It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Just Bought A Begginer's Telescope... Now What?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 01:01 AM
link   
reply to post by ziggy1706

Unless he is really simple,
He said that he held it up to his eye/the sky, and saw nothing...
That tells me he got a refracting scope.

I can't fathom anyone doing that with a reflector. lol

Those new to astronomy often think they can hold a telescope to the sky in their hands, as they see in cartoons or pirate films, and actually see something. lol

The only kind of scope people would do this with is a refractor.

Can you imagine someone doing that with a reflector?

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 06:17 AM
link   
This is telescope that I got
live.auctioneer.ca...

I can't find a better link for the Illumibeam

But the instructions are about 2 lines or so
The instructions can barely be called instructions

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 08:48 AM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

Hey Modern,

That's a spotting scope. I used to use one for target shooting, really not something to skygaze with. I bought one of these 5 years ago. Excellent bang for your buck. You can see Jupiter's 4 main moons (look like stars) with this puppy, and get some nice views of some messier's.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c6eb01641b69.jpg[/atsimg]

At one stage I could see Saturn's "ring" (barely), but it's great to start with. Don't let the photo fool you, it's pretty big. I had to leave mine back in SA
I'm sure you can find one locally here, or maybe a second hand one.

Good luck!

edit on 9-8-2011 by TortoiseKweek because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 05:50 PM
link   
reply to post by TortoiseKweek

Hey thanks
I'll check it out

But anyone knows who I can point upwards and be able to seE?

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 06:29 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

You really aren't going to be able to see anything much but the moon with that. That's a spotting scope - used for spotting wildlife at waterholes, etc, or as I said, used for activities like target shooting. I can guarantee you one thing though, if you really have an itch to do some stargazing, and have $250, you can't go wrong with that 4.5EQ for a starter scope.

I spent many a cold winters night with mine, and it was well worth the money! The reviews on the site I posted for you will also give you a better idea. I saw a few pics taken with one a few years ago, see if I can find it for you

Here's a link with the details of a pic taken of the Messier 51 - Whirlpool Galaxy with that scope, and embedded here to make easier! Not bad for a $250 scope, eh??

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/907a5b014917.jpg[/atsimg]
edit on 9-8-2011 by TortoiseKweek because: Link and Image added

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 08:45 PM
link   
If you are looking for a beginner telescope on the cheap I would be looking at a Dobsonian in the 8"-12" range. Perfect for visual observation. I bought a 12" Guan Sheng Dobsonian yesterday and my first view through it last night was simply amazing. You wont be disappointed.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 09:22 PM
link   
Your scope does not have much more power than most binoculars, and the aperture is too small for astronomy. Download the free program, Stellarium, and use that to locate astronomical items of interest.

Unfortunately, your scope is a spotting scope, designed for daytime use. If you want to do astronomy, start with a Newtonian reflector with a primary mirror in the 4.5-6 inch range, and do some research on how to collimate it(align the mirrors). Thats how I started on the cheap, and got far enough in the hobby to find out where I could access far larger scopes for free. Astronomy clubs are filled with enthusiasts who love sharing their expensive scopes. You will learn so much from attending club meets that you become an astronomy SME rather quickly.

Once you download Stellarium, take a gander at M13 in Hercules and see if the scope can resolve the cluster. Its a beauty even under low power and low aperture. If you have no success, get another scope, or take up marksmanship.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Post Script:

I just went outside and noticed that great coitus interruptus of astronomy, the Moon, is approaching full. I am out of practice, I used to be very aware of such things....sigh.

Wait two weeks and try again when il bastardo goes away.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join