It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The truth about racism

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 11:08 PM
link   
I hear this all the time. "It's 20**, racism is a thing of the past". As a 26 year old I myself am also guilty of using this line. I think it's the mentality of the younger generation to say this because although we do see isolated incidents of racism in our lifetime, we weren't around during the most racist generations. I want you people to really think about this though. Slavery was abolished in 1865. That wasn't even 150 years ago. Now I know you're thinking that's longer than most people live so it should be ancient history to everyone. Then you must consider that although blacks were granted the right to vote in 1870 it wasn't enforced properly and they weren't REALLY allowed to vote until 1964 when the civil rights act passed. Now I'm sure all the really old timers on this website remember this clearly. Well... the ones who know how to use a computer.(joke).

With this being the case I can see why the racism is still rampant. I certainly don't agree with racism at all and I think that this is only a view held by the ignorant but nonetheless I can see where you people are coming from. In relation to the age of America,(1783, when the British gave up), racism is still fresh.

Now to all the black people who still "feel the pain" of slavery. The first hard evidence of slavery in North America was in 1619 with the British colonies. Now I understand that there were slaves for almost 300 years in America with the majority being black. This is what you have to understand though. You are not the only people who were slaves. There have been slaves of almost every race. North African tribes not only enslaved and sold slaves to the white man to come to America, they also had slaves they captured from other tribes for themselves. They also captured white slaves, most of them being European, and used them for labor in Africa. Not to mention the Jewish slaves in Egypt. Slavery has been around since the ancient times.

Before this turns into a history lesson on slavery I want to point out that the only reason for the previous paragraphs is because this is where racism stems from. I think it's high time people stop looking at this troubled and undoubtedly wrong past of the United States. What I want people to realize is now we are all in the same boat. The poor black man who blames "the oppression from years ago" is in the same boat as the poor white man who can't find a job because "the foreigners are taking them all".

I believe it is in the best interest for the elite to keep this mindset going. If the black guy is mad at "the man" for his crummy life then he doesn't pay attention to what's really going on. If the white man is mad at "affirmative blacktion" for his crummy life then he doesn't pay attention to what's really going on. This is why the media feeds us these stories in America of racial injustices.

The Black Panthers, a racist hate group, blocking the polls when Obama was running for president. Not only was this captured on tape but the members of the party openly admitted it. They scared white people away from the voting booths to do their part at ensuring a black president. They screamed racial slurs at white people and openly carried weapons. What did the justice department do? They dropped the case on all suspects except for one. His punishment? He can't carry a weapon 200 feet within a voting poll(which is already a law). This outraged white people across the nation. This is why racism will not die.

Source : online.wsj.com...

In Jackson Mississippi a group of white teenagers went to a "black" neighborhood specifically looking to harass any random black person. Not only did they severely beat this random black guy up, after it was all said and done and the man was staggering to hit feet one of the teens decided to run over this man killing him. Not only did some of the teens get off with a slap on the wrist but after SPECIFICALLY looking for a black man to beat up and screaming racial slurs while doing so some still got off with no charge of a hate crime. This outraged black people across the nation. This is why racism will not die.

Source : www.theblaze.com...

Everyone has heard of the riots at the Wisconsin fair. Groups of black teenagers specifically targeted white people to harass, severely beating more than one of them. Witnesses and video clearly indicate that this was a racial issue due to the racial slurs that were thrown about during the attacks. While some were arrested and charged with assault there were no hate crimes filed. Complete injustice for these poor white people who went to the fair looking for a good time. This is why racism will not die.

Source : www.liveleak.com...

A helpless hispanic male laying on the ground getting kicked in the head as the white cop spews his racial slurs will not be charged with a hate crime. Yes the man was a robbery suspect but that gives no right to beat a subdued man and yell racist comments at him.

Source : www.youtube.com...

I know there is going to be racism in every country and every corner around the world. I think it is so rampant in the U.S. though because of the elite controlling the media and pitting one against another purposefully. If you go to Canada and watch their news you will see what I mean. They don't have violence and hate/fear mongering on their programs for the most part. Canada is just as diverse there as it is here yet it seems to me that racism is hardly an issue. I'm not saying they're clean of ALL racists because I know there are ignorant people every where. I just think if we could ever get a news station here that covers like they do it would be a huge step in reducing race related issues.

Side note : I didn't want to bring the middle east into this arguement on purpose. I wanted to focus on this continent. I think it's time for everyone... black, white, brown, yellow and every other color under the sun to realize we are all in the same boat. Let's try to better our lives by holding ourselves accountable, not blaming a certain race or gender. I honestly believe that racism will never die in a million years. Even if we all have kids with a different race until we creatye of a race of all light skinned people... one person who tans a little darker or the one who can't tan and is a little lighter than the masses of people will get picked on. I didn't write this thread in hopes of eliminating racism forever. I'm just hoping we all can start somewhere and before we decide to hate someone for the color of their skin we can think about what actually matters in this life. That's living it to the fullest. Doing what makes YOU happy. Not trying to bring others down. If I can shine some light on just one person maybe it was worth writing this lenghthy thread.

