It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

olympics - why dont people care anymore

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2004 @ 08:46 PM
link   
ive been watching a little of the olympics, not as much as i used to in prior olympics. one thing i noticed, and now i know im not imagining it because they have been mentioning it now on some broadcasts, are how empty the venues are. its not even close--- at some of these events its basically an empty stadium with a few spectators strewn here and there, and those id bet quite afew are friends and family of participants, or team members from other events. is it because of terrorism, or do people just not care about the olympics anymore?

posted on Aug, 18 2004 @ 08:50 PM
link   
I don't think it's terrorism, I just can't get up for them this time. Could be that I'm working nights, I don't think so though. I think that once they let the pro's play, ie: baskeball, it took a lot out of the mystique.

posted on Aug, 18 2004 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
I think that once they let the pro's play, ie: baskeball, it took a lot out of the mystique.

You got that right. I was somewhat ashamed to watch those pro basketball players during the opening ceremony, and during the game in which they were defeated by Puerto Rico. They were not playing as a team, and seem to only care about themselves.

Believe it or not, this has an effect on people. They dont want to watch stuff like that. I think that is why there seems so little interest this go-round. Remeber the original Dream Team, and the USA Hockey team that beat Russia? Man, that was awesome!

Edit to add another thought...

[edit on 8/18/2004 by Trojanex]

posted on Aug, 18 2004 @ 08:56 PM
link   
I think its because there is no one to pull against anymore. In the not to distant past during the cold war victories at the Olympics were just as decisive as battefield victories. Anyone remeber the 1980 winter Olympics when the Americans beat the soviets.

A little before that it was the Nazi's remember Jesse Owens upsetting Hitlers showcase of the Aryan Race?

The Olympics would be drawing hug crowds right now if the Terrorists had a team because everyone would have someone to pull against.

posted on Aug, 18 2004 @ 09:05 PM
link   
I don't know why you think no one has an interest in the Olympics anymore. I for one still love watching it (mainly Track & Field events)! However, upon saying that, those USA basketball are a disgrace to the US and themselves, and I truely hope they get beat...which I would not say about any other USA athlete. Those players walked out there like the game was theirs and they were on vacation and I felt really good when Puerto Rico destroyed them

One other thing...does it cost to go see the Olympics? If its an outrageous price, which Im sure it would be that would be a major detractor from people going to see the games live.

[edit on 18-8-2004 by Jazzerman]

posted on Aug, 18 2004 @ 09:08 PM
link   
I think your right...I don't hear people talk about it the way I used to..I used to have to not listen all the time during these periods..LOL. I abhor sports.....just cant get into any of it. Aaaaaaaaanyway, people just dont seem all that interested anymore other than the die hard sport fanatics...

posted on Aug, 18 2004 @ 09:08 PM
link   
tv ratings are down tooo....it really seems there is less interest this time around:
www.usatoday.com...

posted on Aug, 18 2004 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadyV
Aaaaaaaaanyway, people just dont seem all that interested anymore other than the die hard sport fanatics...

Even those are turned off. I'm one and normally this would be filler until the NFL regular season started, I just don't care though. ATS might also have something to do with it.
I spend a helluva lot of time here.

posted on Aug, 18 2004 @ 09:16 PM
link   
I don't do sports. I never understood the olympics and hated summers as a kid when you had the olympics during a presidential election year, GEE, JUST like this year

But, my vote goes for more cynical people, more expensive travel to Greece, terrorism and reality TV.

posted on Aug, 18 2004 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by spangbr
tv ratings are down tooo....it really seems there is less interest this time around:
www.usatoday.com...

TV ratings are down because you get the results during the day but the broadcasts aren't until night. So people already know who is going to win so why watch it if you already know the outcome?

posted on Aug, 18 2004 @ 09:33 PM
link   
If I dont have sports my life would lose a little bit of flare. I have always been an avid sports fan...you know...mind over body (mind over matter). Sporting events are a total rush, and I would love to go and see the Olympics sometime as I still hold the games in high regard!

posted on Aug, 18 2004 @ 09:35 PM
link   
For me the reason I have lost interest is the drug scandals that seem to run through all countries as well as the "heartwarming" back stories.

Too much fluff for my taste...

posted on Aug, 18 2004 @ 09:53 PM
link   
hey, i'm with everybody who thinks those basketball players of ours are a disgrace! they're all pro ballers, nearly straight out of high school, pampered pieces of crap. just a piece of information. while they're at the olympics, all the basketball players are staying on the Queen Mary 2 which is anchored just off the coast. if you don't know, the QM2 is the most expensive and luxurious curise liner there is (it costed $800 million dollars to build). furthermore, they're staying on it (all in suits by the way) for free. why are they being so greatly rewarded for such disgraceful behaviour?

[edit on 18-8-2004 by astroblade]

posted on Aug, 18 2004 @ 09:54 PM
link   
I've never been a real big fan of the olyimpics.

Yeah, the basketball team this time around blows. They don't even have our best of the best, and its oblivious why: For instance Shaq, is a very good player but him and others like Kobe don't want to go over there to play and not get paid a dime. If they went over there and had a injury, they got hurt for no money and it would kill there multi-million dollar carrers.

I'm a football fan myself, thats about the only sport I watch and like.

GO VIKES!

posted on Aug, 18 2004 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Another thing is that all of the hotel prices were marked up - in some quote I saw over 1000%. Who wants to pay 1000 bucks a night for a single bed at a motel 6

posted on Aug, 18 2004 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlackJackal
The Olympics would be drawing hug crowds right now if the Terrorists had a team because everyone would have someone to pull against.

I concur.

That would rock. First time I laughed all day. Mainly from the mental image. Completely covered from head to toe in black sheets running marathons and high diving. Oh God, please let me see that.

posted on Aug, 18 2004 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Maybe ratings would go up if Football and "Professional Women's Modeling" became olympic sports. Until then... I'm not sure if I can make time to watch the Olympics. Between coating my house in duct tape and plastic sheeting, and constantly refreshing Homeland Securities homepage... I have a full schedule.

posted on Aug, 18 2004 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by American Mad Man
Another thing is that all of the hotel prices were marked up - in some quote I saw over 1000%. Who wants to pay 1000 bucks a night for a single bed at a motel 6

Does it come with Anjellina Jolie?

posted on Aug, 18 2004 @ 10:04 PM
link   
Funny,

I've watched it more this time around, than the last few times.
I would like to see more sports and less talking though...
Just like this guy:

Olympics

posted on Aug, 18 2004 @ 10:55 PM
link   
I think it really depends of the event. I watch Table Tennis (Ping Pong) today and the crowd was a ghost town. Or a event like speed walking
Who wants to watch that stuff.

But then events like track and field and swimming get good turn outs.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join