It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chiropractors. Chiropractic. DC degree. Did I make a mistake?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 10:35 PM
link   
I was recently enrolled in a Chiropractic college for 2 weeks. I couldn't go through with it ( I didn't believe in it). I dropped out.

It seemed like it was worth it at the time, as a means to an end with my education. I have tried for years to get into graduate schools, but Chiro accepted me with little effort on my part. However, the more I researched, the more negativity I found surrounding the profession. There is also a huge lack of scientific research.

I wanted to be someone who could tell my patients why I was doing something and what the benefits were. I just couldn't do that in Chiro. It seems to be all hear-say.

I am now applying to other graduate programs again. Do you feel like I made a mistake? I talk to a lot of people that love chiropractors, but I the general thoughts on them is very negative. I didn't want to defend/feel ashamed for myself for the rest of my life.

Also the percentage of people who frequent chiropractors has stayed steady over the years, but enrollment has been more than double since its hay-day-and it is only increasing. More chiropractors=less money.

Then there is the fact that DC schools cost 200,000+. That came out to about 16,000 per trimester. Almost 50,000 a year. Salaries of established practitioners average in the 80 grand range (20+years-this was taken from a chiropractic journal not off hand source). In saturated areas like Bradenton/Sarasota, FL practitioners only make about 40k/year. Interns and people trying to establish themselves come out making less than 30,000 a year with 200,000+ debt if they are lucky.

In the end what would I get? The cost of school is the same as med school and I wouldn't have even been able to prescribe meds. I would not be considered a real doctor-most look down on the profession it seems. Furthermore with class sizes increasing almost exponentially, there would be an unbelievable amount of competition for a meager 30k or less job after a 3-5 year commitment and 200k in debt. I would have had to been committed 110% to make that leap.

So should I have stayed with it? Did I make the best or worst decision in my life?
edit on 30-8-2011 by adraves because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 10:45 PM
link   
reply to post by adraves

I think you made a good decision. I think chiropractors generally do more harm than good.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by juleol
reply to post by adraves

I think you made a good decision. I think chiropractors generally do more harm than good.

Thanks for the reply. As for doing harm there are a lot of horror stories of chiropractors hurting patients. Some have broke the patients neck.

Story-When my mother was pregnant with me she went to a chiropractor for back pain. The chiropractor ended up breaking 3 of her ribs. She stop seeing chiropractors for years, but has recently gone back.

I hope I made the right decision. It still worries me that I should have gone through with it...

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 11:16 PM
link   
reply to post by adraves

It really depends on the type of Chiropractor you want to be. There are incredibly crazy chiro's out there, no doubt. But there are also some very good ones.
I work in a chiropractors office as a Sports Massage Therapist. And I can attest first hand how it helps my clients in conjunction with what I'm doing. The chiros that I work with are some of the ONLY chiropractors who are referred to by Orthopedic Surgeons. They also work with our professional sports teams. I even refer my Olympic athletes to them. The three chiros I work with have over 20,000 clients between the three of them. And the business yearly income is over $1 Million. So, it all depends on your dedication to the quality of education you receive.
That said.... before I met the Chiro I work with, I swore of chiropractors. There were too many that were crazy, or shady. Too many who could easily cross the line into malpractice. And too many that didn't understand what they were doing, and instead caused harm. So, if you are willing to put the effort into understanding the career, and really knowing what it is you want to do - you can be good. Also - make sure you go to the right school. It sounds like you would do better in a more clinical and western approach that the common eastern approach with chiropractic.
Best of luck.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 11:18 PM
link   
reply to post by juleol

They have one move, the side back-crack. That's all they got.

I have been to a couple. Same thing both times.... Let's take an x-ray, now "Lean" sideways into the wall.

Wow- the xray comes back and your hips are tilted!!! Your out of alignment!!! Ummm... no, you had me lean into the wall, thus making one hip higher than the other as I was not standing up straight. How dumb do they think we are? Do people really fall for that? I thought one was a quack so I went to another, which did the same bull.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by infolurker
reply to post by juleol

They have one move, the side back-crack. That's all they got.

I have been to a couple. Same thing both times.... Let's take an x-ray, now "Lean" sideways into the wall.

Wow- the xray comes back and your hips are tilted!!! Your out of alignment!!! Ummm... no, you had me lean into the wall, thus making one hip higher than the other as I was not standing up straight. How dumb do they think we are? Do people really fall for that? I thought one was a quack so I went to another, which did the same bull.

Yeah... you got a crap chiropractor. Like I said, there are very few out there who know what they are actually doing. The guys I work with are much much MUCH better than that. Celebs, Olympic, Professional, Semi-pro and everyone in between... You don't get their reputation by being a crap chiropractor.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 11:28 PM
link   
reply to post by CeeRZ

I am more inclined towards western medicine. Everything is clinical, orderly, and proven. There is research that supports the procedure/drug that is given, and it is accessible.

As for Chiro. I really wanted to believe. I did a lot of research. It is proven effective for some (very limited) amounts of lower back pain. Other than that, there is no research that is conclusive or positive about chiro.

I guess I don't feel like I believe in it enough to be able to convince others. I pretty much only felt ashamed.

