It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

400,000 Somali children to die (of starvation) without more aid

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockdisjoint

Warren Buffett could feed them all. He should put his money where his mouth is.

That would be a great idea....however he is giving up most of his fortune (85 percent) to Bill Gates' foundation to fight disease and other humanitarian efforts. That would still leave him with a few billion...but that is a lot of money.

edit on 17-8-2011 by David9176 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by David9176

Warren Buffett could feed them all. He should put his money where his mouth is.

That would be a great idea....however he is giving up most of his fortune (85 percent) to Bill Gates' foundation to fight disease and other humanitarian efforts. That would still leave him with a few billion...but that is a lot of money.

People need that money now though.

Giving it up after you're dead doesn't really count.
edit on 17-8-2011 by Rockdisjoint because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Walks away from the keyboard scratching his head while opening his checkbook and looks up known reputable charities working in the region...

Slayer, I applaud your optimism. But I'm afraid there are no reputable charities anymore. They're all grifters scamming those that would give them money. At least, IMHO.

The only way those people are going to get any real help is for the rest of the world to go over there and kick some ass. And that isn't going to happen.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 04:49 PM
link   

People need that money now though. Giving it up after you're dead really doesn't count.

Agreed.

i wonder how it feels...having that much money....just sitting on it...knowing that you could help millions of people all by yourself.....but then not doing anything....or giving it all away.

What's the old saying?

"It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich person to enter the kingdom of God.” (Mark 10:25)"

(What I originally quoted was incorrect, this is an actual quote from the bible)

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 04:59 PM
link   
I am not surprised at all, results of reproduction anarchy in action. It is always the weakest and the innocent that will pay the price. Satrving African children are some kind of a folklore of this world already, people are numb to it.
edit on 17/8/11 by Maslo because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Sending aid is just a band-aid, only way to fix that country problem is for the people to rise up and fight for change or learn to move where you can grow food. They can't keep looking at the western world to send them tons of food and water every year.

link   
i have no sympathy

tried in 1993 to feed the "children" what did we get for it?

nah thats the bed they have made for themselves.

and have people forgotten about the somali pirates?

nope if you cant feed yourself you dont go screwing around and poppin out children you cant feed.

of course someone will think thats heartless but considering getting shot at last time someone with a heart tried to do something.

no they dont deserve a second chance.
edit on 17-8-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

link   
reply to post by Maslo

Remember this?

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Klassified

I'm a firm believer in teaching a man to fish. However, if he's too weak to even do that then it's my responsibility as a human being to step up to the plate if I have extra.

I've earned it.

It's mine to waste.

Makes me feel & sleep better at night.
edit on 17-8-2011 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
i have no sympathy

tried in 1993 to feed the "children" what did we get for it?

edit on 17-8-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

Black Hawk Down?

Were any of these children around in 1993? It wouldn't be their second chance.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aeons
I didn't do anything to Africa, ever. My ancestors didn't do anything to Africa. I am not responsible for the behaviour for every person with white skin that ever existed anywhere on the planet. To think I am is racist.

No to think otherwise is Selfish and none human...

And yes as long as you vote for and live in a nation which holds debt over a continent that cannot and will not be able to pay the interest on the debt let alone the actual debt... then you have done somthing to Africa... have you been aware of the political stance of third world debt of the last three presidents you have voted for??
if so can you enlighten me on it? did you sign any petitions that were done for the G8 summit.

The traditional meeting of G8 finance ministers before the summit took place in London on 10 and 11 June 2005, hosted by then-Chancellor Gordon Brown. On 11 June, agreement was reached to write off the entire US$40 billion debt owed by 18 Highly Indebted Poor Countries to the World Bank, the International Monetary Fund and the African Development Fund. The annual saving in debt payments amounts to just over US$1 billion. War on Want estimates that US$45.7 billion would be required for 62 countries to meet the Millennium Development Goals. The ministers stated that twenty more countries, with an additional US$15 billion in debt, would be eligible for debt relief if they met targets on fighting corruption and continue to fulfill structural adjustment conditionalities that eliminate impediments to investment and calls for countries to privatize industries, liberalize their economies, eliminate subsidies, and reduce budgetary expenditures. The agreement came into force in July 2006 and has been called the "Multilateral Debt Reduction Initiative", MDRI. It can be thought of as an extension of the Heavily Indebted Poor Countries (HIPC) initiative.

see the above piece of information.. essentially we (western world) will cut the debt if they (third world countries) cut corruption and cut budgets etc....

but they wont, because the people at the top there dont care, so we are keeping the continent down... this is to do with our leaders not using our reasources correctly and holding debt over countries than can never clear it!

If we keep a large part of the continent down it allows there to be a knock on effect as war and famine and corrupt politics isnt limited by country lines in Africa.

bare your neighbours burden!!

we as a people as spending money for waring and building infastructure for greed! we should be helping less countries and bring them up to a higher level of humanity than being ruled by war lords!

I am not religous... i just want to see us spend money and war in countries that need it.. if we're going to do it we should do it for the right reasons.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 05:23 PM
link   
I will take the evolution stance,
survivor of the fittest, or
in most of our cases in America
survivor of having the smart people
to save our ass..

WE HAVE GIVEN THEM BILLIONS!!

THEY WILL NOT LET US GIVE IT DIRECT!

The militias take it and horde it for their own..

THEY ARE GOING TO DIE!!

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 05:57 PM
link   
The problems in this area are ridiculous. You ask why aren't these people doing something?

In many parts of Africa, the people who DO something are targeted. The goverenments jail them for sucess.

If a collective of women starts doing something, young thugs demand payments from them and if they don't give them the thugs destroy their work and kill their children.

