It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Moderate Quakes Striking Odd Places in USA...Coincidence Or Not? Let's Find Out.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   
It makes me wonder if something bigger is coming in the area....like the New Madrid!!! I sure hope not....living in TN I would hate to see the effects it would have on us.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Drew99GT

CME just blowing by, they are getting more frequent and playing havoc on the magnetosphere. spaceweather shows we are just coming out of one
edit on 23-8-2011 by mikeybiznaz because: added content

edit on 23-8-2011 by mikeybiznaz because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by westcoast

Thanks so much westcoast for the earthquake-educated info!! I have two questions for you:

1. The CO and VA quakes seem awfully shallow - what does this tell us about their circumstances/comparisons to more typical quakes - could this effect the distance that they could be felt?

and

2. I see lots of responses here about aftershocks - and I'm sure USGS is on overload so they're behind in reporting - however, will it be possible to see in retrospect if they don't report some of the data (for whatever reason)?

Thanks - I really appreciate being able to have questions answered!! ATS Rocks for this kind of thing!!!!

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Hello Westcoast,

I'm just going to repost what I wrote on Arkansas thread for now. I've been thinking about it and there's many angles. I first started wondering about mid-continental quakes after Chiauhau Mexico last week. Yes, Colorado and Virginia are connected. What's in between the two epicenters?

The New Madrid Seismic Zone.

From a previous post, "I really don't know where to begin. There's a bunch of stuff I think is connected. I think this recent episode started with the Colorado swarm. But this really started back during the swarm. The simple answer is the zones are readjusting.

There are a couple of other things I think are related to the Virgina quake. There was an ATS thread about groaning noises in the city Windsor Ont. Apparently they've ruled out the salt mines. So, I have another idea. Also, last week there was a small mid-continental quake that caught my attention in North Mexio. Not long ago Arkansas seismos picked up heavy micor-siemic noise. Most likely tropical waves from the Alantic. Also, it could have been a combintion of that, and the hurricanes off the west coast.

Also, clustering of quakes in the north east.
Isn't it funny how Arkansas has stopped shaking, and adjecent areas start. This is not irrelevant.

I think you all know I'm not really trying to scare monger. But this readjustment will cause other areas to readust as well. LIke people bumping into each other is a crowd.

Hopefully, the next quakes are spread out and smaller."

If anyone wants to do research into related quakes, study New Madrid 1811/1812.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by MamaJ

mamaJ....I hear you.

To be honest, when I started this thread it was more in reaction to the huge number of threads jumping up at the same time, in an attempt to really compare the two and calm people down.

However....there are some very credible people coming up with stuff here and other threads that really has me wondering. I'm telling you too, if you have the capability of watching GEE....do it. I am seeing some strange things. It really seems as if they (CO and VA) are having simultaneous quakes.

The stations are:
TA.T25A for Colorado
US.CBN for Virginia

They are a long ways away. They would definately register distant waves from large quakes....but not smaller ones at the same time.

Thanks to puterman for THIS link to a current station near the quake in Virginia.

As you can see....its a monster.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 03:06 PM
link   

hey WC can you square us up on what GEE stands for so we better might find the site?

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Open2Truth

Hi there! Thanks for contributing.

First: Yes, the depth of the quake has a direct impact on how far and how much it is felt. Also, the type of ground it happens in is huge. For example; if it were to happen under solid granite it would have much less impact than in sand. Liquifaction is big in places like New Zealand and japan for this reason. (where the ground liquifies)

As to the quakes being recorded. Most likely it's because the system is overwhelmed but you will find several here at ATS that feel many quakes are kept off the books on purpose. Yes, there are ways to save the live data (like I did with a screen shot) and then compare later if it was ever released. Others are much better at doing this than I am though!

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Oh great!

A new twist to the story:

Two Nuclear Reactors Taken Off Line After Earthquake In Virginia

CNN is reporting that 9 nuclear power plants have declared an unusual event after the earthquake. Stay tuned as more news comes in.

If this was a foreshock then this could get dicey.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Hi Westcoast, I have been following your threads and also the EQ thread since the beginning of 2010. So I kinda have a feel for the info put out. That does look much bigger than they are reporting. Id like to get your opinion on just how big it really is. Do you think the VA quake could be bumped back up to a 6.0 or alittle more? Hey even if Putermann would add his two cents.

I also wanted to add that I felt this quake in VA. I didn't realized it the time, I was standing outside in the yard and I had a dizzy feeling like a wave motion. It wasn't until I came in and started checking the threads that the VA quake had happened.
edit on 23-8-2011 by crappiekat because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 03:13 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by mikeybiznaz

Sorry! It stands for: Global Earthquake Explorer

HERE is the website where you can download the program for free.