Best regards to all,
Athin

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 11:42 PM
link   
Unfortunately you are correct, racism will never die. The only time it might is when we all have interbred enough to where we all look just about the same.

Then it will just be hating people by countries, because that's really all racism is a magnification of. Which is why there's loads of it in the US, there are large populations of multiple races.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 12:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Athin

Well African Americans are not in the same boat are they? Your post just reeks with ignorance and is a very typical response born of hate.

No offense meant of course.

Just because a Civil Rights bill was passed in 1964 in no way means that peoples minds changed over night. A majority of America didn't even want this legislation which is why it took many sit-ins and freedom riders driving through certain States where they were not welcomed or Kennedy having to call out the National Guard to even get a law passed.

The Blacks had been supressed in America up till this point and even afterwards shops didn't all open their doors for them, jobs did not fall out of the sky, houses were not sold or rented to them on an equal basis as for Whites. A few generations does not wipe out 150 years of servitude and for you to even claim that we are all equal today is missing a big part of the picture.

The Native Americans also still struggle with this and may not ever recover. I'm a white guy myself and I will openly admit that racism is still huge and is still an issue and I hear the little comments all the time from people when us white guys are alone.

There have been strides made but it will be many more generations before we are all in the same boat.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 12:18 AM
link   
Dude, some Blacks didn't want integration. Stores that served "whites only" required a black-run counterpart, and once integration was enforced, the best man wins.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 12:27 AM
link   
reply to post by kro32

Ugh....

People cannot talk about this topic without the instant disclaimer "You're ignorant and thats racist hate speech!" unless you pucker your lips (if your white) and bend over.

The OP is 100% on the money.

As long as people are there to perpetuate the notion that (insert minority) are owed, less important than, burdened by default, never going to achieve anything etc, then there will be people ready to set an example so you can insinuate just how right you were all along.

Self fulfilling ignorance.

edit on 24/8/2011 by Ha`la`tha because: angle brackets break? strange

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 12:30 AM
link   
Blacks are way more racist than whites and refuse to fit into society. They don't go to school, drop out and have very high welfare costs to society. They view themselves as victims after 50 years of affirmative action, set asides, preferences and a scholarship to the best university if they want one. They play the race card at the drop of a hat, to the point its worn out and everyone ignores it. They demand special groups like the black lawyer, black student Union, black Ms America, on and on, but come unglued if whites even think about something like that. No, racism is alive and well in the Black community and getting worse, just look to the Flash mobs and the violence breaking out against whites. Blacks are in the process of setting themselves back through their actions.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 12:36 AM
link   
reply to post by fusionman

Well I can see this will be pointless to try and debate so I will leave you all to your fun.

Your right everyone is equal and discrimination all went away. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 01:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by kro32

Well I can see this will be pointless to try and debate so I will leave you all to your fun.

Your right everyone is equal and discrimination all went away. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

You don't like what people say, so obviously they are wrong and your right and will go away because you can't argue with someone so wrong. This is a very closed mind, Unbelievable!

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 03:24 AM
link   
The only way to over come racism is to hate everyone equally. Questions. can a white man receive a funds from or even join the NCAAP? A white born in South Africa, Immigrates to America to live, are they considered African American.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 03:28 AM
link   

"Can't we all just get along?" - Rodney King

edit on (24/8/11) by SLAPurMAMA because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 06:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by kro32
reply to post by Athin

Well African Americans are not in the same boat are they? Your post just reeks with ignorance and is a very typical response born of hate.

No offense meant of course.

Just because a Civil Rights bill was passed in 1964 in no way means that peoples minds changed over night. A majority of America didn't even want this legislation which is why it took many sit-ins and freedom riders driving through certain States where they were not welcomed or Kennedy having to call out the National Guard to even get a law passed.

The Blacks had been supressed in America up till this point and even afterwards shops didn't all open their doors for them, jobs did not fall out of the sky, houses were not sold or rented to them on an equal basis as for Whites. A few generations does not wipe out 150 years of servitude and for you to even claim that we are all equal today is missing a big part of the picture.

The Native Americans also still struggle with this and may not ever recover. I'm a white guy myself and I will openly admit that racism is still huge and is still an issue and I hear the little comments all the time from people when us white guys are alone.

There have been strides made but it will be many more generations before we are all in the same boat.

What is ignorant about my post?...and how is it exactly born from hate?

If you didn't read the whole thing let me copy paste a line from the second paragraph.

"I certainly don't agree with racism at all and I think that this is only a view held by the ignorant but nonetheless I can see where you people are coming from"

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Athin

For the topic I agree with everything you say but be prepared to have this thread closed by a mod at some stage. Virtually every thread of this nature ends up locked which is just pure cheek as people should be able to say what they want. The majority of us are adults yet still we are told what we can and cannot talk about when it comes to sensitive issues of this nature.

