It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Millions of Locusts Invade China 20 million people affected

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 10:16 PM
link   
I recently seen a thread on giant bugs here some more interesting problems also this is happening in Austrailia

Giant swarms of locusts are said to be threatening the food supply for nearly 20 million people in the region.

Xinhua - Large swarms of locusts have laid waste to vast tracts of Northwest China's Xinjiang Uygur autonomous region, with authorities expecting the plague to worsen as the weather heats up.

As the summer heat persists, the situation might still worsen next month. At least 400,000 hectares of pastureland could become infested, he said.

Xinjiang's regional headquarters of locust and rodent control said an estimated 15.7 million hectares of pastureland would suffer from the locust plague this summer. The local governments in Ili and Tacheng have stepped up monitoring of the plague and have launched a pesticide spraying campaign to stop it spreading.

Xinjiang has more than 100 kinds of locusts, one of the major menaces to the health of its grassland. It has a history of using chickens, ducks and other birds to fight the insects

www.sott.net...

www.youtube.com...

edit on 7-7-2011 by BasedGod because: more info

edit on 7-7-2011 by BasedGod because: more info

edit on 7-7-2011 by BasedGod because: website link

edit on 7-7-2011 by BasedGod because: (no reason given)

edit on 7-7-2011 by BasedGod because: take out link

edit on 7-7-2011 by BasedGod because: name change

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Here come the bible-thumpers with their end-time-prophecy-fulfillment raves...

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 10:24 PM
link   
reply to post by BasedGod

As the summer heat persists, the situation might still worsen next month. At least 400,000 hectares of pastureland could become infested, he said.

Xinjiang's regional headquarters of locust and rodent control said an estimated 15.7 million hectares of pastureland would suffer from the locust plague this summer.

I'm just curious why there is 2 different numbers they have estimated and or supposed.

400,000 hectares is a lot different than (maybe this mean't the local area they were referring to? Not sure)

15.7 million hectares.( maybe this mean't all of China's pasture-lands possible affected by Locusts Swarms?)
edit on 7-7-2011 by TheUniverse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 10:28 PM
link   
reply to post by TheUniverse

well that is what the number can be in the summer thats ahead

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 10:29 PM
link   
reply to post by BasedGod

I will not revisit this thread, bible trumpets ahoy! Time to bleed petrol!

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 10:29 PM
link   
I await RT.com claiming it was Obamas fault.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 10:30 PM
link   

“Russia spent 120 million rubles ($4.3 million) to fight locusts this year and protect crops, the Agriculture Ministry said. The money was used to spray the insects on 760,000 hectares (1.88 million acres) of land, the ministry said today on its website. Some 8.6 million hectares were inspected and locusts were found to have landed on 2.2 million hectares. The ministry estimated the potential damage to be as much as 50 billion rubles. ‘Grains did not suffer in Russia,’ Agriculture Minister Yelena Skrynnik said on the department’s website.

midnightwatcher.wordpress.com... s/

The video combined with the china story confused me about the title.
edit on 7-7-2011 by jam321 because: oops

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 10:35 PM
link   
reply to post by incrediblelousminds

Yes Obama is to blame

edit on 7-7-2011 by BasedGod because: emotion

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 10:42 PM
link   
So.........

A large food supply is invading and destroying their food supply?

Eat the damn locusts !!

They most likely hare more nutritious and protein filled than the crops the locusts are eating.....

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 10:43 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

hah thanks for the tip

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 10:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by deanGI5
Here come the bible-thumpers with their end-time-prophecy-fulfillment raves...

All I see are a bunch of atheists here bashing Christians. Ironic, isn't it?

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 11:55 PM
link   
reply to post by SavedOne

It is indeed ironic. It's like being in a classroom, and the second a teacher mentions "locusts", you can hear a kid in the back yelling, "Here comes the Bible thumbers!" The teacher tells him to be quiet, but he just keeps on shouting at the top of his lungs, and when a Christian does try to defend himself, the kid responds by saying, "I'm outta here, these religious nutjobs are too much
"

There are some intelligent Atheists, but for the most part, they are as ignorant as the religious folk who pile in droves every Saturday or Sunday to listen to a preacher talk about things for 2-5 hours just to make themselves feel better.

I'm not sure how related this is to the topic, but I saw a large group of very tiny flies flying around on Monday. They were just hovering over the grass. It was really cool since I never got up to one so close before. When I was there again on Wednesday, I found another one (it might have been the same one, who knows). I'd hate to have a swarm of bugs surround my head, that's for sure.

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 12:15 AM
link   
Ummm,they eat locust.They consider them a delicousy(spelling?).But I take your point OP.Australia was threatened with locusts but nothing came off it.
edit on 8-7-2011 by 13th Zodiac because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 02:55 AM
link   
if panda express starts having an impromptu sale on "firecracker chicken" be weary.

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Russia taking locust threat seriously

www.bloomberg.com...

"Russia spent 120 million rubles ($4.3 million) to fight locusts this year and protect crops, the Agriculture Ministry said.
The money was used to spray the insects on 760,000 hectares (1.88 million acres) of land, the ministry said today on its website. Some 8.6 million hectares were inspected and locusts were found to have landed on 2.2 million hectares.
The ministry estimated the potential damage to be as much as 50 billion rubles."

the dreaded pest that won't go away.

our American version, the Rocky Mountian locust, is apparently extinct, thank God.
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by deanGI5

Gather together many things to eat, and many things will come to eat it.
This is certainly related to plagues/consequences/karma/etc. However, it is easily seen to be a direct result of our great strength and great foolishness rather than a "direct attack from above." We certainly reap what we sow, or in this case, locusts reap what we sow.

I am intrigued by and encouraging of the farming revival that seems to be taking off through permaculture teachers/students. There is much wisdom in gardening and shepherding. These should be the most common jobs for people. Conversely, we currently abuse tricks and shortcuts around the required sacrifice of labor to increase yields and are barely grasping how difficult the consequences are to bear.

It would have been better to grow more slowly than to grow so fast as to destroy the ground, provoke little creatures who mass together, and become so large and lethargic that we are excessively burdensome to sustain.

top topics

join