It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Highest Mantra in Buddhism

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Here is David Lynch, a famous film maker, speaking about transendental meditation.
youtu.be...

Namaste.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 12:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Fevrier

So Buddhism is both very serious condition and a pathological condition.

Buddhism is not the pathological condition I adverted to. Buddhism is not enlightenment. Buddhism is a method of reducing personal discomfort and suffering to a minimum. It works for some people, though (as you might expect) it does nothing for the vast majority of Buddhists.

By the use of words like pathological and hallucination, you of course refer to a dualist condition of things, that is not contradicted just by buddhism.

I believe the empirical evidence for a real world. Whether that makes me a dualist is problematical; I could just as well be a materialist who believes in consciousness as an epiphenomenon, or a solipsist who believes some conditions of self-generated reality are preferable to others and simply chooses to label those conditions truths.

Being a pragmatic man, I can assure you that all my pragmatic endeavours in the field of military action and self defense, from fighting to knife fighting to shooting, have improved dramatically along with my pathological condition of advancing samadhi and realization.

Doubtless your meditative practice has habituated you to belief in many implausible things.

So then, in this dualist universe, taking compassion as a pathological condition which is subsumed to randomness just like all other things, and thefore may dissapear, ask yourself - when you meet someone who does everything that is pragmatically dangerous far better than you do, as in, miles and miles and miles better, do you wish for compassion to be a universal trait or a fragile pathological condition?

First, compassion is not ‘enlightenment’. Compassion means sharing the feeling of others. I do not need to subject myself to self-induced hallucinations in order to make myself compassionate.

Second, my wishes are of no importance in such a matter. The world will be as it is no matter what I wish.

Third, I am not so afraid of other people that I feel the need to make myself more potentially violent than them.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 12:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Fevrier

Also, you can look up both neurological studies and studies of so called "powers", mostly in the area of fire and temperature related abilities, done by qualified scientists and universities, proving that the results of meditation are not pathological, but empirically real even within dualist perception.

Doubtless I can, but since you are the one making extraordinary claims, it is incumbent upon you to provide the extraordinary evidence. Please go ahead. Peer-reviewed studies only, please.

I've never seen supramundane side-effects happening with video games. Have you?

Does the use of childish rhetorical questions help secure your position? How?

No? Then maybe you're just being pathologically ignorant.

Possibly. However, I think it more likely that I am simply reflecting on a lifetime’s familiarity with Buddhism.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 12:55 AM
link   
I'm pagan as they come but I use the Lord's Prayer a lot as a mantra. It works for me. It has great esoteric meaning for me beyond what is on the surface. It proves too that witches can indeed recite the Lord's prayer correctly.

Most of the time though, I don't use one at all. I don't really need to.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Let's bump this.

Perhaps the countless people having paranormal encounters might be better off with it.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join