It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Converting to Islam

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 07:15 AM
link   
Hi,
I have never been a particularly religious person, but after reading some of the recent racist threads here on ATS I thought I would look into the Quran. After reading some of it and chatting to a few Muslims I thought I might as well convert to Islam.

I am sick and tired of reading all the hate fuelled threads on ATS by members who are blatantly EDL or part of other racist groups. Its not hard to spot them, generally they find it impossible to hide their hatred in their threads no matter how innocent and believable they try to make themselves. They are generally ill educated thugs who think they can join a cause to justify their desire to inflict violence and verbal abuse on others.

So, these idiots spouting all this clap trap about towel heads and Sharia law have actually had the opposite effect on me, having lead me to investigate further. The Quran preaches the opposite of how these racist thugs are behaving. What I would now like, is some advice on how to take further steps in converting properly to become a muslim.

Your thoughts and advice are greatly appreciated.

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 07:22 AM
link   
Islam certainly doesn't preach nowhere near (if any) as much violence as people like to make out. I've know quite a few Islamic people and never met a violent one. All peaceful and honourable people. The problems lie with the extremists you get with any religion. People use religion as a guise to spread hate and it sickens me.

We have Catholic priests molesting children and getting away with it for gods sake! (Literally for gods sake..) But to be honest you can't be surprised that there are so many Islamic extremists considering that we bomb their neighbourhoods and civilians under the guise of democracy..

If there was a nation bombing civilians in my country I'd be PISSED.
edit on 26/10/2010 by TechUnique because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 07:24 AM
link   
reply to post by HologramDenier

You thought "you might as well convert to islam" LOL

Brilliant....that seriously made me laugh haha

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 07:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by HologramDenier
I am sick and tired of reading all the hate fuelled threads on ATS by members who are blatantly EDL or part of other racist groups.
What I would now like, is some advice on how to take further steps in converting properly to become a muslim.

Do you think it's the best idea for you to solicit religious advice from a place where the hatred of your religion is so blatant and obvious? Does that make sense to you? Or are you trying to bait some people into a brawl?

And shouldn't this be in the religion forum? Islam is a religion.

I don't have the prejudices you see around here against Islam. My advice is to go to a clergyperson of the religion you are interested in. Hang out with people who LOVE Islam. Don't get advice from people who hate your religion.

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 07:25 AM
link   

The first step is belief, the belief in one GOD, and recognizing that Mohammad is a prophet sent by GOD... Along with that, you have to recognize that Quran is the word of GOD and everything within the Quran is true and nothing but the truth (having doubts is normal, learning to overcome those doubts is one of the missions).

Then there is the practical and cultural conversion to Islam. In practical and cultural context you have to be in front of witnesses and pronounce your faith. They will ask you to recite "ašhadu ʾan lā ʾilāha ʾilla (A)llāh, wa ʾašhadu ʾanna Muḥammada(n) rasūlu (A)llāh", which basically means there is no GOD except Allah (GOD) and Mohammad is his messenger.

If you want to convert in practical terms then the best option is to visit a mosque, they will help you a lot, and they are very friendly, some might argue too friendly.
edit on 11-7-2011 by confreak because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 07:26 AM
link   

Why ask us?

Why not just ask your muslim friends how to go about it?

This has all the hallmarks of a deliberate troll thread - set up to incite the very responses you complain about.

Move along - nothing to see here.

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 07:27 AM
link   

I totally agree with regarding the disease of Isloamophobia that is sweeping through not just ATS but society as a whole, therefore I applauded you for taking the time to actually do some research and talk to Islamic people about their faith. I personally think that people’s fear of Islam stems from ignorance, and I commend you for addressing what may have been your own ignorance of Islam and reaching your own conclusion that Islam is on the whole a religion of peace.

That being said however I would question your motives for “converting” to Islam, converting just because you see Islam as being under attack is probably not a good idea, it is exactly that which leads to extremist radicalisation. You should convert because you truly believe in Allah and the messages of peace in the Qur’an, not because of your obvious feelings of discontent and abhorrence with the xenophobic rhetoric of some members of ATS and the wider society.

I only hope you are becoming a Muslim for the right reasons.

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 07:27 AM
link   
If you have read the Quran, i am sure you are aware of the passages regarding jews and basically all non muslims.
I think this book, like the bible is very schizophrenic, both smack of megalomania and messianic delusions.
Between Truth and God/Allah
always choose Truth.

I think the west is very tolerant of islam, The people you call racists are not.
Islam is not a race, it's a belief that is a pie in the sky, that is bigoted and intolerant, and quite frankly constipated with self righteousness.

No medieval belief system will take away the freedoms that have been paid for in blood.

My religion is : F@#$k off, and don't bother me with you fairytails

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 07:29 AM
link   
go for it, but when they tell you to blow yourself up, I'd pass on it.

