It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Curious as to which beliefs and/ or religions are followed by ATS members

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 05:42 AM
link   
Blessed be all,
I am starting this thread due to the fact that i am naturally curious as to which beliefs and/ or religions are followed by the members of the community that i am in.

I will start this off by telling which religion i follow: Witchcraft.
For those of you that do not know this religion, it is a religion that has three rules:
- Do as thou please, but harm none
- Whatever you wish upon another, you will receive threefold
- Honor all life

I follow two Goddesses:
- Khali (Goddess of death, knowledge, dreams and innocence)
-Gaïa (Goddess of life, wisdom, hope and Nature) she is better known as the planet Earth

My belief system is :
- Nature is a gift from Gaïa and therefore is Divine
- The God(de)s(ses) are all around us and therefore i may pray to them where i wish and how i wish
- Everything on this planet are children of Gaïa and therefore may not be harmed

Well that's enough about my religion and beliefsystem, what about yours?

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 05:51 AM
link   
I was brought up a Catholic but as I got older and researched the religion I dropped it. I believe in a higher power and try to treat others as I would like to be treated. I have a strange mishmash of karma and Christianity however will never folow a church.

Ps. I only have a problem with other religions trying to tell me how to live, people should be allowed to live their life without it being dictated to them what to eat, what to wear etc. Believe what you like but do not bring it to my door.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 05:51 AM
link   
Follower of Christ.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 05:52 AM
link   
Wow, thanks for sharing that.
I first read witchcraft and rolled my eyes, but when you explained it....it seems like a cool and sane thing to believe in lol.

Im a pretend Catholic (Front for the family), but a real.......atheist?...I dont believe in "God"....but I think there are powers at work in the universe that are untangable to us. Divine.

Sinny.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 05:57 AM
link   
Discordianism - some days

All Hail Eris! All Hail Discordia!

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 06:04 AM
link   
I think your find the majority of ATS members are highly intelligent atheists.

Edit :
I am a atheists myself....
edit on 10-8-2011 by TheMaverick because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 06:08 AM
link   
I don't follow any religion and I don't believe in any sort of God. I think of all the people killed in the name of "God" over the thousands of years and just shake my head. It disturbs me how everybody thinks their god is the true god and everybody else is wrong and damned. It disturbs me how close minded and ignorant religious people can be.

Now my belief system is :
- Just to live my life as a good person the best I can.
- Be kind and respectful to everyone you meet in life. I treat everybody the way I would like to be treated.
- Just to generally be positive and peaceful with no intentions of harm to anyone and to try to help anybody the best I can.
- I think that if you live a positive life as a good person then hopefully it all comes back to you.

The thing is, I have my own belief about religion, but I don't put anyone else down for their own religious beliefs, or try to put anyone down for it or try to tell them they're wrong because their not! That's the thing, we are free to believe in whatever god we want and I have no right what so ever to tell anybody I think they're wrong or stupid in believing. I like to think of myself as a humble man and I don't think I am better than anybody else. Also there is nothing wrong with having faith in something. Three of my closest best friends is a Muslim, a Catholic and a Christian and we all get a long just fine.
edit on 11/17/2010 by TopherWayne because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 06:13 AM
link   
agnostic & spiritual

2nd

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 06:15 AM
link   
Born Jewish but grew up Atheist. I'm what you'll call a Jewish deist. Mean's I'm a Jew who believes in the fundamentals of G-d but is basically an Atheist. Orthodox Judaism is starting to influence my ideas a lot. I'm interested in Haredi Judaism

Haredi or Charedi/Chareidi Judaism is the most conservative form of Orthodox Judaism, often referred to as ultra-Orthodox.

Haredi Jews, like other Orthodox Jews, consider their belief system and religious practices to extend in an unbroken chain back to Moses and the giving of the Torah on Mount Sinai. As a result, they regard non-Orthodox, and to an extent Modern Orthodox, streams of Judaism to be deviations from authentic Judaism. Haredi Judaism comprises a diversity of spiritual and cultural orientations, generally divided into Hasidic and Lithuanian-Yeshiva streams from Eastern Europe, and Oriental Sephardic Haredim. Its historical rejection of Jewish secularism distinguishes it from Western European-derived Modern Orthodox Judaism.

