It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Feds won't give assurance on medical pot

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 02:32 AM
link   

Feds won't give assurance on medical pot

www.cbsnews.com

The U.S. Justice Department says that marijuana dispensaries and licensed growers in states with medical marijuana laws could face prosecution for violating federal drug and money-laundering laws.

A week ago, Frank and Rep. Ron Paul, R-Texas, introduced a bill to remove marijuana from the list of federally controlled substances and cede to the states enforcement of laws governing pot.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 02:32 AM
link   
Money laundering now? The feds are just not going to give this one up. Afraid of losing a cash cow, are they? This is all such a sordid affair. There are just too many embarrassing incidents of the US government's own involvement in the drug game. One such example:

On December 20, 1989, the United States invaded Panama as part of Operation Just Cause, which involved 25,000 American troops. Gen. Manuel Noriega, head of the government of Panama, had been giving military assistance to Contra groups in Nicaragua at the request of the U.S. which, in exchange, allowed him to continue his drug trafficking activities, which they had known about since the 1960s.[62][63] When the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) tried to indict Noriega in 1971, the CIA prevented them from doing so.[62] The CIA, which was then directed by future president George H. W. Bush, provided Noriega with hundreds of thousands of dollars per year as payment for his work in Latin America.,[62] When CIA pilot Eugene Hasenfus was shot down over Nicaragua by the Sandinistas, documents aboard the plane revealed many of the CIA's activities in Latin America, and the CIA's connections with Noriega became a public relations "liability" for the U.S. government, which finally allowed the DEA to indict him for drug trafficking, after decades of allowing his drug operations to proceed unchecked.

en.wikipedia.org...

The US just loves to play in the traffic.

www.cbsnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 1-7-2011 by Erongaricuaro because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 02:38 AM
link   
It's been proven that numerous corporations make a profit off the full extent of the prohibition; so it's no surprise that despite making absolutely no sense economically or in terms of personal freedom, the laws will continue. Corporations>>the average human being. It's a sad reality.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 02:42 AM
link   
Yep.

For the last 30 years I would bet that most, if not all, of the USA black ops was funded by drug revenues. Mostly heroin from Vietnam, and coc aine during the Iran/Contra Affair, but of course cannabis would be right up there as well. Crack was literally invented by the CIA.

No way these commodities ever become legal. Too much at stake.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 02:43 AM
link   
Is there more money to be made by filling up the privately owned prisons with non-violent criminals in order to make license plates for $2 an hour, and charge the tax payers between $50,000 & $100,000 through the FED, to imprison these people?

Or.

To allow the growth of a plant which has been proven to have huge medical benefits, which can be grown in your backyard, which will hugely undercut "Big Pharma"

When obtaining money is the goal... the choice is obvious...

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 02:45 AM
link   
There is a simple solution and that is County Sheriffs can prevent the feds from arresting and prosecuting theses folks in thier states. The feds have no jurisdiction in the states. Most of them won't because they will loose federal funds.

One Sherrif might: libertynewsradio.com...

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 02:59 AM
link   
M is to the plant world as the racial slur is to the N word...

I wouldn't even dare call it by any other name.

It is called Cannabis... and the reason I see that propaganda has worked so well, is that people still to this day fixate and call it by all of these negative and irreparable agenda based names and associate this negativity with one of the world's greatest natural resource...

If everyone stopped and called it by its real name then you would find that people's brainwashed views on the plant would not have the effect that they so have deceived the general populace into believing.

This will come to pass... when M is called commonly by the name of Cannabis or Hemp, and is associated WITHOUT the cheech and chong stereotypes (albeit humorous, but demeaning to the relative majority of highly intellectual individuals who have consumed Cannabis and are not complete retards as shown by PROPAGANDISTS etc...

Then GUARANTEED, it will no longer be considered illegal.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 03:06 AM
link   
You know, beer and liquor companies actually have a hand in keeping marijuana illegal because they see it as something that could cut into their profits. So, they actually fund anti-drug campaigns.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 03:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Kamesan

I agree.

I always call it cannabis myself. Unfortunately too many people know it as M and I think it will be impossible to stop these people from calling it that.