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 07:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Precisely, OP is a troll.

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 07:38 AM
link   

I am an Atheist.
Because I have not found any religion that is 100% or even 75% of my world view.

If I must choose a religion.
I would look into Buddhism.

Quotation by Siddhãrtha Gautama (Buddha):

"Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it.
Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many.
Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books.
Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders.
Do not believe in traditions simply because they have been handed down for many generations.
But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive
to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it."

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 07:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by TechUnique
Islam certainly doesn't preach nowhere near (if any) as much violence as people like to make out. I've know quite a few Islamic people and never met a violent one.
edit on 26/10/2010 by TechUnique because: (no reason given)

In all respect, that's because most of the peaceful Muslims follow the older parts of the Quaran rather then the latest editions.

Jamie.

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 07:48 AM
link   

You can understand it from the Muslims view-point their home countries are literally under attack by the Fascists United Corporations Of America.

Imperial Colonialism at its finest.

No wonder they are upset and in outrage of the "Crusades"

I understand where you're coming from there is a lot of hate towards Muslims though.

I am agnostic and do not confide in Religion.

Peace.

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 07:51 AM
link   
Seek Pantheism.
en.wikipedia.org...
This is what God wants you to believe

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 07:52 AM
link   
reply to post by TheUniverse

I think you should read up some history on Islamic imperialism, and the reasons for the crusades.

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 07:53 AM
link   
reply to post by pandapowerjamie

Did you know you don't make sense?

In other notes, all groups of people have their violent elements, Muslims, Christians, Atheists, Doctors, Engineers, Blacks, Whites, Hindus, Chinese, American, Arab, Iranian, handsome, ugly, long haired, boldie...

For those Atheists who will rile up against me for inserting Atheism in the long list of categorization of people where segments resort to violence, don't forget, Anarchists are Atheists.

It is a fact that most anarchists are atheists. They reject the idea of god and oppose all forms of religion, particularly organised religion. Today, in secularised western European countries, religion has lost its once dominant place in society. This often makes the militant atheism of anarchism seem strange. However, once the negative role of religion is understood the importance of libertarian atheism becomes obvious. It is because of the role of religion and its institutions that anarchists have spent some time refuting the idea of religion as well as propagandising against it.

--source--

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 07:56 AM
link   

I have never been a particularly religious person, but after reading some of the recent racist threads here on ATS I thought I would look into the Quran...

The Quran preaches the opposite of how these racist thugs are behaving.

Islam is not a race or ethnic group of people. It is a religion and there's no harm in people pointing out the flaws in religions.

If you wish to convert to Islam then you should probably start by bookmarking the Quran online, possibly buying your own copy, and I guess try visiting a local mosque and talking to people who practice the religion.

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 07:58 AM
link   
If you were sincere and serious about wanting to convert to Islam, I would advise you to study the religion first. Belief in the Quran alone, does not make you a muslim - you have to believe in the hadiths and sunnah (sayings and actions of Muhammad). There are hundreds of thousands of these so called sayings, most of which are ridiculous...

I would go on and advise you, but you are a Troll.

I checked your last post, Stock up on food now!!! [HOAX]

Pathetic!

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by confreak
reply to post by pandapowerjamie

Did you know you don't make sense?

In other notes, all groups of people have their violent elements, Muslims, Christians, Atheists, Doctors, Engineers, Blacks, Whites, Hindus, Chinese, American, Arab, Iranian, handsome, ugly, long haired, boldie...

For those Atheists who will rile up against me for inserting Atheism in the long list of categorization of people where segments resort to violence, don't forget, Anarchists are Atheists.

It is a fact that most anarchists are atheists. They reject the idea of god and oppose all forms of religion, particularly organised religion. Today, in secularised western European countries, religion has lost its once dominant place in society. This often makes the militant atheism of anarchism seem strange. However, once the negative role of religion is understood the importance of libertarian atheism becomes obvious. It is because of the role of religion and its institutions that anarchists have spent some time refuting the idea of religion as well as propagandising against it.

--source--

Anarchists is a political view.
A political view of having NO Political ruling in a country.

That has nothing to do with Not believing there's a God/Diety.

I am Not an Anarchist.
But I am an Atheist.

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 08:13 AM
link   
reply to post by sean_uk

Or he's worried about the arrival of aliens and is wishing to convert to Islam for protection.

Something about the last 12 months and the unusual world events leaves me feeling that Aliens have arrived and are now here among us.

they are in cloaked ships, high up in the atmosphere and deep in the Oceans.

Perhaps this fear of aliens caused him to worry about the food supply and now he's wanting to find a religion to help make sense of it all, or perhaps he wants a new group of friends to help him eat all the bread he bought.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join