The word Ḥaredi (חֲרֵדִי), which originally was simply the Hebrew translation of Orthodox.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 06:18 AM
link   
reply to post by On the level

I agree, religion should not be forced upon someone
edit on 10/8/2011 by KhaliWitch because: forgot a word

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 06:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Sinny

Thank you for the compliment and believe what you wish to believe and if others do not accept you for who you are, then tough luck for them ( my opinion).

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 06:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by racasan
Discordianism - some days

All Hail Eris! All Hail Discordia!

Ehh.. Would you care to explain that to me please as i do not know of it and would like to know more about it?

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 06:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by TopherWayne
I don't follow any religion and I don't believe in any sort of God. I think of all the people killed in the name of "God" over the thousands of years and just shake my head. It disturbs me how everybody thinks their god is the true god and everybody else is wrong and damned. It disturbs me how close minded and ignorant religious people can be.

Now my belief system is :
- Just to live my life as a good person the best I can.
- Be kind and respectful to everyone you meet in life. I treat everybody the way I would like to be treated.
- Just to generally be positive and peaceful with no intentions of harm to anyone and to try to help anybody the best I can.
- I think that if you live a positive life as a good person then hopefully it all comes back to you.

The thing is, I have my own belief about religion, but I don't put anyone else down for their own religious beliefs, or try to put anyone down for it or try to tell them they're wrong because their not! That's the thing, we are free to believe in whatever god we want and I have no right what so ever to tell anybody I think they're wrong or stupid in believing. I like to think of myself as a humble man and I don't think I am better than anybody else. Also there is nothing wrong with having faith in something. Three of my closest best friends is a Muslim, a Catholic and a Christian and we all get a long just fine.

I agree fully with you that every person has the right to believe whatever they wish to believe, without having somenone elses beliefs forced upon them!
That way all religions/ beliefs can coïcide peacefully!

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 06:32 AM
link   
reply to post by KhaliWitch

no problem
en.wikipedia.org...

the worship of Eris (also known as Discordia), the Greco-Roman goddess of strife. It was founded circa 1958–1959 by Gregory Hill, under the pseudonym Malaclypse the Younger, with the publication of its principal text, the Principia Discordia.

The Original Snub

The Original Snub is the Discordian name for the events preceding the Judgment of Paris, although more focus is put on the actions of Eris. Zeus believes that Eris is a troublemaker, so he does not invite her to Peleus and Thetis's wedding.

This is “The Doctrine of the Original Snub”. Having been snubbed, Eris creates a golden apple with the word kallisti (Ancient Greek: καλλίστῃ, to the prettiest one) inscribed in it. This, the Apple of Discord, is a notable symbol in Discordianism for its inclusion in the Holy Chao. The apple is traditionally described as being made of gold

When the female wedding guests disagree about who the apple is meant for, Zeus decides to leave the decision to Paris of Troy. Aphrodite bribes Paris, leading to the Trojan War, which “is said to be The First War among men.”

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 06:32 AM
link   
I am leaning towards Scientism as a belief set. I know it has a lot of problems with a lot of conflicts of interests and ideas in understanding the complexity of this world. I do prefer to start with the facts before making sense of the unknowns.

As a basic rule, if you cannot be honest about it you should not do it.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 06:37 AM
link   
reply to post by racasan

Thank you for enlightening me. Now i can add that to my list of practiced beliefs and/ or religions

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 06:38 AM
link   
reply to post by kwakakev

This is true about everything in life, not just religion/ belief

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 06:47 AM
link   
Eclectic Pagan/Witchcraft.
I figure as old as I am, and as many religions that I have studied, I'll just go with what feels right.
Which is most of the nature based beliefs.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 07:50 AM
link   
I am a secular pastafarian.

We pastafarians are somewhat similar to discordian'ists, napkin'ists and gnostics concerning cosmic liberal principles, but we do have our own different cosmogony, in which the creator now repents his sin of creating a dysfunctional cosmos.

PS Racasan. All hail Eris AND the great noodle-master, if you please.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 08:16 AM
link   
No religion.

Christ is my redeemer.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join