Either everything should be censored or nothing should, no middle ground.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Athin

Racism is just a fact of life, it will never disappear, not in our lifetime. The major problem with multiculturalism is that it has been rammed down the throats of the general public. People hate to be told what they should do, so they inherently resist and do the opposite. If you take a hard look at the liberal agenda in this country you will see the ideologies of Marxist Communism at it's core, part of that doctrine is this multicultural paradise that we will all come to live in one day, but this will never happen, as this has been tried before and proven not to work. Furthermore, there is nothing wrong with wanting to live with your own kind, this is as normal as the sun rising, no one should feel shame for these types of feelings as they are not racist.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by fusionman
Blacks are way more racist than whites and refuse to fit into society. They don't go to school, drop out and have very high welfare costs to society. They view themselves as victims after 50 years of affirmative action, set asides, preferences and a scholarship to the best university if they want one. They play the race card at the drop of a hat, to the point its worn out and everyone ignores it. They demand special groups like the black lawyer, black student Union, black Ms America, on and on, but come unglued if whites even think about something like that. No, racism is alive and well in the Black community and getting worse, just look to the Flash mobs and the violence breaking out against whites. Blacks are in the process of setting themselves back through their actions.
These are all things that the MSM runs away from screaming. Remember the pendulum swings both ways and if these things persist multiculturalism is going to be a harder sale to the American public. Oh, i am sure this thread will get closed ASAP if this kind of talk persists. So much for "free speech"?

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Hawkwind.

I spoke a bit about this in the below link. But it is both simpler and more complicated an issue than black vs. white.
Ism's (not Islam) are the largest threat to humanity

There will always be racism, until we can ALL learn to embrace our differences and understand that our DIFFERENCES not our similarities make for a stronger whole. Racism exists today, stronger than before, because it benefits the existing power structure to keep us fighting with one an other rather than uniting against the real threat, which are those pushing their Tyrannical agenda. Folks from the Middle East now get the to share in the glory of today's racism, along with the white hating black groups, and the black hating white groups...

We are all children of the universe, and all this class warfare, race warfare, religious jihads and crusades serves only the advancement of the self proclaimed elite to go about business as usual.

I promise you all, if we all UNITE, and celebrate our differences, and realize that we all are brothers and sisters who are being used as tools by the corrupt few, the corrupt few will lose power.

Black, White, Purple, Blue, Christian, Muslim, Hindu, Buhddist, Jedi - It matters not to me, we are all children of the same mother - The earth.

Ism's also include patriotism...I love my country, not my government. I believe the only thing worth being patriotic to...is liberty and justice for ALL.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   
While your ending statement is dead on, OP, there's still a problem with the color thing. Nobody is White, Black, Yellow or Red.

These are gross and idiotic stereotypes that lay at the roots of racism, by seeing us as part of races defined by clearly-distinct colors, that are mental illusions, to better divide us and thus supporting further segregation.

I am not "White", I am beige/pinky-colored, and depending on the exposure to sun, I might become darker, as brown as some Mexican. I put a sheet of paper besides the most unexposed parts of my body, and it's still clearly not as white as the paper is. And "White" people are all like that, no matter how they pretend being part of some kind of White race.

"Blacks" aren't black. They have a wide variety of color tones, ranging from the very copper tone that many so-called "Whites" have, to a near-black in places like Madagascar. So are Asians, whose skin tone goes from the same fair complexion than Nordic Europeans, to light brown... never seen what that stupid "Yellow" designation is about. And I haven't seen many red-skinned American Natives as well, most have just light-brown skin, while in some northern areas they are quite pale.
edit on 24/8/11 by Echtelion because: (no reason given)

edit on 24/8/11 by Echtelion because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Really?

The median wealth of white households is 20 times that of black households and 18 times that of Hispanic households, according to a Pew Research Center analysis of newly available government data from 2009.

Released: July 26, 2011

the typical black household had just $5,677 in wealth (assets minus debts) in 2009; the typical Hispanic household had $6,325 in wealth; and the typical white household had $113,149.

But there's no racism in America?

SOURCE

edit on 24-8-2011 by consigliere because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   
They also captured white slaves, most of them being European, and used them for labor in Africa.

I DEMAND reparations from Africa! My great, great, great, great, great grandfather might have been a part of that!

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by consigliere

So because the wealth of my "white" house hold is more than most "black" house holds, I am racist? No, I earned my wealth from my job. It shouldn't be too hard for the "black" house hold members to find jobs with the quotas provided to them.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by LoverBoy
reply to post by consigliere

So because the wealth of my "white" house hold is more than most "black" house holds, I am racist? No, I earned my wealth from my job. It shouldn't be too hard for the "black" house hold members to find jobs with the quotas provided to them.

If you feel that my comment was personal,,than perhaps you are.

Listen bro,,all i'm saying is, racism does exist,, as evidenced by the wealth gap, among other things,such as demographics,education, and opportunities afforded.
The sad part is people like yourself don't see it.America has an underbelly.

So what do YOU see as the reasons for the wealth disparity

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join