvan Bovay, 6 years before Lincoln became their first nominated president, and he wasn't even their first nomination. The election of Lincoln in 1860 was their first major victory, but he had little to do with its founding, short of being a supporter and member.

Seriously people, if you're not a U.S. citizen, I can understand your lack of even rudimentary knowledge of American history. Otherwise, please stop posting on subjects you have zero knowledge of, or even worse, subjects you only think you have some insight on.

/TOA

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 08:50 PM
link   

you are arguing semantics.

it was a speech, not a history lesson. there is a difference.

regardless, it is very far from the point of this thread, which was about PBS doing something that PBS did not do.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 09:16 PM
link   

What information is wrong? Let's start with the information that Lincoln founded the Republican party. The party was founded by Alvan Bovay, 6 years before Lincoln became their first nominated president, and he wasn't even their first nomination. The election of Lincoln in 1860 was their first major victory, but he had little to do with its founding, short of being a supporter and member.

Do you really think the GOP would just randomly choose someone to be their candidate for president?
The rise of the republican party and Lincoln

The Rise of Abraham Lincoln
One former Whig who supported the Republican platform was one-time Illinois congressman and noted attorney Abraham Lincoln. He attended the party's first meeting in 1856 and liked what he heard and saw. The Republicans nominated Western explorer John C. Fremont as their first presidential candidate for the 1856 election. Fremont was defeated by Democrat James Buchanan. Over the next four years, Lincoln became a party leader, both at the state and national level. In 1860, he became the second Republican candidate. In November of that year, he became the first Republican president.

So yes he was there from the official beginning and I would think that founding members and supporters are part of the group of founders, and a leader even more so, even if he wasn't the guy that came up with the idea in the first place.

Besides the OP is about a speech which was actually just a place holder (as written) until the speech that was actually given was transcribed and not the other way around.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 11:19 PM
link   
I thought he was referencing Lincolns association with the "whigs" who split or went their ways and or switched over to "Republican". I got the idea either way due to his early association, which can be either considered or mistaken, depending on your view of what a founder may or may not be. And.. I thought Bovay named the party...and did a good job of calling people together to form one but maybe not so much created it all by himself. One man a party doesn't make. Unless your Caesar, King, Supreme ruler or Dictator... O.o then it is simply the me party which the Republican party is clearly not.

Point being, they probably should have been a little more clear so that people wouldnt have looked at each other like uhhh..howbout no. Unless there was some sort of esoteric intent which probably meant- go look it up. By the way, leave the immigrants alone
That's just family who hasn't made it or decided to come here yet.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 11:36 PM
link   
Jeez, more feigned outrage from petty minds over something that never even occurred. Why does that not surprise me anymore?

The WH releases a copy of the planned speech's transcript early to media outlets, which includes the phrase "Lincoln was the founder of the Republican party", which the president does not include in his actual speech (and wisely so, as it's not completely accurate). The version of the speech posted by PBS, along with all the Fox-affiliated networks, reflects the ACTUAL speech spoken aloud by the president.

blah blah left-wing media blah blah Obama is the antichrist blah blah.

The "American Thinker"? Hardly.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join