It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mix-Up Puts Anti-Psychotics In Nurofen Packs

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 04:32 PM
link   

news.sky.com

Anti-psychotic drugs have mistakenly been put into thousands of packets of the painkiller Nurofen Plus.
The Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) has issued a safety warning following reports that some boxes may contain Seroquel XL 50mg.
The mix-up is believed to have happened at a wholesaler's and so far three cases have been identified in the south London area.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 04:32 PM
link   
This is crazy.. The pills are apparantly a different colour to nurofern but I would imagine there could be quite the chance for a mixup amongst the elderly.
Seroquel XL:
For the treatment of schizophrenia

For the treatment of manic episodes associated with bipolar disorder

For the treatment of depressive episodes associated with bipolar disorder

For preventing recurrence in bipolar disorder

For add-on treatment of major depressive episodes in MDD:
Elderly:
As with other antipsychotics and antidepressants, Seroquel XL should be used with caution in the elderly, especially during the initial dosing period. The rate of dose titration of Seroquel XL may need to be slower, and the daily therapeutic dose lower, than that used in younger patients.

The batch numbers affected by the mix-up have been released to the public:
Batch Number Expiry Date Product Licence No
13JJ 03/2014 00327 / 0082
57JJ 05/2014 00063 / 0376
49JJ 05/2014 00063 / 0376
Fatal outcome has been reported in clinical trials following an acute overdose at 13.6 grams, and in post-marketing on doses as low as 6 grams of Seroquel alone.

I'm going to have alook and try to find out what else is manufactured there.
I suspect a packaging error maybe , but still potential to do harm.
''The Irish Medicines Board (IMB) says it is not aware of any such incidences in this country.

But say they will continue to monitor the situation.''
I was worried they may have shipped some here.
newstalk.ie

medicines.org.uk

news.sky.com
edit on 25-8-2011 by Jeluzifus because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Jeluzifus

Apparently sabotage hasn't been ruled out at this stage. Indeed, it's one heck of a mix up if that's what it is: Daily Mail

...'serious investigations' are under way to establish how the mix-up occurred, especially as Seroquel XL is manufactured by another drug firm, AstraZeneca.

The statement said: 'After careful review of the manufacturing system, manufacturing errors by the makers of Nurofen Plus or Seroquel XL are not thought to be part of the cause at this stage.

Scary stuff.

edit on 25/8/11 by lizziejayne because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 04:46 PM
link   
I have to admit, that despite my open mindedness to potential conspiracies, I had never thought about pharmaceuticals winding up in my OTC pain reliever.

Not that this was a conspiracy - but we don't need ridiculous mistakes to give TPTB any more ideas.

Scary stuff - for sure.
edit on 8/25/2011 by Open2Truth because: clarity malfunction

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by lizziejayne

Wow I was hoping that wasnt the case and put it out of my mind quickly. Seemed a bit silly.
Thanks for that, don;t normally read that particular news outlet.

Very scary indeed.

+3 more 
posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 05:04 PM
link   
In Other News...

Several Members of Parliament who are known to routinely take Nurofen Plus for chronic rump pain have suddenly started speaking sensibly and proposing sound, responsible public policy.

In response to this alarming outbreak of political lucidity, the Prime Minister has declared a state of emergency.

Witnesses are advised to report any cases of MPs behaving normally to authorities without delay.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Thank you for informing the public. This is why I opt for natural remedies to my health concerns . I would rather take five vitamin supplements a day than take one single RX for anything.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Seroquel known side effects

Unless your taking large amounts of Nurofen regularly I don't think anyone need panic... The worst side affects while unpleasant arent life threatening.

The most likely side effects of Seroquel are

All medicines may cause side effects,

but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome when using Seroquel XR Sustained-Release Tablets: Constipation; dizziness; drowsiness; dry mouth; increased appetite; joint pain; light-headedness; stomach upset; stuffy nose; tiredness; weight gain.

edit on 25/8/11 by Versa because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 05:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Versa

I'm not panicking or anything,
In most cases im sure it would either be spotted or would have little effect.

But think of some circumstances which might happen , you know people talking a bunch of them after a heavy night out, elderly on medication already, pregnancy, maybe they dont kick in for a few hours and someone takes a bunch thinking they're weak, plus the fact sabotage hasn't been ruled out, so who knows what else could be afoot?

You cant' deny it is potentially dangeorus and needs to be looked at. Mass panic? No.
But it can't hurt to highlight it.

Also this site seems a little more serious about potential harm it may cause,
www.medicines.org.uk...
This medicine is monitored intensively by the CHM and MHRA
So how could this have happened if its so closely monitored?
Severe questions have got to be asked dont you think?

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jeluzifus
Mass panic? No.
But it can't hurt to highlight it.

agree with that

I was just posting some information for thems that are too lazy to look for themselves

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 09:36 PM
link   

reply to post by Versa

I'm not panicking or anything,
In most cases im sure it would either be spotted or would have little effect.

Seroquel knocks a person out quite effectively. Imagine a fork lift driver popping some for pain relief.

