It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anybody have advice for someone living in their car?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 09:59 AM
link   
What are the laws in the USA on squatting???

Over here in the UK loads of people claim squatters rights.....they will find a house, vacant or otherwise and claim it as their own dwelling.

There has been a few stories in the papers here about people squatting in £5,000,000 properties haha.

There was even a story about a guy who had builders in, they left the door open whilst building.....squatters walked in, changed the locks and claimed the property as their own lol

The owner of the property has to get a court order to evict you.....this can take months or years depending on the circumstances. The owner cannot harass you, ie threaten you, intimidate you etc....you have a right to live in peace, this even covers squatters over here.

It may be worth looking into if you want to sleep somewhere a bit better for a while without having to worry about things too much

Dunno what im doing renting really....i should just get myself to the mansion up the road thats just been finished haha

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 11:16 AM
link   
I was kicked out of my home when I was younger and basically had to rely on my intelligence and friends in order to find somewhere to kip...

Friends come in a lot here, I understand not everyone maybe that lucky, but I relied heavily on my friends making me a sandwich or shipping me some food when they could.

Homeless shelters or retreats may be an idea but I wouldn't get too connected as in general they tend to attract people who will probably do you more harm than good.

Sleeping in a car; it's cold! Get some blankets if you can or if possible a sleeping bag, I'd say try working on the fly if possible- waiting on at a restaurant maybe or working as a kitchen porter.

Swimming baths, gym's all have WC facilities but if the worst comes to the worst then find a local Asda/Walmart and use their bathrooms.

Most McDonalds, KFC, Burger King have the free alcohol "freshen up" wipes on a counter, buy a coke and take a couple.

It's all about doing what you have to do, good luck mate.

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 11:16 AM
link   
double post
edit on 24/7/11 by Death_Kron because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 11:28 AM
link   
reply to post by PTPriceless

Terrible and I am very sorry. I knew of a place where people live in their cars like a trailer park. I think it was in California. Was looking for it online to give you the name but I couldn't find it. Sorry but I did find these websites that may be helpful.

How to Live in Your Car livesafely.org...
How to Live in Your Car www.wikihow.com...
edit on 24-7-2011 by newcovenant because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 11:32 AM
link   

When TSHTF I plan to live in my car.
... just drive away from dangerous areas.
Go where I need to go.

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Death_Kron

Most McDonalds, KFC, Burger King have the free alcohol "freshen up" wipes on a counter, buy a coke and take a couple.

This is a great idea. Most major grocery stores have them right where they store the carts and you don't have to buy anything. But if I were living on limited food, Coke would not be part of it. It is bad enough when you are healthy.

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by newcovenant

To be honest, I put in the part about buying a Coke because most people in general feel a little uncomfortable just walking into a fast food place and taking something without buying at least a drink for example, in reality you'll just walk in, take the wipes and walk out.

As a side note, it's actually fairly shocking as to how dirty you become without having a wash for a week - if needs must then take the wipes people, being unclean isn't very pleasant or healthy ...

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 12:17 PM
link   
you have a car, offer car pooling or courier services. print out some flyers and paste them all over town.

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by randomname
you have a car, offer car pooling or courier services. print out some flyers and paste them all over town.

He will need money to put fuel in his car before he can start driving all over town...

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   
A laptop is good to have to look for jobs and find jobs.
I hope that you get that job you applied for and get back on your feet. Please let us know if you get the job. I will be pray for you to get the job and get back on your feet.

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 01:45 PM
link   
When the SHTF, you might be in a better situation than most. Everything packed and ready to go. Sorry to hear about your situation but my advice would be to keep the tank full, put some bottled water in the trunk, canned and dried food in the backseat and make sure that you know the quickest route out of town. Since you're ready to go, you'll avoid the blocked roads if it comes down to it.

See? Not all bad, right?

But truly I wish you luck. I've slept in cars, under highway passes, back alleys and in a ditch when I was younger. Stay smart and positive and it'll all work out for you.

Good Luck!

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Death_Kron

I think he said his car battery is flat, petrol or not, it aint going anywhere.

Behind the bakeries, they throw out most of their stuff end of each day.....and there's always the soup kitchens and YMCA for showers etc.

If you are looking for work...stand on a busy freeway with a big sign "Obama took my job, now I need another"

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Been there. I lived in my car off and on a couple times. Everyone here has offered some good advice. I would like to add that there may be public parks with camping spaces. For example in AZ you can get a park pass and if there is a spot open, you can park and camp for 14 days at a time. After the 14th day they make you move to another spot. In the mean time you will make friends with the rangers and all the campers. You might be surprised how helpful other people will be. You might even be able to pick up an odd job here and there making cash under the table.

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   

I,ve been unemployed, and know how soul destroying it is,
so I can empathise on that score, only.
My very best wishes to you. I hope things look up for you before too long, all the best...

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 02:51 PM
link   
I feel for you. I've never been in that situation but I've been REALLY poor. It's hard to make it in a city without money.
A couple of suggestions, Travelers Aid and 211.org. Both are there to help folks in need with a variety of services, like, food, housing, employment, health care, counseling and more. Call them now, they're open 24/7.
Keep us updated, I'll keep you in my prayers.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join