PS~Did you send a complaint in on one of my threads that was deleted? It had something to do with predictions and San Francisco, or maybe it was Saint Francis, or maybe Solid Ferrite or Senor Frogs. Hrm. No humor left in this world.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 11:35 PM
link   
reply to post by CeeRZ

I am agreeing with you that is probably a crap chiropractor.

Yeah, even though I had a brief time in their folds I know there are more than 50+ maneuvers that are taught. They also get a lot of the same education as med students in some ways (at least at the school I attended.)

To get around prescriptions they also teach herbal medicine. It sounded so good, but when I started the classes it seemed like I was in middle school. The level I was going to be taught, and the level I actually had to learn (very little) for exams was so far apart I just couldn't do it.

Do you mind me asking what college they went to? Thanks...

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 11:41 PM
link   
reply to post by adraves

Would have to know what field your prior education is in but i'm not sure you would feel comfortable sharing that information. Basically if you weren't sure if you were doing the right thing than you made the right choice. That's a decision no one but you can comment on.

As for other fields to pursue, it's hard to say without knowing what direction you've been going in with regards to your education.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 12:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by kro32
reply to post by adraves

Would have to know what field your prior education is in but i'm not sure you would feel comfortable sharing that information. Basically if you weren't sure if you were doing the right thing than you made the right choice. That's a decision no one but you can comment on.

As for other fields to pursue, it's hard to say without knowing what direction you've been going in with regards to your education.

I have my BS in Biology-Magna Cum Laude. Pre-professional healthcare minor with focus in dentistry.

As for the decision I feel it was right, but I still have regrets about it. That is why I started this thread. Maybe to put some of those fears to bed.

PS~Like the avatar, especially the eye.

It kind of freaks me out though after looking at my own eyes. I don't have red hair though, so it is all good.

edit on 31-8-2011 by adraves because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 12:08 AM
link   
reply to post by adraves

Have you considered working for the military as a civilian? My wife received her masters in biology last semester and has had the Navy trying to recruit her to join as an officer. She refused but then they mentioned she could work as a civilian so that may be a route opened to you.

I'm not knowledgable in the medical field so can't offer much help. Best of luck to you though and I think you made a wise decision.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 12:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by adraves
reply to post by CeeRZ

PS~Did you send a complaint in on one of my threads that was deleted? It had something to do with predictions and San Francisco, or maybe it was Saint Francis, or maybe Solid Ferrite or Senor Frogs. Hrm. No humor left in this world.

Nope, wasn't me. I've actually never submitted a complaint ever... can't say I really know how even. Sorry m'friend.

As for the schools they each went to:
One went to Parker Chiropractic College in Dallas, Texas and has advanced training in sports rehabilitation, with a specialty in muscular stabilization of the spine, hips, knees and ankles
Another completed his undergraduate studies at the University of Utah, and graduated magna cum laude from Life Chiropractic College West, in Hayward, California - and also he has completed post-graduate studies in Chiropractic Biophysics, extremity adjusting, whiplash injuries, low-level laser, and rehabilitation of the cervical and lumbar spine
And the last completed his undergraduate education at Brigham Young University where he majored in biochemistry. He went on to earn his Doctorate of Chiropractic from Los Angeles College of Chiropractic in Whittier, California along with postgraduate training in the treatment of automobile injuries, as well as, extremity, neck, low back, and sport injuries. His studies also included craniosacral therapy, radiology, upper cervical techniques, Activator techniques, nutrition, and weight loss.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 12:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by kro32
reply to post by adraves

Have you considered working for the military as a civilian? My wife received her masters in biology last semester and has had the Navy trying to recruit her to join as an officer. She refused but then they mentioned she could work as a civilian so that may be a route opened to you.

I'm not knowledgable in the medical field so can't offer much help. Best of luck to you though and I think you made a wise decision.

I have seriously considered that multiple times, but I recently got engaged and moved in with the girl. It would be an enormous strain and setback for me (it seems).

It was not a split second decision. Everyone thought I was going into it, and they supported me. Telling everyone I just couldn't live like that was very hard for me...

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 12:19 AM
link   
reply to post by CeeRZ

Ahh. I just thought I recognized the avatar. Anyways...

Interesting list of schools. I was NUHS. They preached a scientific approach to chiropractic, but didn't have anything to back it up with. I soo wanted to try at least a full trimester. When I start something, I damn well want to finish, and always have. The problem was 15-16k every 3 months of school, with no real insight caused me to run.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 12:24 AM
link   
reply to post by adraves

I can definitely understand that. I wouldn't continue with schooling I didn't believe in.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 01:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by CeeRZ
reply to post by adraves

I can definitely understand that. I wouldn't continue with schooling I didn't believe in.

I feel like I may have been able to believe in it if I gave it more time though. I could have changed to fit the practice, but the school didn't do enough for me to make me want to stay. They didn't help me with any of my doubts.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 01:18 AM
link   
I forgot to mention this, but it is important. Everyone I met and interacted with at the school wanted to be something else. They did not want to be chiropractors. One girl even said she cried when she was accepted to chiro school because she didn't want to do it, but felt like she needed to move forward.

I felt the same way...then again I left.

top topics

join