If you start an enterprise that might improve the land, use the saltwater, and you are successful in doing it you will be taken down.

The rich, the governments, the leaders, the thugs, work to destroy any and every good thing done here. They don't WANT good for the people. They don't want to fix the problems.

It takes work and time to make something. It takes almost no time to destroy it.

That's what is wrong.

And until we are willing to go into Africa, and provide protection and succor to those useful people, every good thing they have will be taken away by bad men.

Once upon a time when your nation fought for freedoms for people, the weapons of the rich and the weapons of the poor were not so different. Today, the weapon of a woman with no rights in Somalia, and the weapon of the rich man in Somalia are the difference between a kitchen knife and weapons that can destroy her entire nation in a day.

Uprising to remove the rich who are INTENTIONALLY sabotaging their people, and those international interests who are keeping them in gold toilets, is a hurdle far larger than some civil war fought 200 years ago against oppression that was months of travel away. By today's standards, that oppressor lives part way between Earth and Mars.

Uprising against groups being funded and armed internationally to sabotage and oppress for religious reasons, is a ridiculous expectation to have of women armed with dull kitchen knives.

The religious-thug gets a missile funded by international interests who have no morals, and everyone who wants to help the lady with mangrove farm isn't going to staff a security detail to protect her farm and everyone who wants her to succeed is willing to give her a handful of wheat which isn't going to stop the government or religious thugs from killing her and burning her farm.
edit on 2011/8/17 by Aeons because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
reply to post by Klassified

I'm a firm believer in teaching a man to fish. However, if he's too weak to even do that then it's my responsibility as a human being to step up to the plate if I have extra.

I've earned it.

It's mine to waste.

Makes me feel & sleep better at night.

Well stated Slayer. And don't misunderstand me. I have most certainly put my money and my time where my mouth is on several occasions. And I don't regret doing it. I was just saying those people need some help beyond what we as citizens of this country may be able to do through "charities". We need some of these self professed billionaire philanthropists to step up to the plate and actually stand behind all the fluff they talk for a change, and do the right thing. I know, wishful thinking.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by David9176
Without explanations...make it simple.

Do you think the world should simply ignore this and let 400,000 starve if we all knew we could save them?

Let them starve?

yes or no?

(adding this to OP)

NO

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Klassified
Well stated Slayer. And don't misunderstand me. I have most certainly put my money and my time where my mouth is on several occasions. And I don't regret doing it. I was just saying those people need some help beyond what we as citizens of this country may be able to do through "charities". We need some of these self professed billionaire philanthropists to step up to the plate and actually stand behind all the fluff they talk for a change, and do the right thing. I know, wishful thinking.

True.

I'd like to see China step up to the plate as well though. People who are chomping at the bit for the "New Global Power" are going to be in for one hell of a massive rude awakening. As bad as some feel the US has been [Most are probably under thirty] and have never seen the world the way it was or don't understand how it could be again...

These graphs are a few years old but it puts something in it's proper perspective. US private citizens give way more than the US Government does. These are real dollar amounts. Not the often misquoted % of PI that gets tossed around here at ATS.

As I said earlier I'm waiting for China or the Chinese citizens to step up to the plate and be as generous as the last big dog was "The US and it's Citizens" have been year after year, decade after decade....

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/70389b755759.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/1beef4228657.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 06:40 PM
link   
I for one am proud of my country stepping up to the plate especially when I see this

Some of the disgusting, selfish comments on this thread makes me think that I would rather your dark hearts starve to death than these folks. The last thing this world needs is more heartless bastards.

What goes around comes around.

@Slayer, China, do something humanitarian?? Dont hold your breath mate.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by EvanB
...Some of the disgusting, selfish comments on this thread makes me think that I would rather your dark hearts starve to death than these folks. The last thing this world needs is more heartless bastards.

What goes around comes around...

How does a drought last 60 YEARS?! Oh, I don't know, this one just kinda snuck up on us!

The comments you refer to are DECADES in the making. If all the children dropped dead on the same day Ethiopia would lose it's biggest import, our money!

I was in middle school for, "We Are the World" and they were shooting at us by the time I was in the Army.

It's harsh, callous, logical, and the end of a very expensive road. Lesson learned!

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by TreadUpon

Originally posted by EvanB
...Some of the disgusting, selfish comments on this thread makes me think that I would rather your dark hearts starve to death than these folks. The last thing this world needs is more heartless bastards.

What goes around comes around...

How does a drought last 60 YEARS?! Oh, I don't know, this one just kinda snuck up on us!

The comments you refer to are DECADES in the making. If all the children dropped dead on the same day Ethiopia would lose it's biggest import, our money!

I was in middle school for, "We Are the World" and they were shooting at us by the time I was in the Army.

It's harsh, callous, logical, and the end of a very expensive road. Lesson learned!

Actually

This drought has now spread to North Kenya over the last month.

One poor lad had not eaten for two weeks. He is 6. His dad died two weeks ago of starvation and this lad in his weakened state, and his age, had a four day walk to an aid post in North Kenya where when given a bowl of porridge, that he could barely lift, he could not eat it. The smell made him wretch, and he could not swollow because of starvation.

A six year old.

Decades?

This is new to him!

Be as logical and callous as you like. But I know that soon you will be wanting. Especially in the current economic climate and extreme weather. Then we will be callous and logical and not give a crap about you starving.

And when you look for the help that is not coming you can applaude our logic and lack of humanity.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 07:30 PM
link   
hmmm well considering the last lot of food aid was stolen by people in their own country... what are we supposed to do?

Keep handing it out.... ? Now the UN are investigating it. How do you help a country that is too corrupt?

I am not posting the link...I posted it in the other thread about the Somali Famine just recently

edit on 17-8-2011 by Thurisaz because: spelling

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join