It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The £45 painting that could be a long-lost £120m Leonardo worth £120million

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 04:45 PM
link   

The £45 painting that could be a long-lost £120m Leonardo worth £120million

[url=http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2010309/Leonardo-Da-Vinci-Is-long-lost-120m-Salvator-Mundi-painting-authentic.html]www.dailymail.co.uk[/u rl]

A long-lost painting by Leonardo Da Vinci said to be worth more than £120 million was today at the centre of a mystery worthy of a Dan Brown thriller.
Experts involved in authenticating the work have been sworn to secrecy and asked not to speak about the find while the National Gallery in London - where the painting is due to be displayed later this year - also refused to comment.
The oil on wood panel painting, Salvator Mundi or 'Saviour of the World', depicts Christ with his right hand raised in blessing and his left hand holding a globe and measures 26" by 18.5".

Read more: http
(visit the link for the full news article)

www.dailymail.co.uk...
edit on Fri Jul 1 2011 by DontTreadOnMe because: link removed from title

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 04:45 PM
link   

'Saviour of the World' by DaVinci?

This painting is reportedly due to be authenticated as an original Davinci painting with a stunning value of $180 MILLION USD!

In itself this is absolutely astounding considering the article reports it was sold for only $70 bucks in 1958 assumed to be a work by a student of the main man.

So the discovery and outrageous price tag aside, what strikes me most about the image is the facial similarity to the Mona Lisa. A very androgenous feature set on this painting as that. For me this painting confirms that DaVinci himself was the model for both paintings i.e. they are both self portraits at heart.

I searched and could not find this news on ATS and am sure there will be a lot of people interested in seeing the above picture. I love the discovery because of the facial similarities to the ML as said, but I want to hear other opinions on the find.

[url=http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2010309/Leonardo-Da-Vinci-Is-long-lost-120m-Salvator-Mundi-painting-authentic.html]www.dailymail.co.uk[/u rl]
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mona Lisa face close up link

news article from the daily =http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2010309/Leonardo-Da-Vinci-Is-long-lost-120m-Salvator-Mundi-painting-authentic.html]mail
edi t on 1-7-2011 by spacedonk because: (no reason given)

edit on 1-7-2011 by spacedonk because: (no reason given)

edit on 1-7-2011 by spacedonk because: (no reason given)

edit on 1-7-2011 by spacedonk because: my god having utter nightmare with formatting!!!

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Great find. It really does look like a Da Vinci, interesting timing for this lost treasure to be found.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Amazing! I hope it is! Personally, the robes look a little off, but depending on when DaVinci may have painted it, this could be explained by simple practice

Great find op

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by WeMoveUnseen

I keep meaning to write a thread about all the things that keep being 'discovered' and what discoveries we can expect over the next 50 years and the ones we would like to be 'discovered'. Will get around to it one day

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 04:57 PM
link   
going by that picture i would hazard a guess that jesus was actually a women

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 05:01 PM
link   
This is indeed a great find.

I happen to be a very huge fan of Da Vinci.

However, I do not think this or the Mona Lisa were self portraits.

IF you compare it to the later self portrait if himself besides the aging there are many differences.

I personally think that the face he tends to paint ie Mona Lisa and this picture in the OP are of his Father
Piero. When he was younger.

People have often stated that The Mona Lisa is a self portrait but he was raised at first by his father as his mother was a homeless type person. So he would of seen his Father as both the Male and Female role of Mother and Father hence the slightly feminine features!

edit on 1-7-2011 by TheButcher23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 05:02 PM
link   
When my sister was in University in England, one of her classmates bought a paining "in the style of a Constable" for $5 at a yard sale.

He sold it for $850,000 three months later. It WAS a Constable.

