It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iceland's Hekla volcano 'ready to erupt'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 06:55 AM
link   

Iceland's Hekla volcano 'ready to erupt'

REYKJAVIK — One of Iceland's most feared volcanoes looks ready to erupt, with measurements indicating magma movement, Icelandic experts said Wednesday, raising fears of a new ash cloud halting flights over Europe. The Hekla volcano is close to the ash-spewing Eyjafjoell, which last year caused the world's biggest airspace shut down since World War II, affecting more than 100,000 flights and eight million passengers.

So now we have another volcano that is 'ready' to erupt. The Hekla is a stratovolcano located in Iceland.

Hekla is one of Iceland's most active volcanoes; over 20 eruptions have occurred in and around the volcano since 874. During the Middle Ages, Icelanders called the volcano the "Gateway to Hell.

"The movements around Hekla have been unusual in the last two to three days," University of Iceland geophysicist Pall Einarsson told AFP.

While this might not necessarily mean an immediate blast, "the volcano is ready to erupt," he stressed.

"The mountain has been slowly expanding in the last few years because of magma buildup," he explained.

Source
Source 2
Source 3

Note: This video is from dec 2010. Just added it for some visual aid.

Lets hope for the best.
Any ATSers from Iceland with an update please share. Lets keep an eye on this.

Thanks,
OnlyLove.

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 07:48 AM
link   
We've already noted this in the Volcano Watch Thread

Currently the Volcano is not going to erupt just yet. We know its overdue and ready ,
but its still not erupting. Its highly likely to erupt within a year but its hard to predict.

No need to fear an eruption of Mount Hekla

Radar satellites are among the devices show that Hekla is ready to erupt, says professor of geophysics. People need not fear for the time being.
(...)
Civil Protection has been notified of the situation. It is clear that when Hekla erupt will be short of the reservation, or between half an hour to one and half hour.
(...)
At this stage it is not cause for alarm, according to Paul. He says the situation to be very interesting but there is no reason to be fearful, or the like.

edit on 6/7/2011 by Mystic Technician because: Fixes and article source references

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 07:52 AM
link   
Good info OP

What stood out for me from source was....

After Iceland's last two eruptions, geologists have warned that the country's volcanoes appeared to have entered a more active phase and that more eruptions could be expected, with Hekla believed to be first in line.

So does anyone know how hairy Icelands activity can get ?

I know there was a lot of talk of Katla possibly blowing her stack last year, looks as though the warning is still valid, given the above statement.

edit on 6-7-2011 by solargeddon because: Whoopsie typos

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 08:46 AM
link   
It can get this bad:

The Laki Volcanic System, Iceland
June 8, 1783 - February 1784
Death Toll: 9350

Nearly a year of constant eruptions created a dusty volcanic haze that created massive food shortages. Iceland suffered 9,350 deaths mostly due to starvation.

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Utopian
It can get this bad:

The Laki Volcanic System, Iceland
June 8, 1783 - February 1784
Death Toll: 9350

Nearly a year of constant eruptions created a dusty volcanic haze that created massive food shortages. Iceland suffered 9,350 deaths mostly due to starvation.

Thanks

By the way loving the irony, between your name, and the posting

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Hm... I will be stopping in Iceland on my flight to Germany in about 3 weeks, I hope it doesn't end up like last winter when (coincidentally), I ended up stuck in Stockholm. While at the airport, I meat a man who had been stuck at the same airport for 3 days...

But I guess I am drifting a little further away from the topic.

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Utopian

Last time Hekla erupted (2000) it was more like the eruption of Grimsvötn in may this year.

Hekla is similar in size to Eyjafjallajökull ,although it is different in volcanic activity.

Hekla on a map
edit on 6/7/2011 by Mystic Technician because: Fixes for clarifications

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Well we knew this was coming ever since they rejected the international banksters
But on a serious note stay safe and best of luck

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mystic Technician
We've already noted this in the Volcano Watch Thread

Currently the Volcano is not going to erupt just yet. We know its overdue and ready ,
but its still not erupting. Its highly likely to erupt within a year but its hard to predict.

No need to fear an eruption of Mount Hekla

Radar satellites are among the devices show that Hekla is ready to erupt, says professor of geophysics. People need not fear for the time being.
(...)
Civil Protection has been notified of the situation. It is clear that when Hekla erupt will be short of the reservation, or between half an hour to one and half hour.
(...)
At this stage it is not cause for alarm, according to Paul. He says the situation to be very interesting but there is no reason to be fearful, or the like.

edit on 6/7/2011 by Mystic Technician because: Fixes and article source references

What does your signiture say?

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 07:53 AM
link   
Everyone should keep an eye on this.

Sounds like a big one coming.

Live Webcam
www.ruv.is...
edit on 7/7/11 by EnigmaAgent because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Definitely watching this one too.

new topics

top topics

join