It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reindeer herder finds baby mammoth in Russia

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pimander
In which case you may find this an interesting read.

The Revision of Ancient History - A Perspective

I'll bookmark that for a read later

I think that some credence might be given to the Polar Shift hypothesis (not sure if thats covered in your link)

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Versa

Actually that article may not cover the mammoth anomalies. Sorry.

I think the idea that a comet or similar impact may have caused the Earth's axis of rotation to shift (as opposed to the magnetic pole moving) is worth considering. My favourite book on the topic is linked below. You can preview a lot of the book at the first link.

Under ancient skies: ancient astronomy and terrestrial catastrophism

At Amazon
edit on 22/8/11 by Pimander because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 02:22 PM
link   
the minute cloning of mammoths starts to work and we get a breedable heard im going to open up a food chain and call it mammoth burger and put mcdonalds out of buisness maby hire those gieco cave man ppl to run marketing hell you could do mammoth hunts and if you patented the process you could then corner the irvory market because if you clone them there your animals and you can exploit them how you see fit so im gonna follow this

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by KilrathiLG if you clone them there your animals and you can exploit them how you see fit so im gonna follow this

I don't think you'll be the one doing the cloning ergo they wont be 'your animals to exploit'.

Thank heavens for small mercies.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Here is a possible explanation of the extinction of the mammoth,including other large mammals.

New scientific findings suggest that a large comet may have exploded over North America 12,900 years ago, explaining riddles that scientists have wrestled with for decades, including an abrupt cooling of much of the planet and the extinction of large mammals.

www.physorg.com...

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 03:28 PM
link   
getting a live clone successfully is sure to be a mammoth undertaking

I know that predators are always less in number than prey animals but it would be fascinating to find a frozen saber tooth or cave bear or some such thing

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by iforget
I know that predators are always less in number than prey animals but it would be fascinating to find a frozen saber tooth or cave bear or some such thing

agreed! that would be very very interesting!

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by iforget

I would like to see a Dire Wolf

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by jonco6
I wonder if mammoth makes a good burger?
Maybe we will find out one day

I didn't know mammoths could cook!
Man, you learn something new everyday.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Versa
It still puzzles me how the cold front hit SO fast that Mammoths were frozen on the spot....

Is it possible that it could have been walking on a frozen lake or pond and the ice broke, then it fell in and drowned and eventually froze?

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 09:01 PM
link   
An oldie,but a goodie.
From ATS history files from 2004.
Take a gander.

The recent movie The Day After Tomorrow made me thing of this topic. This involves the mammoth. As you may know numerous mammoths have been recovered which appear to have been flash frozen. Some were recovered with fresh vegetation in their stomachs and mouths. The book "The Coming Global Superstorm" mentions that a number of these animals were frozen off guard. Meaning they weren't startled by anything. They weren't running. They weren't looking up. They were just standing there eating food. In at least one case the meat of the animal was still good. The meat was fresh. It didn't crystalize when frozen. How is this possible? In the movie The Day After Tomorrow they imply that the sinking air in the center of the storm brought down the extremely cold air from the upper atmosphere. I find this an unlikely scenario. The reason is that in order to get to the center of the storm you have to go through the worst part of the storm. It would be unlikely that an animal would be out grazing on flowers in the middle of something like this. Given how animals react in stormy situations I find it unlikely that an animal could have settled down long enough to graze.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by RenegadeScholar
Just beautiful.

If only they found a fully grown one preserved in this quality. Or better yet, a dinosaur!

Surely it wouldn't be too hard to take the DNA from such remains and clone a live version of these extinct animals?

I know very little about cloning or DNA extraction so excuse me if that last remark was a bit silllyyyyyyy

The buffalo was brought back from extinction by using waterbuffalo eggs implanted with buffalo sperm, now they are flourishing once more. Its possible, animals cannot have evloved seperately for more than 1 million years or the offspring hybrids will be sterile like the lion/tiger hybrids called ligers. Lions and tigers evlolved seperately for just over a million years which made their offpsring end up sterile when hybrid. The next closest thing to a mammoth would have been the indian elephants. technically if you found frozen mamoth eggs and sperm you could make mammoth embyos and implant them in modern elephants as a type of surrogate mother.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 10:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by schitzoandro
reply to post by Versa

S&F, nice find. it's kind of sad to know that long ago it got just a tad bit too cold for creatures like this.

It still puzzles me how the cold front hit SO fast that Mammoths were frozen on the spot....

Originally posted by schitzoandro
by the way, also nice avatar and love your quote line!

Thank you

I'm going to guess the reason was a very rapid pole shift making the area they were into the new Arctic...Or because of a large asteroid/comet impact or massive volcanic activity throwing enough particles into the atmosphere to block out the majority of the light from the sun.

I know that some say they were found frozen with food still in their mouths or stomachs but, that could be because they were storing it for for sustenance their long journey to warmer climates .

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 11:16 PM
link   
This is an interesting documentary about an attempt to remove a mammoth from the permafrost. A hugely difficult undertaking in extremely harsh and isolated conditions.

Raising the Mammoth pt. 1

The scene is a frigid, windswept corner of Siberia, where scientists labor to free a creature trapped in the ice 20,000 years ago.

Raising the Mammoth is a documentary about locating a huge, prehistoric, ivory-tusks-poking-out-of-the-permafrost woolly mammoth.

Later comes the really hard part of the expedition - lifting the mammoth by helicopter to a place where researchers will spend years studying it.

-------

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 02:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hydroman

Is it possible that it could have been walking on a frozen lake or pond and the ice broke, then it fell in and drowned and eventually froze?

While that is a good shout I think thats been ruled out due to the absence of fluid in their lungs etc

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 08:14 AM
link   

While that is a good shout I think thats been ruled out due to the absence of fluid in their lungs etc
Interesting if true. That would also mean that they weren't killed by a world wide flood....

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 09:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Hydroman

I could be wrong about that, Im getting mixed answers to that question in searches atm.... Genesis supporting sites are claiming they did while others claim they don't.... I think some might have and others didn't. Death in a violent deep earth wide flood though would of torn the bodies of the mammoths to pieces (certainly the baby mammoths wouldnt be complete) so death by drowning might of been in mud pits or frozen lakes/ponds etc as far as I can tell atm

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Death in a violent deep earth wide flood though would of torn the bodies of the mammoths to pieces
I've never thought about that, but that makes sense.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 05:39 AM
link   
werent they gunna try and clone the last one they found, dont remember hearing if they did or not

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 06:30 AM
link   
reply to post by DaveNorris

I think that is an on going project and one that has of yet yielded no results.

Kinki University’s Faculty of Biology Oriented Science and Technology tried to do exactly this three times previously, starting in 1997. Yet damage to mammoth cells due to extreme cold prevented their success.
source

They are still trying however and maybe new techniques will have better results.....

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join