It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stanford University experiment - free online Artificial Intelligence course! 130313 have signed up s

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Source:
www.ai-class.com...

A bold experiment in distributed education, "Introduction to Artificial Intelligence" will be offered free and online to students worldwide during the fall of 2011. The course will include feedback on progress and a statement of accomplishment. Taught by Sebastian Thrun and Peter Norvig, the curriculum draws from that used in Stanford's introductory Artificial Intelligence course. The instructors will offer similar materials, assignments, and exams.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Romanian

KOOL Beans!!!

signing up

if i can..

****PS** i did,, I-AM #130338.
edit on 8/25/11 by darrman because: spellenglish

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 01:14 PM
link   
lol,

I'd sign up if I didn't already have 4 classes. Bogged down as it is.
Won't see me until Dec.
edit on 25-8-2011 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 01:50 PM
link   
I signed up for the AI course, and the other two free courses that are offered (databases, and machine learning). Now just got to wait till October 10th.

Thanks for sharing this! Time to find the my ol' college books, and get back in the groove

edit on 25-8-2011 by dyllels because: maybe I need a free grammar course as well

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 03:59 PM
link   
I also did the AI one, quite a good initiative to give this all for free!

line 2

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 03:28 PM
link   

How are they going to give feedback to 140,000 students in one semester? I think Mexico City's Pontifica University (the biggest in the world, or one of the biggest) has a population that big and that's spread out through all the different departments. How could one class accommodate that many students? How many grad students do they have working that course? (Just to be clear, I'm fully aware it's an online class, I'm not speaking about class-size in an actual classroom, I'm talking about the logistics of having that student to teacher ratio).

...or is it that, being a class on AI, they are also going to have AI teachers?

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Awesome, thanks for the link. SnF

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Anyone else getting a weird feeling you're about to be experimented on or something? Still, very awesome and I'll head over and check it out some more.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Im sorry but I doubt everyone that signed up for this will take it seriously.

They will figure out that the concepts are way to challenging and give up after a while.

Remember this is just Introductions to AI.

Good luck.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Awesome. Im going to take this course and find out how plausible those claims of mind control are in light of what I am about to learn. I encourage anyone else brave enough to speak up about the issue of potential (hmm or actual?) nefarious uses of this technology to take this course and speak about this too. I don't mean to derail this thread or take it off topic, I would like to just point out essentially we are bio-electrical machines anyway &.. well what I am getting it as kind of obvious looool.. maybe not so much, looool i definitely spend too much time online.. looool...... aaaah robotix XD

time to reboot
then download new data
...after de-fragmenting my hard drive ha ha ha

edit on 2/9/2011 by EmeraldGreen because: hello world

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 09:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Elsek

what if by introduction they mean your gonna get taught by an ai and thats tpart of the expirment to see who picks up there being taught by a robot

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 05:45 AM
link   

Thanks, if you know of any more free online courses please post them. This course subject will be increasingly relevant.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 10:56 AM
link   
A lot of universities started to publish the courses on the web in a video format. You can download them and watch them for free.

ocw.mit.edu...
openlearn.open.ac.uk...
oli.web.cmu.edu...
ocw.tufts.edu...
itunes.stanford.edu...
webcast.berkeley.edu...
ocw.usu.edu...
www.kutztownsbdc.org...
ocw.usq.edu.au...
ocw.uci.edu...

The main problem I would say , is the lack of recognition for the gained skills. Ideally you would have a global system of evaluation, bit similar with the system promoted by IELTS for example (used for the English language skills) . With this system, people are learning the best way they see fit - self teaching or paying classes. When you feel prepared enough, you can go to an examination centre and take the exam, paying for the exam only. It was about 160 $ (100 £) to take an IELTS academic exam, about 2 years ago. Once you passed, you get a certificate. This could be a very good alternative for adult education, however no BIG money can be made on a system where no tuition fees are milked from the students

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Anyone who takes the advanced course and aces it without cheating
will be recruited to help build-up SkyNet more better and efficiently!!!

Well....possible anyways

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Thanks I appreciate it. Yes, lack of formal recognition is the "price", I guess.

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 01:19 AM
link   
This is an interesting topic indeed, more so when technology based learning is coming in rage now. I have heard of many organizations who are rapidly growing in this sector an their business model is based on this kind of concept like the one I can remember right now is Vriti Infocom, their services are not for free but affordable!!

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Very interesting, I will definitely be signing up.

top topics

join