It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Old Predictions area?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 08:13 PM
link   
I was just reading a thread started back in 2005 about aliens coming in 2010 and it was really informative on the way people think about the future, and how they word their posts when they predict things that seem so far off, and I was thinking how incredible it would be to have an area in the Predictions forum where predictions that have come to date are organized/discussed. Is there something like this already?

If not, has anyone thought about starting the area up? Maybe divided into years or by topic? I'd definitely be willing to help search for old threads if needed! I really think analysis of past predictions is valuable. It quickly puts things into perspective... or it did for me. (Makes you go into 'big picture' perspective I suppose).

So many people are so very sure that X or Y will happen, but then when X and Y don't happen, those people just kinda forget the whole thing, and I think that it would be good to acknowledge that the predictions were false, instead of just chucking it all aside and starting a new prediction.

Also, it might cut down on the frivolous prediction threads if people knew that their predictions weren't just gonna disappear, but would be set aside and checked out later.

Edit: Uh - Oh, I think I just found an older thread asking the same question! Yikes. I apologize if this has been hashed out before. I just got really excited about going over old predictions and jumped out with this thread.!
edit on 10-7-2011 by AlphaBetaGammaX because: I clicked the search button!

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 04:18 AM
link   
reply to post by AlphaBetaGammaX

Well now, wether discussed before or not, its an interesting point. However the one problem I can see with this sort of thing, is that such a forum should it be compiled, would show great amounts of idiocy on the part of some members, and fallacy on the part of thier chosen prophets, and destroy every argument for non logical prediction.
Do you really think that such a thing could come to pass, on a site which is at least half frequented by those who believe most feverantly in these prophets?

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by TrueBrit
Do you really think that such a thing could come to pass, on a site which is at least half frequented by those who believe most feverantly in these prophets?

I was kind of hoping so!

There are two things that make ATS the go-to site that it is: 1)The very intelligent members engaging in critical thinking. They may not be in the majority, but dang, they be dedicated! 2) The vast freaking archive of old posts!

Which is why I would love to actually go through some of those old threads and make an organized archive of some of the predictions. Going on probability and vagueness of predictions, some of the old threads have probably come true, which would make for a fun couple of minutes, (until one of those members engaging in critical thinking comes in and crushes it under-foot
)

One thing I do see as a problem, which others mentioned before, is that it might tangle up the site by moving all the prediction threads around. So, I was wondering if maybe the 'old predictions' area might be set up slightly differently. Perhaps each thread in the area could have a link to the original thread, and then the rest of the posts would just be open to talk about the old prediction/prophecy from the present time perspective. (Also, this would be nice because I think some folks, like me, can feel like they are doing something wrong when bumping an old thread from, like, 2005.)

But perhaps old, failed predictions aren't as fun to everybody else as they are to me! Go figure!

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 10:22 AM
link   
reply to post by AlphaBetaGammaX

Hehe... well , Im a believer in God, so I can understand enjoying old predictions... I am certainly awaiting the end of days with anticipation

But on a more serious note I dont think you should feel bad for adding your thoughts to a thread that you find interesting personaly. I think its important that we all get to explore the subjects which we find to be fascinating. It fires our imagination, and that imagination and appetite for more information is what drives this site, what keeps us gazing at stars, prodding at the atom. Both for the website, and for the world, we ought to take all and any oppertunities to improve our understanding. If that means bumping an ancient thread (and by ancient, I mean that when you press submit, your mouse and keyboard shoot little plumes of dust about a foot in the air) then thats what it means.

I dont know if you knew this, but you can even reboot an old topic in some circumstances, particularly if you find that the subject could be opened up in another forum. Sure, the same thing being in Breaking news twice is no use, but if you found an old Breaking News topic that interested you, but was for instance , involved with science, and if that thread had not been made in the Science and Tech forum, you could reboot it there without infringing the rules. I would talk to a mod about this subject if I were you . They will be able to fill you in on the ins and outs of the rules and regs where that sort of thing is concerned.

Most of all seek what you will , let nothing stand in your way , for the greater good !

new topics

top topics

join