It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Hypothetical Question That Will Test Your Morals

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by GonzoSinister
silly example i know... did anyone ever play Comand and Conquer red alert? the general story line (yes there was a story line) was scientists invented a time machine... went back to austria pre- ww2 and killed hitler, this however gave rise to the russian war machine much earlier in stalins career, and thus the allies were caught in a huge war with adiffrent super power one (who had a diffrent goal than the nazi's)

Not a silly example. I was going to post the same thing but wanted to read all the responses first. You beat me to it.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   
I would not.
Perhaps you may "save" thousands of innocent lives who have died in "your original" timeline. However, how are we, in our current mental capacity able to foresee if these "innocent" lives were not meant to end? What I mean is, sure you saved Little Timmy from a life of pain and possibly death. But what if he grew up to become a ruthless dictator? Or killer? Or any other possibilities.

On the flip side, by merely going back in time to "pre-kill" this horrible person we have already changed the timeline. How can we determine with 100% accuracy that this person will be the one who becomes the "bad person"?

The repercussions of our actions are far-reaching, beyond our current comprehension, so in the end, I would say no. Our universe - which includes ourselves - will always follow the "best" path for itself, in it's current time/space and in it's current mindset.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 10:41 AM
link   
I am guessing you haven't watched as much Twilight Zone, Night Gallery, etc. if you think this is a good idea.

One example, a person goes back in time and accidently kills Elvis before he became famous. The timetraveller ends up taking over Elvis's career (and even plans for the death) . (Meeting Elvis was the reason he went back in time - was a major fan).

Now apply this to a dictator - You go back in time, take them out, and time (as a force of nature) pressures you to take his place. (Example, after the murder, you go to jail, become hardened, make connections, etc. and leave jail the dictator we were trying to eliminate).

I believe in time as a force of nature. If time travel is performed, time would attempt to correct any changes to resume its natural flow. You can't mess with Mother Nature.

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 08:38 PM
link   
We exist in the time of duality. Good vs Evil, Yin & Yang, Female vs Male, Right vs Left... It is awful to think people do awful things... and if we could stop all the bad that would be awesome. I don't know?

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 10:22 PM
link   
I would guess it would be easier for someone that doesnt have kids or family or doesnt like their family. It would be easy to get knowing people after you do the mission. Things might be less lonly for you.

I would wait for the time when the dictators are adults and just nearing their horror rieghn.

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join