But you're right. It's a racially derogatory term.
edit on 1-7-2011 by TheComte because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 03:25 AM
link   
I thought this was like the forbidden subject here at ATS? Everytime I have seen it even mentioned it gets deleted. Kinda silly if you ask me. I don't see the harm in it. People use it for medical uses and I don't see people using cigarettes or alcohol for medical use YET the use of those products are killing off people in record number. Which is WHY I think it should be allowed to be discussed here. IMHO of course!

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 03:30 AM
link   
The legislation being introduced by Paul and Frank to remove ONE substance from the Federal Poo-Poo list is a start, and a good one. If a state decides that they want to allow dispensaries for cannabis, then that's the states call, not the Feds. Now that the toothpaste is out of the tube in many states wrt cannabis, the Fed is pretty much boned in that respect, so take it off the list, and be done with it. Here in Colorado, they have re-done the requirements for running a dispensary to make them much more stringent. So be it. The dipensaries will stay, because docotors will keep writing scripts and patients will keep asking for them. Adults, can chose to visit a liquor store and choose to buy a much more deadly substance and it's all perfectly legal until AFTER you do something stupid while under the influence! Cannabis should be the same, let the people choose, and they have.
Additionally, the state of Colorado is now trying to determine what level of THC in the bloodstream will warrant that a person is "impaired". Good job state of Colorado. That's the way to handle it. Again let adults choose for themselves, and move on to more pressing issues. And tell the Fed to pack sand while your at it ! ! ! !!

edit on 1-7-2011 by CosmosKid because: spelling

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 04:04 AM
link   
Sheriffs should protect their communities from the scummy feds trying to destroy state rights.

STAY THE HELL IN WASHINGTON, FEDS... or BE ARRESTED.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 04:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by ztruthseeker

To allow the growth of a plant which has been proven to have huge medical benefits, which can be grown in your backyard, which will hugely undercut "Big Pharma"

The textile industry (and as another post above pointed out, the alcohol industry) is pushing back hard against legalization as well. Do cotton producers want to compete with a hemp clothing industry? Do paper manufacturers want similar competition?

The answer is a resounding "hell no". And, as we all know, corporate interests supercede the will & benefit of the people; not only where government policy is concerned--both in law and in the "education" system--but also in manipulating (suppressing) public discourse through control of the media.

"Drugs are bad, mm'k?"

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 05:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Erongaricuaro

They will all get what they deserve eventually. Every large empire has fallen before. And who will rush to aid these scumbags then?

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by daynight42
reply to post by Erongaricuaro

They will all get what they deserve eventually. Every large empire has fallen before. And who will rush to aid these scumbags then?

Seems extreme but I really feel it may come to that. Government has a choice to make, do they remain loyal to their corporate sponsors' economic interests or do they provide a government that gives heed to the interest of its people?

It is no a matter of protecting its people from the "dangers of drugs", there is already so many instances that refute that high-road claim. Pot has shown itself to be rather benign as a recreational drug, beneficial as a medicine, and there are other evidences it life-enhancing, life-extending, anti-carcinogenic benefits. By comparison alcohol is a very dangerous drug yet it is the grand entryway into people's acceptance of recreational drug use as an institution, a tradition, and a way-of-life. It's always Miller Time.

Despite what we know, despite what we do, and despite what many, many people want the government does not want to give an inch and continues to influence and enforce a global policy that to this day keeps cannabis banned world-wide. At best, anywhere it is permitted it is only granted limited tolerance at best. If even one country were to outright ignore the ban and normalize hemp as it were one hundred years ago the drug economy with its inflated prices would fall and a cash cow would be slaughtered.

It is now a matter of the "will of the people" vs. the tyranny of corporate government. Someday soon there will be a clash. Fortunately a door of sanity has been opened and this forbidden topic is being openly discussed for the first time among powerful people and world leaders - www.abovetopsecret.com...

Government has choices to make, do the right thing or continue the scam. Which choice they will make remains to be seen but I have no doubts those options are being studied. The US has much less economic and political clout than just a half a decade ago. They may be facing the reality that they can no longer subject the world to their economic whims and will have to concede to this matter in the least objectionable way. They must concede or risk a fight they are more and more likely to lose.

Jack Herer in his book The Emperor Wears No Clothes, "Can pot save the world?" Perhaps so, it looks as though pot may bring the world's oppressive governments to their knees.

edit on 1-7-2011 by Erongaricuaro because: (no reason given)

top topics

join