It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should we vote on ATS banishment?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2003 @ 01:50 PM
link   
This is for KKing123's benifit. I thought a banishment poll might be good. Providing that all the reasons for banishment are listed.

Or maybe you need to attain a certain amount of stars to vote on banishment. So members couldn't just create a bunch of new accounts and cheat.

I don't know, I hope this doesn't upset anyone. What do you think?

posted on Apr, 3 2003 @ 01:52 PM
link   
By I don't care, I meant-"I don't care, it's fine the way it is."

posted on Apr, 3 2003 @ 01:58 PM
link   
If enough members say it's fine the way it is then i will stop complaining about it and accept it, but i think that if enough members wish a change then a change might not be a bad thing

posted on Apr, 3 2003 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Of course we should! What's wrong with democracy? That's my view, as it seems that the mods here are working on a feudalism-ish type of government: all the important people talk amongst themselves about whomever and whatever they want, and if they decide something should be done, that's final. That way sucks, IMHO.

If ya want to keep members(and keep 'em happy, might I add) ya gotta let them have some say. If you're just belting out orders left and right, who will want to stay? No one who's in their right mind, at least. That would be one thing they could do.

But of course they won't. I get the feeling some of them like the "high, mighty, and invulnerable" buzz they get from being mods.

BTW, what happened KKing? What're they doin' to ya?

Signing off,
HLW

posted on Apr, 3 2003 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by High_Lord_Warrior
What's wrong with democracy?

Nothing wrong with democracy.

But you forget ATS is not a " democracia ". ATS is a website, found by a webmaster who gave the mods or the admins rank to some ATS users. Nobody have voted for anybody. ATS, as like all the other website is " just " a website, not a nation or a country with a gov.

posted on Apr, 3 2003 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Its the point, UP. The mods claim they want to help the board, yet they stick to the same old tired tactics they've used for a while. Why not give this a shot and see where it goes?

Signing off,
HLW

posted on Apr, 3 2003 @ 02:42 PM
link   
I think that if the mods are considering banning someone, then they should notify us in a special thread, and if we have any problems with their decisions, we can voice our opinions. However, the mods are usually justified in their decisions, and so a vote seems unneccessary. They should, however, take our views into account

posted on Apr, 3 2003 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Let the mods vote on the banishment of someone. I mean if it is someone who is hated by many members than he/she will be voted to be banned. The person should be asked by an admin.mod to repent for his/her crime. It should stay the way it is.

posted on Apr, 3 2003 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Such boards as this are a privelege, granted by those spending their time and resources to provide it. If they want someone out, so be it...it is not a right. Besides, there are plenty of ways to come back after being banned (as many have shown). Seriously, I've seen more bans on other boards than this.... From what I've seen, they seldom ban without warning, and then usually when there is a concensus amongst the mods...

posted on Apr, 3 2003 @ 03:38 PM
link   
There appears to be a boundary issue here. It�s understandable that fellow members would become upset over other members banning and react accordingly, especially if there had been some type of affinity between those members. The ATS moderators have a specified role to fulfil and members have their views, opinions and expectations. There must be a border of separation between these two factions, for any group, organisation or forum to survive � otherwise, anarchy results.

Members should not be expecting / hoping to control the process of banning because that is not their designated role (although they have subjective feelings and opinions). Personal opinions, feelings and opinions would hopefully be accepted, unless they violate website rules for participation

I would suggest that those who are upset may wish to look within themselves and seek to discover why it upsets them so much. Do they feel this way in general and are they possibly transferring those deeper issues into this banned member argument?

More food for thought,
Deep

posted on Apr, 3 2003 @ 04:36 PM
link   
As the founder of this website and the person with absolute authority over this website, I hope that you will trust in what I have to say:

This message board has administrators and moderators for a purpose, to maintain control of the smooth running of the software itself, and to keep a level of control over the members using it.

I know the term "control over the members" sounds very dictatorial, but it makes sense. Over the past year this message board has experienced a tremendous increase of hacking attempts and spamming of the board itself by people who have no purpose here but to cause chaos.

Without anyone controlling the board, this would lead to the closure of the board itself, not to mention everyone who can't stand the moderators begging for such people to help keep the attackers under control.

This topic has been positioned primarily against moderators who remove posts and ban other members. If you wish to read the Terms and Conditions which everyone agrees to when becoming a registered user, these are the terms for deleting threads and removing people who break these terms.

Those people who are banned are contacted before so, with reason as to why they are risking their membership here. We are able to recognise people who re-register with different names and e-mail addresses, so when they start up their previous actions under a different name we can take immediate action.

The administrators and moderators on this board are generally some of the very first people who ever posted here, and with whom I have gained great trust. In the past people have gone from moderator status to administrator status, but also from moderator status back to member status. Even the moderators aren't "above the law."

In the end though, if you aren't happy posting and reading topics here, everyone does have the option to leave.

posted on Apr, 3 2003 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Very well said Simon. But of course people are going to compalin about this and that. Some will leave and come back. Let's just hope this anti-mod thing ends soon.

posted on Apr, 3 2003 @ 05:02 PM
link   
at the end of the day, simon is the boss, if you dont like his rules, then clear off ...

posted on Apr, 3 2003 @ 07:16 PM
link   
we don;t own the board
it's like saying if you wanna kick someone off your property the town has to vote on it

posted on Apr, 3 2003 @ 08:01 PM
link   
since the board has spoken i shall quiet down on this subject and withdraw my complaints

simon, despite all the things i have said i'd like to say that this is an all around good board and i'm happy to be a small part of it, i appreciate your effort, good job overall

new topics

top topics

join