It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama: Americans back me on debt deal

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 11:44 PM
link   
I'll tell you what...I would love for ATS to "Poll" 100 people, out of your local phone book, and see if we can get 80% of Americans to agree with mr. obama. I can almost guarantee that we would not! I am up for it, is any one else?

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 02:33 AM
link   
80 of ppl that never voted. look at him smiling while hes talking

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 07:42 AM
link   
I'll weigh in with my opinions.
1. Tax the rich. Are you kidding me? I used to live in NJ, and between my wife and I, we made just over 250k. To Obama, that's rich. Yeah right. Double or triple that income figure and you'll have my support on higher taxes. Why should someone who worked hard be penalized because of their success. How about we start having people who pay NO taxes pay a little along with the "rich". 100% of people should pay some sort of income tax, however small it is.
2. Close tax loopholes. What do you expect? Government over regulates and taxes business to dealth. Of course their response is to move jobs offshore and take advantage of every tax loophole there is. Its not much different than when individuals do their taxes and take advantage of what they can legally deduct. Don't hate the player, hate the game.
3. Tax decreases don't stimulate the economy. I'll have to track down the statistics, but I've seen studies that show the economy growing and contracting during both tax cuts and tax increases. There are far too many other variables in the economy to blame or credit only taxes. I will tell you this though. If I were a business owner and knew that tax increases were on the horizon, even if its in the 2013 time frame, I would not be hiring or expanding my business....especially with the uncertainty surrounding how Obama's health plan will impact businesses. The smart move would be to offer incentives and abatements, similar to what states do to draw businesses to their state. If you want a warm and fuzzy feeling, then tie those incentives to creating a minimum number of jobs for a certain length of time.
4. Social security is my money....I contributed all my life. Yes you did, to a glorified ponzi scheme. If you average 40k a year over a 40 year working career, you've made 1.6 million and contributed about $99,200 and your employer did too. That's $198,400. If your benefits are $1200 a month, you're benefits would be exhausted in about 13 years. After that, you're collecting earnings that you didn't contribute. The population is generally living longer, so people living to 85 or even 90 isn't an excepsion, it's becoming the norm. Obviously I'm oversimplifying and not counting an increase in value, etc. Then there's the people who don't work a full 40 years before retiring. You only need something like 40 credits to quality for full benefits, which is 10 years of working full time. Someone who worked 10 years and then collects for 35 years is certainly collecting multiples of what they contributed. When I owned rental properties, I must have known at least 2 dozen people who were collecting some form of social security or disability or something. The majority of them also worked jobs under the table so as to not affect their benefits. The sense of entitlement was absolutely disgusting. God forbid I had to collect $50 from them for the water bill. I was the rich and evil landlord in their eyes. I'm 42 and don't expect ss to be around when I retire. Am I bitter that what I contributed will be gone? Yes I am, but there's not much else I can about it other than my own investing. I'd love for SS to be changed to an individual plan that can be self directed.

As far as current debt ceiling debate goes, why is it that it was OK for Obama to vote against it when he was a senator, but he's blasting republicans now? If I borrowed 40 cents of every dollar I spent, I'd go bankrupt within months. I hear the argument that we have to raise the debt ceiling because this is money we've already spent. 2.5 trillion dollars? Are you kidding me? A balanced budget ammendment is the only way the morons in Washington (both Republican and Democrat) will ever get their act together. It will FORCE them to tackle the tough issues like defense spending and entitlements. No more Popeye economics where I'll gladly give you spending cuts on Tuesday for a debt ceiling hike or tax increases today.

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by boondock-saint
I am beginning to think this stalemate
(Congressional Stand-off) is by design.

It is what Soros wants.

To crash the economy for his NWO.

And Soros' puppet Obama is in the heat
of the debate and won't budge.

Sounds like Soros has got things pretty
tied up for his agenda.

Nothing to see here,
move along folks

Well done. I was waiting for you to see the big picture.
This whole - crisis - was orchestrated weeks ago.

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Yet another thread claiming the entirety of a country supports something.

Funk you obama. No one I know supports your corporatist policies.
edit on 16-7-2011 by djzombie because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Also posted on another related thread ...

So, which version of obama are we supposed to pay attention to now?

Researching how the dems voted on raising the debt ceiling during the Bush administration ....

source

What he (obama) won't mention is that in March of 2006, under President George W. Bush, when Democrats were in the senate minority, then-senator Barack Obama voted against raising the debt ceiling. So did every single one of his Democratic colleagues.

edit on 7/18/2011 by centurion1211 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join