It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

News Corp withdraws bid for BSkyB

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 09:24 AM
link   

News Corp withdraws bid for BSkyB

www.bbc.co.uk

Rupert Murdoch's News Corporation has announced that it is dropping its planned bid to take full ownership of satellite broadcaster BSkyB.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.guardian.co.uk
www.independent.co.uk
www.guardian.co.uk

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
How A Murdered Schoolgirl's Hacked Voicemail May Cost Murdoch His British Ambitions
Rupert Murdoch's media empire reveals unprecedented $8+ trillion SEC scandal

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Finally the old digger drops it. About time too!

Cameron is flapping.

Ed Milliband:

"This is a victory for people up and down this country who have been appalled by the revelations of the phone hacking scandal and the failure of News International to take responsibility.

People thought it was beyond belief that Mr Murdoch could continue with his takeover after these revelations.

It is these people who won this victory. They told Mr Murdoch: 'This far and no further'.

Nobody should exercise power in this country without responsibility".

www.guardian.co.uk...

I really think something huge may be about to drop on Cameron's blondy little Etonian head. Watch PM's question time.. A worried man if ever I saw one, and the first great performance in Milliband's leadership.

www.bbc.co.uk...

And

news.sky.com... os=Business_Carousel_Region_0&lid=ARTICLE_16029718_News_Corp_Withdraws_Its_Bid_For_BSkyB_Following_News_Of_The_World_Hacking_Scandal

www.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 13-7-2011 by lazernation because: to add

And this from his own toilet rag;

www.thesun.co.uk...

And from his toilet rag rival;

www.mirror.co.uk...

And likeso;

www.dailymail.co.uk...

edit on 13-7-2011 by lazernation because: Add

This is a great headline

Murdoch, savaged in parliament, pulls BSkyB bid
edit on 13-7-2011 by lazernation because: add

And,

Simon Hughes (left), the Lib Dem deputy leader, has put out a statement about the News Corporation decision. My colleagues and I have been warning for 17 years of the dangers of the growing influence of the Murdochs in Britain. Three days ago the most popular Murdoch title disappeared - ruined by the excesses of some of its staff. Today the News International bid for BSkyB has been withdrawn. At last the sun is setting on Rupert Murdoch's British empire. Journalism in the UK used to have the reputation as the best in the world. It is in the interests of all the public that this reputation is now restored.

www.guardian.co.uk...

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 09:34 AM
link   
About time too.

I am just wondering what game tptb are playing now, i am sure they will have planned for this to happen.
We live in interesting times people, be interesting to see what the next move is from the elites.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 09:36 AM
link   
To be honest if Murdoch got rid of his papers then I would be happy for Murdoch to own BSkyB, It's through his papers that he pushes his own political ideology, which is obviously dangerous in any democracy when those papers are read by so many.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Will this be enough to appease whoever have been pushing this forward?

I guess we will find out soon enough if the current batch of stories surrounding News Corp are killed/watered down..

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 09:43 AM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

To be honest if Murdoch got rid of his papers then I would be happy for Murdoch to own BSkyB, It's through his papers that he pushes his own political ideology, which is obviously dangerous in any democracy when those papers are read by so many.

Newspapers are dying which is why he wanted BSkyB...which he would also use to push his own political ideology...just like he does with Fox News...which is watched by millions in the United States.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by thoughtsfull

I guess we will find out soon enough if the current batch of stories surrounding News Corp are killed/watered down..

Appease who though? I think that for once, the parties are actually listening to the people and counting lost votes, or of course, gained votes. Either way, good has come from the # storm. Long may it continue. Mail/Mirror/Star/Times and so on next, please.......

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by David9176

Your right, I dont think we need a FOX news here in the UK, compared to you guys, we are pretty lucky with the quality of TV News in this country. We certainly don't have the talking head style "news" fox delivers. Lets just hope this is the end of the road for Murdoch in the UK, although I highly doubt it.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 10:03 AM
link   
reply to post by lazernation

That would be the question I have been asking myself for a while now... who is behind this? especially given the unseemly power of the media married to the levels of bribery and blackmail we are only getting a taster of doesn't suddenly come to a head and then end so abruptly or so simply..

