It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA Astronomers Find Largest, Most Distant Reservoir of Water

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 02:58 AM
link   
One thing is for sure... All that water out there (and there has to be more) totally finishes any ideas about any alien race coming here to our little spit ball in order to take all the water...

Hollywood are going to have to come up with some other ideas for films now.. Like giant space whales that swallow star cruisers whole..

That really is a lot of water.. unless they find more...

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Ummm do you bother to read posts? My response was in response to the OP's comment: "I wonder where all that water actually came from - was it a huge planet made up of water that got sucked in? "

Originally posted by incrediblelousminds
Do you people read the article ever before commenting? Ever?

Originally posted by princeofpeace
Ummmm that would have to be one huge planet to cause all of that water if the article is correct in stating that it containns 140 trillion times the amount of water on Earth. I doubt a "huge planet of water" is where it came from. Just my 2 cents.

IF I'm reading the article correctly, it is sayng the black whole is actualy 'creating' the water from water vapor already present in space.

"The environment around this quasar is very unique in that it's producing this huge mass of water,"

Originally posted by Johnze
reply to post by wildtimes

Thats exactly how it is, and it kinda infuriates me a lot when NASA do say stuff like this because they never really put a disclaimer in that says

*please be aware, what we are seeing is 10 billion years old and chances are the planet is not Earth like anymore, infact it is more than likely the universe is now shaped like a triangle and everything we know about the universe is guess work. Apart from the super engineers who get guys into space, were actualy just a bunch of really really over qualified archaeologists, with unlimited funding, who occasionaly spy on people for the government, toodles!

You mean how in the very first paragraph it mentions this is 12 billion light years away? You mean like that?

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Extralien
One thing is for sure... All that water out there (and there has to be more) totally finishes any ideas about any alien race coming here to our little spit ball in order to take all the water...

Your right
With Europa being a huge ball of ice and water they wouldn't need to bug us. Also Enceladus is another ice covered moon... but it has something special... WATER Volcanoes

Icy Surface of Enceladus

Credit NASA

Artists concept of the water plumes Credit: NASA APOD Illustration Credit & Copyright: Michael Carroll

FULL SIZE HERE

Cassini image of the plumes...

Credit: Cassini Imaging Team, SSI, JPL, ESA, NASA

DATA and more info
www.thelivingmoon.com...

Hollywood are going to have to come up with some other ideas for films now.. Like giant space whales that swallow star cruisers whole..

Star Trek already did the huge whale ships and the planet eating space critters

edit on 24-7-2011 by zorgon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by ParAvion
I wonder where all that water actually came from - was it a huge planet made up of water that got sucked in? In any event it is nice to see the main precursor to life in such abundance and hopefully this bodes well for the possibility of life elsewhere in the universe.

As Zorgon said, hydrogen is the most abundant element in the Universe. Oxygen is the 8th most abundant, so it's not at all surprising that there would be huge amounts of water out there. It's expected. Now, why there is THIS much water in one place is probably an interesting question, but in a Universe so large it's probably also just inevitable that somewhere you'll get a big clump like this somewhere.

Originally posted by neo96
considering the amount of water on this planet

it would have to have been pounded time and time aigan by extremely large comets that all didsnt burn up during atmospheric entry,

so i have a problem with water from earth came from comets

When a comet burns up in the atmosphere it just turns the water-ice it's made of into steam or if there's enough energy it might actually break up the hydrogen and oxygen...but that hydrogen and oxygen has to do something when it mingles again, and it's quite likely a lot of it will just turn back into water.