After you open it, you want to select the live seismo and then after the maps load up, zoom in on the states and then select the arrow icon and click on the blue triangles closest to the epiceneters for these two quakes, which will be marked by red circles. when you put the arrow over the triangle, the station info comes up on the bottom right of the screen. After clicking on them, they turn white. Then, near the top of the map you click on 'load maps' and it will take you to the screen where the stations load up.

@ROBIN...thanks Robin! I think that it is a very fair question to raise. you can only ignore someone slapping you in the face for so long.

edit on 23-8-2011 by westcoast because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 03:15 PM
link   
This is a link to download the program GEE

GEE

Well, Westcoast beat me!
edit on 23-8-2011 by herenow because: too slow

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by mikeybiznaz

I can help on this one WC. GEE is a free download for realtime earthquake seismo viewing.

Google GEE the Global Earthquake Explorer When launching the program, open realtime viewer, LET ALL THE TRIANGLES LOAD, they will go from white to blue. Then zoom in to the region you want to watch, and select your triangles. Then select load realtime. Very interesting stuff, you can also use www.geology.ar.gov... for AR located seismos too. I found some of the seismos are sensitive to trucks and traffic, but Wooly Hollow is stable and located near the area we tend to watch for www.abovetopsecret.com... thread.

Hope this helps!

Ooops, sorry if I repeated the info there. No harm no foul West Coast?
edit on 23-8-2011 by SunflowerStar because: apology

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by jtma508
The CO quake --- although not huge by fault-area standards --- was unique becuase it was so large based on history. Biggest in 40yrs. How about the VA quake? How does that one stack-up historically?

Last 5.8/5.9 was 100 yrs ago.

Seems that earthquakes of historic proportions are arriving.....

how does that look for the San Andreas and the New Madrid areas?

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by MamaJ
It makes me wonder if something bigger is coming in the area....like the New Madrid!!! I sure hope not....living in TN I would hate to see the effects it would have on us.

St Louis down through Memphis would not effectively withstand much bigger than a 6.0

I'm with ya ....I'm in Memphis.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by crappiekat

Hi there!

Well, Puterman has already expressed on the quakewatch thread that it looks bigger, and I definately agree.

I supose it could be because it was so shallow and the station was really close to it....but I would say for sure over a six. Maybe a 6.3 or so.

I have stations pulled up from different corners of the states and I am now seeing some action down near louisiana too. Nothing big...but things are unsettled. They now have three quakes listed for Virginia:

MAP 2.2 2011/08/23 19:20:26 37.911 -78.004 0.1 13 km ( 8 mi) S of Louisa, VA
MAP 2.8 2011/08/23 18:46:50 37.931 -77.935 0.1 9 km ( 5 mi) SSW of Mineral, VA
MAP 5.8 2011/08/23 17:51:04 37.936 -77.933 6.0 8 km ( 5 mi) SSW of Mineral, VA

note the depth on these. That's practically at the surface. Strange indeed!

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Thank you so much...I will check GEE out very soon. I am interested in knowing if the New Madrid has had more EQ's as of late than normal..

Although the swarm in Arkansas has slowed down tremendously it is still a concern as I think the Virginia Quake has got to be related to the Colorado one. It cannot be a coincidence to fairly big (over 5) EQs has struck the US within hours... just too much of a coincidence ...ya know?

I am not really worried about an EQ happening here (New Madrid) but I am concerned as I have no B.O.B just yet.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   

St Louis down through Memphis would not effectively withstand much bigger than a 6.0 I'm with ya ....I'm in Memphis.
reply to post by ButterCookie

No....we would definitely be impacted much worse than these two areas today!! My bf loves to go to Tunica and this past weekend I was about sweating on the drive down worried we were going to have one. WHY? I have no idea....just felt really uneasy going toward the "fault line".

I did win 400 off Paula Deans penny slot....that was a LOT OF FUN!

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by MamaJ

St Louis down through Memphis would not effectively withstand much bigger than a 6.0 I'm with ya ....I'm in Memphis.
reply to post by ButterCookie

No....we would definitely be impacted much worse than these two areas today!! My bf loves to go to Tunica and this past weekend I was about sweating on the drive down worried we were going to have one. WHY? I have no idea....just felt really uneasy going toward the "fault line".

I did win 400 off Paula Deans penny slot....that was a LOT OF FUN!

Cool!

Yep, seismologists have said that St.Louis/Memphis would be the epicenter and that we would flood worse than the epic flood in April....

This eastcoast quake was quite interesting!! The United States seem to be getting our fair share....

we gotta stop being so callous to quakes in other parts of the world and learn that we are not invincible!!

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   
As always westcoast good job

I wonder how long before the people that thought the Japan quake was "caused by man as a warning," will think maybe Washington just got their "warning shot across the bow?" HAARP should be raging around here soon enough. Glad we have this thread for the sane!

Off I go to dl GEE...Thanks!

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join