Hence why I feel something else is afoot, a something else that leaves me wondering if withdrawing from the BSkyB deal will be enough to (for want of a better word) call off the dogs.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 10:14 AM
link   
This will not stop the Investigation into these phone hacking allegations.

This is a ploy for the Murdoch s. I wonder what else they will drop over here in the UK.

Those in British Newspapers, employees, should start to worry with regards to their jobs.

How things turn. Who would have thought all of this would happen within 2 weeks.

Oh an a little note. David Cameron is not Blonde

edit on 13-7-2011 by AnonymousFem because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by AnonymousFem
David Cameron is not Blonde

edit on 13-7-2011 by AnonymousFem because: (no reason given)

hehe....

Sorry. Whenever I think of Dave I get an image of a coiffured, effeminate, lying, little, gay blonde man....

The horror! the horror!
edit on 13-7-2011 by lazernation because: la

Live coverage for those that can get it

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by lazernation

Originally posted by thoughtsfull

Appease who though? I think that for once, the parties are actually listening to the people and counting lost votes, or of course, gained votes. Either way, good has come from the # storm. Long may it continue. Mail/Mirror/Star/Times and so on next, please.......

I'd like to think that the decision was taken on the depth of public feeling, but I can't help feeling that both main party's are trying to distance themselves from the relationships they have had with Murdoch, and will be hoping that the withdrawal of the bid will prevent the details from being exposed.
But then I may just be being cynical.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 09:23 PM
link   
reply to post by firstorlunch

So would we all, but the public are not stupid, with the past MP's expenses scandals, the public do not trust the politicians as much nowadays. Everyone knows that MP's are in this to even scores with those who brought this up in the first place.

What scares me more, which I caught today during the commons debate on News Internationals Bid For BSKYB, was one of the MP's who referred to regulating sites such as Facebook, Twitter, Google etc, so that they know what truth is being put out on the web. Supposedly so "public are getting the right truths". Which I find a little alarming. We all know what he meant, by this, keep them under control by telling them false truth, which could be based on false information.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 09:25 PM
link   
Wow...Fox News lovers are flooding this thread!!!!

It's not ok for their government to be corrupt...but if the news agency they get their info is corrupt...all is good!!

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 09:41 PM
link   
reply to post by David9176

More fox news haters than lovers, that is for sure

Anyone know how things are going over the US with the allegations over New International hacking 9/11 victims phones?

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 10:10 PM
link   
Any idea how they were able to access the voicemails? Did they keep on dialing until they guessed the code or something?

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 10:13 PM
link   
reply to post by THE_PROFESSIONAL

None as of yet, but supposedly, some had bugging devices placed on their cars. We will not know what is the truth and what is not until this so called, lets hope non corrupt investigation is complete. Even that could take months if not p to a year to investigate. They have over 4000 numbers, which have been hacked into, not including, emails, bank accounts etc.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 10:23 PM
link   
reply to post by AnonymousFem

Ahh I see, this is why people should take their personal security seriously. Even though Rupert Murdoch was extremely unethical and hopefully is removed from power by the US military or something people should still make every effort to keep themselves secure. If your email password was 3 characters long and the clue in case you forgot your password is "what is your year of birth" then its not my fault.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 10:28 PM
link   
reply to post by THE_PROFESSIONAL

The question should be, which other global media organisations is as guilty as the Murdoch Media Empire is. I am not sticking up for the dude or anything, in fact, I am happy he has dropped his bid for BSKYB for now.

If this goes as far reaching, which I think it will. There wont be no need for individuals or groups such as anonymous, religious fanatic groups, etc whom will cause the statutory regulation of the internet, or cause the killer switch as many on ATS members have commented on several threads of discussion. It will be the mainstream media themselves.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 11:37 PM
link   
reply to post by AnonymousFem

I think they are all just as guilty. When MSNBC clearly leaves out Ron Paul out of the fund-raising stats on the boards it is clearly conspiracy. All the big news corporations are just as guilty. They really don't give out news anymore except for precanned statements. Why are only certain reporters allowed into the white house press conferences with canned statements?

top topics

join