Translate the $ sign to a pound sign - I don't have one on my keyboard

edit on 1-7-2011 by babybunnies because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 05:09 PM
link   
reply to post by TheButcher23

Fair point, in that case I adjust my thinking to say that the subject of the two paintings looks to be modeled on the same individual. We will never likely know definitively the actual answer but you make a good case for his father. If you look at the lines of the bridge of the nose, the nose, the chin, albeit the angle of the two subjects faces is slightly different, i think the similarities are too close for it not to be the same subject - whoever it was.

I am no art scholar, although studied a little History of Art at school and almost 'felt' immediately that this was by daVinci, we will know for sure later this year when the exhibition hits London.

WOW at the constable story!

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 05:53 PM
link   
reply to post by spacedonk

This doesn't look like the ML at all to me. The eyes in this painting are not perfectly symmetrical as they are in the ML, the shading around the eyes is much different, and the hands are so much better in this painting. While the Mona Lisa is beautiful and exudes an air of peacefulness, this painting exudes power. If I were to have to choose between the two I pick this painting over ML anyday. It's beautiful!

I'm not convinced it's a Da Vinci though...

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by spacedonk
If you look at the lines of the bridge of the nose, the nose, the chin, albeit the angle of the two subjects faces is slightly different, i think the similarities are too close for it not to be the same subject - whoever it was.

Actually, it's the lines of the nose down to the tip of the nose that makes me think it's NOT the same subject. This subject has a longer face and much more abrupt eyebrow. The ML has very soft flowing lines, this one is abrupt.

But, like you said, we will probably never know...

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by spacedonk

Today professor Marani said: 'We have been asked to keep this a secret and not say anything.

'The owners are very keen to keep the news quiet, they don't want it getting out.

I bet they don't...I wonder if the person who sold it to them will believe them that they had no idea about it's true worth. Surely even a painting by one of his students would be worth more than 40 quid! I feel a law suit coming on...!

Lovely though, and I hope that the National gets to display it at some point so the rest of the world can see it (for free!). I'd be interested in seeing the detail of the globe, not sure what is going on in there but it looks suitably intriguing.

Thanks for posting!

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Iamonlyhuman, as I said no student of art, perhaps I am just seeing things I want to

reply to post by KilgoreTrout

Yes the globe does look fascinating and also bang on for a DaVinci intrigue, can't wait to go see it.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by meatpie40

A bearded woman!! But yeah I see what you mean

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 06:49 PM
link   
This painting looks very different than the resonant Mona Lisa, more like the mechanical antikythera device found in an ancient Greek ship wreck. This would have been super top secret classified technology in the 1400's, I wonder how many of those calculators were made?

en.wikipedia.org...

Do you suppose DaVinci had a his and hers?

I just noticed if you extend a line down through the part in D V's hair through the center of the cross its just a little off.
The rivet points in the center of the cross show up clearer on that side of the line.
edit on 1-7-2011 by Bordon81 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by snowgirl

Originally posted by meatpie40

A bearded woman!! But yeah I see what you mean

He looks to me like a fresh faced youth that is trying to grow a beard to me...I'm sure you chaps must remember what your first attempt at a beard or a tash looked like.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Good stuff, love Da Vinci's paintings, have seen a couple close up in real life and they have this atmosphere around them, hard to describe.

IIRC Da Vinci reused a lot of his old materials, painted over old canvases and the like, perhaps this was a Mona Lisa try-out, or vice versa!

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 10:17 PM
link   
< RANT > art valuation is one of the most idiotic mass delusions known

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 10:46 PM
link   
I think it's beautiful. I like the detail in the hair, the richness of the colours and that globe, which is way cool.

I hope it really is an undiscovered DaVinci. He was one of the most brilliant minds this world has ever known.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 10:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by spacedonk

'Saviour of the World' by DaVinci?

That reminds me of the photo's of the bearded lady at the circus.

So thats either one pretty man, or one ugly lady

Like Iamonlyhuman stated, its nothing like the ML.

But,,, It is an interesting find though and it would be good if this find is more history and art from the hand of Da Vinci.
Goodluck to the owner, i hopes its a 100 million dollar find for them.
edit on 1-7-2011 by meathed because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join