It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Defense Department Pretty Much Incompetent In Dealing With Online Threats

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Defense Department Pretty Much Incompetent In Dealing With Online Threats

www.techdirt.c om

... the GAO has put out a brutal report, explaining just how incredibly incompetent the Pentagon has been in both understanding and dealing with any kind of online threats. The full report (pdf) is pretty direct in suggestion that the DoD has known about problems for ages, but has only just started addressing the problems -- and the report says it's too early to tell if they've had any real impact at all.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.tech dirt.com
www.techdirt.com
www.itworld.com
www.gao.gov

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Interestingly, the story darts out by reminding us....

the Defense Department's claims were definitely much more ridiculous, in that it seemed like the entire point of asking for control over online security was to grant the NSA more spying powers. In fact, we found it somewhat hilarious that the DoD seemed to think that one of its best qualifications for managing digital security issues was its own incompetence in dealing with massive security breaches. Yes, the logic was basically "we had crappy security, so we know that online threats are real."

Now I suspect we will begin to see more confabulated and overly-hyped stories from which their demand for more draconian controls will emerge.

While we've long said that the risk of "cyberwar" is blown way out of proportion, that doesn't mean that there aren't many attempts to breach government digital security. Tragically, this report suggests that the DoD is woefully unprepared to deal with the issues, and is only just now trying to catch up (potentially from a position well behind any adversaries.)

Go figure! The GAO report is here.

www.techdirt.c om
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 3-8-2011 by Maxmars because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 10:13 AM
link   
This report is a major false flag, one that is meant to scare most people ignorant of CNA/CND into freely allowing more control and oversight of their cyber interactions.

Trust me,while Russia and China do have significant cyberwarfare capabilities they are not on the same level as the United States.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 10:21 AM
link   
This is why they only post crap in the internet that they want you to see!

You really think something classified from the government is gonna be posted online for all to see?

They've learned their lesson, and are just waiting to nab one of you computer hackers then they will most likely try to hire you on. Could be some damn good money it it I'd think. If you like stripping the American people with even more internet restrictions.

I bet $100 that there will be internet restrictions and anti hacking programs set up for the entire internet by 2015, if the internet is still available when that time comes around.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Do not know why the governement does not just take important files offline.

or..... use better encryption

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by guessing
Do not know why the governement does not just take important files offline.

or..... use better encryption

"Important" files are often times used as bait. It's too tempting to not try to get for a would-be hacker, and as soon as they try, they're getting backdoored as well without them knowing it.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 10:31 AM
link   
I'm pretty sure that if the defense department wanted to be good at dealing with online threats they easily could be. I get the feeling they are waiting for something that seems drastic to happen so they can crack down on the whole internet. Sort of like a digital 9/11. I agree with Dreine that so called "Important" files are often times used as bait. But i suspect that all the real important stuff is just not connected to an external network of any kind.

They are probably thinking 'give them enough rope and they will certainly hang themselves'

edit on 3-8-2011 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 10:48 AM
link   
"Digital 9/11"

I think their words are "pearl harbor like cyber war", If you think the government isn't trying to limit our internet usage you are dead wrong! Even the internet companies want to limit our usage and charge us for how much time we spend online and limit the sites we are able to see.

My guess it will be like TV, you pay a flat rate for "basic online sites" if you want any good sites or alternative news sites you're gonna have to dish out more money. This in return is gonna destroy any alternative websites cause nobody is gonna wanna pay even more to view them.

Just my guess!

edit on 3-8-2011 by Anoynymoose because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 11:07 AM
link   
The government... hell, ALL governments... fear and despise the Internet.

1. It allows people to speak their minds and share their ideas much more effectively than any other means of communication;

2. The governments are losing huge amounts on revenue from their (thus far) inability to tax internet usage and sales.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 11:16 AM
link   
In fact, this fellow ATS post illuminates just what the price of this "crappy security" may be already.

Operation Shady RAT

RAT stands for "remote access tool," a type of software that hackers and security professionals often use to access computer networks from afar.

Here are questions and answers on the attacks, dubbed "Operation Shady RAT" by McAfee, which was bought by Intel Corp earlier this year:

Q. Who are the victims?

A. They include:

- Governments of Canada, India, South Korea, Taiwan, United States and Vietnam.

- International bodies such as the United Nations, the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN), the International Olympic Committee, the World Anti-Doping Agency.

- 12 U.S. defense contractors, 1 U.K. defense contractor.

- Companies in construction, steel, energy, solar power, technology, satellite communications, accounting and media.

- Other groups ranging from a U.S. insurance association to the Nevada county government and think tanks.

McAfee declined to identify many of the victims by name.

www.reuters.com... dUSTRE7720IS20110803

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by windus

A "remote access tool" isn't about bad internet security its a whole different issue. A RAT is a small program that operates on a host (usually personal) computer that allows another user to control some or all of the system from a remote location. RAT infection is mostly about bad system security not bad internet security. A DoS attack is an usually an attack on an internet server hosting a website that works by repeatedly 'visiting' the site in a short space of time which causes an overload on the server which shuts it down or renders it inaccessible to legitimate users.

edit on 3-8-2011 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dreine
This report is a major false flag, one that is meant to scare most people ignorant of CNA/CND into freely allowing more control and oversight of their cyber interactions.

Trust me,while Russia and China do have significant cyberwarfare capabilities they are not on the same level as the United States.

Or to encourage the attacker
which can lead to a False Flag

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   
The internet was created for DOD, it's theirs.

They know more about the world than anyone can possibly fathom. Imagine if a wireless device in some chinese command headquarters could be used as a radar inside the building to know...the rooms dimensions...how many people are in there......what times do they leave....is there a computer with it's port open so webcam's can be spied thru or mic's can be used to listen....

And the best part.....THE WORLD is funding their tool. Didn't cost them a dime.
edit on 3-8-2011 by Pervius because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join