It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Zero Tolerance to be brought to the streets of Britain

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Many of Sunday's papers will lead with the Zero Tolerance headline, but what does this mean for the people of Great Britain?

Can we expect an incease in stop and search, can we expect an increase in police shootings?

Will the Government dare pull the plug on Social Networks or indeed the Internet itself?

Will this be an intolerance of anybody voting other than the Three main Parties?

Once again we witness a knee jerk response to a situation that could have easily been resolved in a matter of minutes. We are going to Hell in a handcart and everybody is just sat back as if they they are voyeurs of some kind of cinematic experience.

ETA:- www.telegraph.co.uk...

news.sky.com...

I hope this helps.
edit on 13/8/11 by Cobaltic1978 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Im not sure what you mean since you posted no reference material, also no back story or link. So I will think on it more if that stuff shows up, but thanks for the post.
edit on 13-8-2011 by eazyriderl_l because: grammer police

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 06:44 PM
link   
If they act like that they will make things worse.. They have zero understanding to the cause of these problems...

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by eazyriderl_l
Im not sure what you mean since you posted no reference material, also no back story or link. So I will think on it more if that stuff shows up, but thanks for the post.
edit on 13-8-2011 by eazyriderl_l because: grammer police

Yeah, basic error on my part. Hope the links help. Peace.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 07:59 PM
link   
I see one of them had the headline, and one had the background info. Thanks for that. I can see a short line between zero tolerance and martial law. I hope i am only paranoid, but the evidence seems there. It just seems to be on a timeline we can't pin down yet.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 08:01 PM
link   
For mainland UK that means one thing..

You get tickled for a week with a very large feather. Doesn't matter how loud you scream, you get a tickling.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by JennaDarling

For mainland UK that means one thing..

You get tickled for a week with a very large feather. Doesn't matter how loud you scream, you get a tickling.

Hear! Hear!

................ and about time too!

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Cobaltic1978

Same happened with the implementation of the Terror Act. Sacrificing liberty in the name of "security".

Again, here it seems, the goverment are willing to attack the symptoms (while attacking everyone's freedom) rather than looking at the causes.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 03:01 PM
link   
I wrote a thread 18 months ago that we would be here now... drawing on the many parallels to the 1830s and similarities to the situation that created the Swing riots.

Those riots in turn created the same kind of shock through society and a similar terrified response from the Government of the day.. the Swing caused at least £200m worth of damage that resulted in around 2000 trials.

I hope Cameron does not follow the same route as Wellington claiming the system they have is perfect as that is only going to rekindle the pent up rage.

All I can say is that I think it will get worse before it gets better and I guess before that can happen whatever has caused this rage needs to evolve into a solid movement for change that perhaps might also bring reform to our system of governance.

Sadly it seems we as a species are doomed to repeat past mistakes and never learn from them.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 03:04 PM
link   
The problem with zero tolerance is, innocent people get caught up easier.

The real problem is a social one, a parenting one not a policing one.

But even with policing of it,... Britain is INCONSISTENT in their policing.

What they do in Northern Ireland is not how they do it in London / Mainland UK and that is also not how they do it with regards to the G8 / G20 meetings either.

Inconsistent policies, half hearted half commited policies.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cobaltic1978
Many of Sunday's papers will lead with the Zero Tolerance headline, but what does this mean for the people of Great Britain?

It means a bunch of sound-bites by politicians to pander to the hand wringing classes but not much substance. Look at the infighting going on right now between the police and politicians. The politico are utterly powerless. They can talk the big talk but they can't fight the big fight.

Can we expect an incease in stop and search, can we expect an increase in police shootings?

Stop and search, perhaps but the police, particularly the Met will be very careful to make stop and search appear fair, across all races. I really hate to defend the Met in any way but since Ian Tomlinson they have been desperately trying to get their house in order. For example, the politicians and ill-informed public wanted rubber bullets and water cannon utilised but the Met stepped forward and said, "NOPE" and explained well thought out reasons why those options were at best poorly thought out and at worst just plain dangerous. I personally think the Met's behaviour during the riots/looting was exemplary.

Will the Government dare pull the plug on Social Networks or indeed the Internet itself?

The Chinese haven't managed to do it. Certain Middle Eastern countries haven't managed to do it. How will the UK government manage it? They would have to physically sever the AC1 and AC2 submarine cables but they don't only serve the UK, they carry on to serve the rest of Europe. Couldn't and wouldn't happen. With regards to Social Networking, how? OK, the government orders all ISPs to block traffic to Farcebook and Twatter. 5 minutes later the blocks have been completely worked around by a minority of users. 10 minutes after that the word is out to the majority of users, "here's the work-around." Blocking social networking on that scale is damn near impossible, yet another sound-bite for the chattering masses.

Will this be an intolerance of anybody voting other than the Three main Parties?

Doesn't that intolerance already exist? I dare say the three main parties no longer exist. We have the Lib-Dems in bed with the Tories and Labour is merely a different tie colour. We may have three parties by name but they are all merely different flavours of right wing.

Once again we witness a knee jerk response to a situation that could have easily been resolved in a matter of minutes. We are going to Hell in a handcart and everybody is just sat back as if they they are voyeurs of some kind of cinematic experience.

Knee jerk is the best description of what the government is trying to do. Over 100,000 people have signed a petition to have benefits removed from looters. What in the name of holy hell is that going to accomplish!? Make the poor and disaffected even poorer and MORE disaffected thereby increasing the likelihood they will commit crime in the future. Kick the looters out of social housing. But it's not just the looters is it, it's their families as well. Take the diabolical Wandsworth example, an 18 year old not even convicted of a crime and the local council have started proceedings to boot him, his mother and his 7 year old sister into the streets.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by PW229

I have heard the rhetoric calling for Benefits to be stopped, but anybody between the ages of 16 and 18 are not entitled to Benefits, unless they are deemed to be in hardship. But like yourself I do question what this is going to achieve. The majority of the looters come from such a deprived background that it is only going to force them into more illegal activities to merely survive.

I hear people blaming this on the parents and to some extent they are right. However, for far too long now society has turned its back on the impoverished and this is the result. This all started with Thatcherism imo, everybody being turned into selfish, money worshipping, materialistic citizens. We are shown images of what we need in order to be perceived as successful, whether it's a car, a home, the latest electronic gadgets etc. What they don't see is that for the majority of people, this has been achieved through credit and that the majority of people have paid for these goods twice over due to interest payments.

Of course, it's far too late to change things now. I would get out of this country and make a life for my family somewhere else, but where do you go? Globalism is pushing a One World Government onto us and wherever you go, it is going to be the same old story.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 05:15 PM
link   
I don't get why these people feel deprived.
Deprived of what?
More Public handouts?
Maybe they should compare their life in England to that of the country which they and/or their parents left.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 05:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Cobaltic1978

A very well thought out response with some succinct points.

I'd like to address something concerning benefits. There were benefits for young people staying in education beyond 16 years old, the Education Maintenance Allowance or "EMA" for short. This allowance enabled our young people to stay in education and give them a step-up to further education. It has been summarily cut. The bursary system that has replaced it is purely for the more privileged amongst us. We have yet again indicated to our youth that they are not worth the investment although they are the ones that will be paying for our foibles. Are we so surprised when they rise up against us? I'm not.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by OhZone
I don't get why these people feel deprived.
Deprived of what?
More Public handouts?
Maybe they should compare their life in England to that of the country which they and/or their parents left.

I'm sure there's a Neo-Nazi or BNP forum where you would feel more welcome? In fact, why don't you go there and spread your hate amongst them?

top topics

join