It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Yahoo Mail Upgrade - Scan and Analyse - email sms etc

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   
I was reading this Thread ( by wiandiii ) in this forum, which brought to mind Yahoo7 ( Australia ) and a mail "upgrade" that they push when opening the usual Yahoo Mail...

KISSmetrics service tracks your net useage, can't be evaded, used by many sites
www.abovetopsecret.com...
Now about Yahoo7! ( Australia ) mail upgrade, this is some of the "policy" on the Yahoo7 Mail upgrade...

1. What are “relevant ads” as they relate to Yahoo!7 Mail?

To make our ads more relevant and useful for you, we make educated guesses about your interests based on your activity on Yahoo!7’s sites and services, as well as provide ads that are contextually relevant to the page they are being served with. When you use the new Yahoo!7 Mail our automated systems scan and analyse all incoming and outgoing communications content sent and received from your account (such as Mail and Messenger content including instant messages and SMS messages) to detect, among other things, certain words and phrases (we call them "keywords") within these communications. This might result in ads being shown to you in Mail for products and services that are related to those keywords. In addition, these keywords may contribute to the interest categories we assign to your browser for interest-based ads that we show throughout the Yahoo!7 Ad Network. No additional ads are shown to you, just more relevant ads.

2. How does Yahoo!7 Mail message analysis work?

While many features in the Yahoo!7 Mail are new, the underlying technology that supports them is the same as the automated systems that already scan and analyse your inbox for spam, viruses, malware, and phishing scams. This technology looks for patterns, keywords, and files in Mail, Messenger, and other communications content. In order to bring you the newest Yahoo!7 Mail, , Yahoo!’s automated systems will scan and analyze all incoming and outgoing email, IM, and other communications content sent and received from your account in order to personalize your experience. This will result in both product enhancements as well as more relevant advertising in addition to a safer, less cluttered Mail experience.

etc.. etc...

[url=http://info.yahoo.com/privacy/au/yahoo/mail/ymailfaq/details.html]Link

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Star and flag from me. I don't know what else to say honestly, other then this feels too personal. I don't like it and hope it stops.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Today my youtube AND google accounts asked to call me, they wanted me to give my phone number to call my phone with a code. I x'd out, Im not giving my phone number, but now I can't get into any of these accounts until I do, why are they doing this. And yahoo is bombarding me with this new upgrade, I cant get my mail unless I click that hard to find fine print saying to skip it, and I dont want to upgrade and it comes up every time.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frontkjemper
Star and flag from me. I don't know what else to say honestly, other then this feels too personal. I don't like it and hope it stops.

I am no kind of a computer/internet expert other than the dumb kind. Years ago I would bitch to anyone that would listen to my ranting about how was it possible that outside forces could put cookies and all sorts of software into my computer without my permission. Wasn't that an invasion of privacy? Wasn't my computer similar to my telephone and mail? I would scream about why the government didn't do something about this problem. (Even if I did know they could track my mai and record my phone calls.)

At long last, the truth dawned on me. They allowed access to my computerized secrets to happen because they were planning to get their foot wedged into our computers too. And if we had not absolutely demanded that thay fix that original, rather minor incursion, then they would have the best argument in the world for what they had up their sleeve later.

Their capabilities today are akin to their being inside of our skulls and analzing every aspect of our thoughts, actions and even philosophies. The thought police are here, hanging over every keystroke. In the last twenty years your privacy has literally vanished by purposeful intent. Big Brother is watching you for real.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 08:44 PM
link   
The new Yahoo home page. I accepted it the other day although I don't use it.. My email comes via MS Outlook. Almost be accident this afternoon I brought the page up and noticed that the listing of top news stories were not the standard MSM type. They seemed to be tailored to my tastes as exhibited, of course, by my visited web sites which principally are ATS and Rense.

Now suppose they or somebody was to take this practice in reverse and started excluding links and sites that they didn't want us to see? It could become highly personalized. For example, I may have had an experience with MK-Ultra wayi back when..... But I lack data to prove a damned thing about it. Suppose, such data, perhaps even with my name or army serial number and/or other data appeared on some obscure site on the web. Could that not be easily kept from me with a brief "deny" checked box on an extensive profile with triggers affixed to my searches?

These days, you can't be too paranoid!

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 11:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Serafine

Nice to know other people are truly upset. Google does some of the same things, so I almost never sign in there. Now Yahoo has tried to outclass its users and cram its advertising down their throats. I only used Yahoo as a junk email anyway. I will not allow them. I won't even go in to close the account. It can just sit there and fill up with garbage. I will never go back into that mail again. I now have 1000 pop accounts available through my own website. I can make up an email address, use it for a day or month, then delete the entire address. Making a new one.
I hate the pop ups etc, and run anti scripting and anti flash software in firefox. I cc clean my entire hd every day, and even sweep all of its empty space. Cookies are disabled except when I sign in somewhere such as here to post. Right after I launch this post and give the star, I will once again clean the HD and enable all of my anti scripting and anti add software including refusing flash. No more. I even use an HTTPS search that doesn't record IP addresses. Not foolproof, but Yahoo will not be following me around, and neither will google.
No more yahoo search, no yahoo mail, and no yahoo period. I did the same with Google. All toast

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 12:25 AM
link   
I made a thread this morning about a quite meanspirited (apparent) mass IQ test which 'showed' those who do not upgrade from their default (Internet Explorer) browser, are nearly retarded. I'm not kidding. What a shocking and aggressive trick upon people. The only thing"upgrade" means to me, NO MATTER WHAT on the computer, it regards, is, "We need to get our foot wedged further and further in your personal door." Until there is no worldwide internet anylonger.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 12:42 AM
link   
I started a thread back in 2005 about yahoo's tracking...
Do You Yahoo?
There used to be an option to opt out of yahoo's tracking, and I don't know much about the new Yahoo stuff, but they've been monitoring and tracking internet usage for years.

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 09:54 AM
link   
reply to post by hapablab

is there a possability you can share the location of the opt out link you mentioned?
i use the old adress feature insted of letting them redirect me with the new adress & requirments

basicly i want to opt out of the spyware correctly insted of hacking my adress every time

new topics

top topics

join