It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Some Bullying Is Needed

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   
I would have to say in general I agree with the jist of this article.

Too many children are turning out to be nampy pampy, whiney, wussy little crybabies who need others to fight their battles for them.

Yes that may sound harsh, but if these so called "victims" don't learn how to stand up for themselves, they never will cope very well in adulthood.

I think it is better to stand up to the bully, sure you may get slapped down, but you learn to grown a backbone & won't be pushed over all your life.

Conspiracy wise do the governments of the world support this dobbing in bullies so that people stay nampy pampy, whiney, wussy little crybabies dependant on the nanny state & never learn to argue back about what the government & others are doing to this world of ours'.

Learning how to stand up for yourself is a vital social skill needed to be learnt for ones' self.

I personally went through bullying as well & was a coward at first, then I stood up to the bully & he surprised me by apologising to me.

There are genuine cases where intvention is needed but, the majority needed to be dealt with by the kids themselves.

Also with all the PC rubbish, any kid that acts slighty bully, is labelled no good & then shunned or discarded as a no hoper, with a bit of help the source of there problem can be solved & they stop lashing out..

www.news.com.au...

Peter Hockey, Head Of Beaconhills College Junior School Says 'Bully' Is Overused

Kids should be taught to argue back
Teachers overusing the word "bully"

BRATTY students are being unfairly branded bullies by parents and teachers who do not know the meaning of the word, according to a Victorian educator.
Peter Hockey, head of Beaconhills College junior school, said the word "bully" was overused and victims of schoolyard nastiness should harden up.

"Rather than just say, 'Well that person is a bully and that person is a victim', we need to empower children to stand up and confront these people who are being nasty," Mr Hockey said.

"I don't like to say 'toughen up', but they need to be taught to argue back or stand up for what they believe is right, explain themselves more fully or use humour or whatever other skills they have."

The veteran educator said the correct definition of a bully was "a person who is habitually cruel to others who are weaker".

Mr Hockey said he had only encountered a handful of bullies in his 36 years of teaching.

"I have taught many children who have been nasty to others, but these children are not bullies," Mr Hockey said.

"They are very often simply being nasty because they have been hurt by a situation, or they are being selfish or are responding to an earlier problem."

He said most "nasty" children could be taught to be nice, while bullies were born bad.

"To label a child a bully who has made the mistake of being nasty is wrong," Mr Hockey said. "Nasty and naughty behaviour is fixable and we must educate all not to engage in this sort of behaviour."

Parents Victoria executive officer Gail McHardy rejected Mr Hockey's calls for victims of schoolyard harassment to learn to deal with it themselves.

"We need to recognise that some children are stronger than others and it is never as simple as telling them to come up with ways to cope with unacceptable behaviour, whether we are calling it bullying or whatever else," Ms McHardy said.

"It is important for children to speak to someone immediately rather than let it fester or try to deal with it themselves. We don't want them to become vigilantes."

Ms McHardy also rejected Mr Hockey's claim that the word "bully" was overused.

"Call it what you want; the end result can be devastating to children," she said.

edit on 9-7-2011 by acrux because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Bullying is still rampant in my town and most of the UK I'm sure.
It's just upped levels so much that instead of being a bully you are a chav.
There is a big chav/gang culture hitting the UK at the moment.
I like to call it the 'Chav epidemic'
Ugh.

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 01:10 PM
link   
What is a "chav"?

I have heard this term alot from you limeys....what does it mean? We don't say "chav" in the US, so I'm confused....

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by CaptChaos
What is a "chav"?

I have heard this term alot from you limeys....what does it mean? We don't say "chav" in the US, so I'm confused....

Someone who commits loads of anti social crime.
People who purposefully seek out normal people to make them victims.
Bullies basically but on a much worse scale.
Just thugs who live solely to distress and depress the people around them.

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 01:15 PM
link   

What is a "chav"?

Good question. A quick google search yielded this:

For the unenlightened, chavs are a subcultural stereotype of a person with fashions such as flashy "bling" jewellery and counterfeit designer clothes, an uneducated, impoverished background, a tendency to congregate around places such as fast-food outlets or other shopping areas, and a culture of antisocial behaviour

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 01:15 PM
link   

What is a "chav"?

Watch it with the limeys

Chav, google it.

Stereotypical teenage layer about, wearing masses of fake designer clothing/Gold acting like the big man who is happy to steal, fight, be abusive in general to anyone he/she feels like.

Basically a teenage crap bag.
edit on 9/7/11 by Death_Kron because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by acrux

I actually agree with you to an extent, Bullying is horrible.

I was bullied a few times at primary school and maybe a couple of times in high school until I stood up for myself, grabbed hold of the "cock" during a music lesson and showed him that I was stronger and wouldn't back down. Funny thing is, at first the "bad" kids at school didn't like me but a week later they were all my best friends (presumably for showing guts)

Bullying can be extreme and some people take it badly, but in general it's something we all had to deal with at school and in all fairness something everyone will experience all their lives - I've seen 60 year old women bullied at work and burst into tears.

Everyone gets intimidated in life, you basically learn from it and carry on.

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Being bullied sucks, period. But, all this anti-bullying campaign leaves me a little mystefied. Isn't WAR, you know the indescriminate slaughtering and TERRORization of mostly innocent human beings, the most extreme form of bullying known to man? So, let me get this straight, don't pick on your schoolmates but here is a weapon, now kill all those people over there because that's ok...
edit on 7/9/2011 by budaruskie because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 09:21 PM
link   
reply to post by budaruskie

Basically if you kill for your own reasons you are a homocidal psychopath, but kill for your government & your a national hero.

We in Oz recently had one of our soldiers in Afghanistan described as a great warrior, but if he had been like that at home he would have been locked away or shot by the police.

I once heard that history's judging of greatness was only determined by the number of people you exterminated, eg. Alexander the Great. This is because history is written by the winning side.

If Hitler had won WW2 would he be known now as the monster we know him as today, or the great "Fruher" who cleansed the world of the Jewish Blight.

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 11:15 PM
link   
reply to post by sonofliberty1776

Ahhh...interesting. We have that here too...I've seen them on TV...I believe its called "Jersey Shore".

top topics

join