Also when the person taking it wakes up they feel like poop, and Seroquel has recreational use as SuzeQ. It is pretty serious I think.
edit on 25-8-2011 by Pinke because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 05:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Pinke

So drugs from AstroZeneca were found in Nurofen Plus Boxes.
Here are some other drugs produced by this company.

Is it fair to say , if it was sabotage that the sabateur may have had access to these as well?

AstroZeneca -
Produces these medicines in the UK.

GastroIntestinal

Respitory Inflammation
Neuroscience

Oncology

Infection

Cardiovascular
edit on 26-8-2011 by Jeluzifus because: (formatting)

edit on 26-8-2011 by Jeluzifus because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 05:24 AM
link   

Hate to beat a dead thread..
A small update on this ,
A further two rogue packets were found yesterday, one containing Seroquel and the other a Pfizer product, the anti-epileptic drug Neurontin.''
Reckitt Benckiser said Neurontin had been discovered in one pack of Nurofen Plus at a pharmacy in Northern Ireland.
"Sabotage is suspected and we are working with the police on a formal investigation to find the person or persons responsible."

This just got very serious imo..Something is very wrong.
Corporate sabotage or a malevelent individual trying to wreak havoc?

Nurofen Press Release
Irish Times

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Wow. Did anyone take them and what happened to them? That is so freaking scary!

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 09:29 AM
link   

They are looking for someone who aparantly deliberately did this where they were packaged. I was perscribed these a while ago and they are plain white pills with N+ on them so its hard to make the mistake.

Oddly both times that I have been given codeine tablets after an operation I haven't been told by my doctor to not take them everyday. I was given a months supply both times and found out that after 3 days you get addicted and I was told to take them everyday for a month! If a family member hadn't told me then I would have suffered from opiate addiction after this.

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 02:14 PM
link   

I once hallucinated terribly due to Seroquel......Auditory and fast visions. I made me literally go crazy and I was already so ill (sleep disorder).

I hope no people will get ill due to this very stupid mistake.

Edit: Now I read it is prob sabotage....nice going.
edit on 28-8-2011 by QueenofWeird because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 06:46 PM
link   

news.sky.com

Anti-psychotic drugs have mistakenly been put into thousands of packets of the painkiller Nurofen Plus.
The Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) has issued a safety warning following reports that some boxes may contain Seroquel XL 50mg.
The mix-up is believed to have happened at a wholesaler's and so far three cases have been identified in the south London area.

Weird thought.....what if the London Riots may have been manufactured after all?
I wonder how long the products had been tampered with.

Ro

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by clintdelicious

They are looking for someone who aparantly deliberately did this where they were packaged. I was perscribed these a while ago and they are plain white pills with N+ on them so its hard to make the mistake.

Oddly both times that I have been given codeine tablets after an operation I haven't been told by my doctor to not take them everyday. I was given a months supply both times and found out that after 3 days you get addicted and I was told to take them everyday for a month! If a family member hadn't told me then I would have suffered from opiate addiction after this.

I had my gall bladder out and despite saying no pain relief ( the gall bladder being gone was relief enough) I was given Oxycontin! I said HELL NO and refused and they became extremely hostile and tried to inject my IV with it!
I hadnt even uttered a peep, had zero pain and had been a very polite patient and had eaten, had no drainage issues etc..they justwanted me to have it. I kept refusing they kept forcing it onto me and eventualy I had to agree to take their script for it to shut them up - it was for a months supply!
It was a gross violation and very revealing. Had I taken it I know I'd have been addicted. They seem to have a real problem with anyone who didnt want their 'help'.

Ro

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Versa
Seroquel known side effects

Unless your taking large amounts of Nurofen regularly I don't think anyone need panic... The worst side affects while unpleasant arent life threatening.

The most likely side effects of Seroquel are

All medicines may cause side effects,

but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome when using Seroquel XR Sustained-Release Tablets: Constipation; dizziness; drowsiness; dry mouth; increased appetite; joint pain; light-headedness; stomach upset; stuffy nose; tiredness; weight gain.

edit on 25/8/11 by Versa because: (no reason given)

You forgot: increase in auditory and visual hallucinations, Loss of coordination. , increased anxiousness, Trembling, shaking, rigid arms, muscles constantly moving in calves, weakness in muscles, difficulty walking, body jerks, moderate to severe intrusive thoughts, increases in suicidality/fatalism, drowsiness, cognitive fog, memory problems, depression, anger - thoughts of violence, confused thinking, itchyness, insomnia, lack of focus, hysteria, increase in acting out behaviours, unfounded fear etc etc..
What they put on the box ISNT the sum total of affect and each affect is different or each person.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 03:02 AM
link   
I know it's besides the point but one time accidently taking antipsychotics aint gonna kill ya. I've been taking them for 15 years.

My buddy took my medication on accident. He thought it was for headaches. He got really hungy and just fell asleep.

My brother inlaw took my medication also. He stole some and thought he was gonna get high.

Neither of them liked it very much it has a mind numbing effect.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join