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by LifeInDeath

but considering how hot atmospheric entry is seems to me both the hydrogen and oxygen would simply burn up.

the oxygen feeds the burning of the hydrogen doesnt it?

it also stands to reason that speed,trajectory and composition would have alot to do with that as well.

how many comets are exactly alike?
edit on 24-7-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   

but considering how hot atmospheric entry is seems to me both the hydrogen and oxygen would simply burn up.

hydrogen... when it 'burns' turns to water

Burning is oxidization

When iron rusts it turns to iron oxide FeO ... if you heat the iron oxide, the oxygen leaves and you get iron

In effect water is hydrogen rust H₂0 If you use electricity you can split the water into hydrogen and oxygen... then add a spark and the hydrogen burns again and makes WATER

The Shuttle uses liquid hydrogen and liquid oxygen as fuel the exhaust 'smoke' is WATER vapour

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by ParAvion

I can see it now...."MMMMM Black hole water is the best!"(
) I need to get me some of that!!!!

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by PsykoOps

how very ignorent.

How do you know that life cannot be sustained in such an evrionment? Because it's hostile to us does not make it hostile to some other life form, as you can see the universe is full of mysteries. We have no idea what is out there. So to say life cannot be there is just ignorent to say the least.

We have no idea what is out there, saying otherwise is stupid.

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by David291

Black holes suck stuff in, chew it up and spew it back out as a stream of energy from the poles. (something we only recently learned)

It is HIGHLY unlikely that any life would have time to evolve in such conditions

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

i dont argue that but considering the extreme temperatures is it still the same?

over 6000 degrees kelvin?

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by David291

Since we just discovered that we have more than 4 base pairs in our DNA I would ay you are right on. Science has just loacted another 4 -

ATS thread

We are still learning about ourselves.. To assume that all life must be exactly like us is just as naieve as thinking we are alone in the universe.

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

We assume thats what happens when someting enters a black hole. We have no real idea, nor do we know what comes out the other end of a black hole.

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Water is the building blocks of everything even outside our galaxy, it shouldn't be a surprise that we can find it everywhere..and to think people still think we are alone

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 04:51 PM
link   

i dont argue that but considering the extreme temperatures is it still the same?
over 6000 degrees kelvin?

Is 6000 degrees kelvin hot enough to vaporize a hydrogen atom? when the sun heats up those hydrogen atoms we get nuclear fusion into helium

Just saying

Also when a comet, rock or spaceship enter the atmosphere, the heat is on the outside while it remains cold on the inside This has been shown on meteorites where the center is still frozen from absolute zero in space... and our astronauts make it through as well, so water from comets would reach the ground

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

yeah but comets are made up of more than just hydrogen and oxygen.

i dont recall that much oxygen being burned up in the sun

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 04:34 AM
link   
reply to post by ParAvion

Me again. This morning I am less tired. Read through the thread again, and it occurs to me that we also need to remember "TIME" is a concept, a construct in itself, that physicists and mystics alike say "warped", "folded," is "circular, etc." and even that it's a complete mirage (in the sense that all things are happening at once); that in cosmic "reality" time - the linear past/present/future doesn't exist at all EXCEPT to our sensory limitations.

And if that's the case, and this "visual" just now reached our optical acuity (limited as it is), and is a black hole (a concept which I find very hard to understand anyway), is it conceivable that the "black-hole" later became something else? As in, its gravitational power (sucking things INTO it) was reversed and it then spewed all that water outward? Some - a tiny bit - of which, might now be the water that is on earth?

I ask in all sincerity. I want to understand physics, but my brain is just not very well-wired to "get" it. I try, I read a lot, and stumble through heady texts and technical videos and whatever shows I can catch on the tube or puter,
but I honestly don't comprehend it very well.

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 05:00 AM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

We don't know a lot about black holes yet. Just a few years ago we thought that they consume everything, that nothing escapes... now we see jets of energy shooting out from the poles...

Here is one NASA found

An illustration of Cygnus X-1, showing the companion star HDE 226868,
the black hole, material streaming from the companion to the black hole,
and the emission of X-rays near the black hole.

imagine.gsfc.nasa.gov...

Artists concepts of that same one

Just google black hole and you will see many images like this, our current understanding of the jets

They believe there is one at the center of all galaxies

Where do they go, if they lead anywhere? No way to find out without going into that cosmic garborator

Maybe a shortcut to another region of space...

edit on 25-7-2011 by zorgon because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join