It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Time

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 10:13 PM
link   
I also believe time is man-made. I prefer to think of it as a sampling of true 'progression'.

I like to compare it to the old 45 record players that were a needle run over a groove and how CDs are now just 'bit' samples of audio. The record is a far more accurate representation of what was recorded (with a seamless waveform), it was only the fault of the needle that the quality was reduced.

Edit: I would like to see a hybrid technology using lasers on a record's surface (the material may have to change though). That would be SOOO COOL!

PTX
edit on 27/6/2011 by Planet teleX because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 11:51 PM
link   
reply to post by mb2591

Time is not light. Light, like all matter and energy, is something that exists in spacetime.

There are some physicists who believe time doesn’t really exist – EthanT has a thread up today about one of them, Julian Barbour.

In Barbour’s theorizing, time becomes an aspect of space. However, this is pretty esoteric stuff and other physicists hold views opposed to or very different from Barbour’s.

I think we have to distinguish between Time as an absolute entity (Time with a big T) and our perceptions of sequence and duration (time with a little T). They are not the same thing, any more than our perception of brightness is the same thing as light. One is an external reality, the other a mental state.

(WARNING: those who wish to argue that external reality and mental states are the same thing will have to find somebody else to play games with them; futile metaphysical speculation is not my cup of tea.)

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 12:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Astyanax

I was not saying that physically time is light..
So what your saying is theoretically there is a time particle?
edit on 28-6-2011 by mb2591 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 01:26 AM
link   
The illusion of the passage of time

You are always positioned at a point where, all events behind you, that you have ever experienced are virtually set in stone. They cannot be undone, re-experienced.
All events before you exist as probabilities and possibilities at an emergent level of existence, all versions of you, doing all the things you could possibly be doing. These events wait for your decision in the present to gradually solidify to the point where you are experiencing them in the only 'time' which exists. Once a decision is made, most all versions of you doing those other things, virtually collapse...at that point, only to re-emerge at the new point at which your decision has taken you...etc, etc, etc...
The passage of time is experienced as the 'movement' between those decisions, but, as such, there is no movement 'through' time. You are always in the Now. What distinguishes the past, present and future from each other is the way that it is experienced.
The only time in which anything can be modified, changed, affected is the Now. Once these modifications and changes are engaged, the emergent future becomes more solid, unless and until, a decision by you is made to choose another possible and probable pre-emergent future scenario from the point where you are experiencing 'now'.
In effect, no 2 situations can be exactly the same (and should never be treated as such). Situations can be approximated when some, but not all, elements come together to form an image of a situation which looks like another. This is why history does not always repeat itself exactly.
The passage of time as measured by timepieces, extraterrestrial objects, events...act only as signposts, pointing to instances of a past - now, or a future - now.
You can only ever experience one Time. Now.
It is therefore the only 'time' which exists.
Akushla

edit on 28-6-2011 by akushla99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 01:29 AM
link   
reply to post by akushla99

Time is not a thing...it is an experience...
Akushla

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 01:41 AM
link   
reply to post by mb2591

No, I am not. I can’t even see how you came to such a conclusion. Care to explain?

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 01:44 AM
link   
To understand time, you need to contemplate the basics. Time is a measurement. Its not a physical entity.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 07:58 AM
link   

Because right now the thinking in science is there's a theoretical particle for everything that exist.. Example higgs boson, graviton, blah blah blah.. So.. Explain how time exist.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 10:55 PM
link   
reply to post by mb2591

What is the ‘theoretical particle’ for space?

‘Particles’ represent aspects of matter and energy. Spacetime is the frame in which they exist.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 11:09 PM
link   

Are you talking about space the vacuum?

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by mb2591
Are you talking about space the vacuum?

No, I'm talking about Space The Final Frontier.

Sorry, I’ve been driving all day in an ancient Land-Rover and I'm too tired to answer questions like this. Here: Space

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Ok I see the problem.. Space-time.. Space and time are put together in this term to describe the space that everything exist in. Which I guess you could say is true but time does not actually exist it's not like you can stop slow down or speed up time or go toward in time or back in time.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Time exists and it is a thing. Maybe the shadow of the dimension is which existence is embedded.

The words we use to describe Time actually describe what it is not. The spacialization of time is a human behavior. By describing time as having a "before" and an "after", one forces time into three-dimensions which, while convenient in ordering the days and years of our existence, are not times but locations.

Time doesn't actually have a "before" or an "after". It doesn't have a line either. These are the shadows of Time we use to describe what we simply do not have the physical structure to experience.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by mb2591

time does not actually exist it's not like you can stop slow down or speed up time or go toward in time or back in time.

A thing doesn’t exist simply because you cannot manipulate it?

Goodbye Sun, goodbye Moon.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Lol your logic is so flawed it's funny.

I'll let you stay in your box.

ETA if you want to get technical the sun and moon can be "manipulated"
edit on 30-6-2011 by mb2591 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by mike_trivisonno

This is a good explanation but it just proves time doesn't exist the way that most people accept.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   
In spacetime, time is a coordinate. The are 4 coordinates in spacetime to pinpoint a location within it.

Think about having an apoointment with someone. You would need three coordinates to find the location of the appointment in space - say you plan on meeting in an office building on the corner of 3rd St and Imaginary Blvd. There are the first two coordinates, Without one or the other, you wouldn't know how far down 3rd st to go, or where along Imaginary Blvd it was.

You get to the office building, and you remember it's on the 4th floor. That is the thrid coordinate - if you didn't have this, you wouldn't know how high up to go, or whether you should be down in the basement. So that covers the 3 dimensions of space.

You now know the location of your appointment. But now, you NEED time to know when to be there. You can't just show up randomly and expect the person you are meeting to be there. Time is the 4th coordinate to find the appointment. The 4th dimension.

It is a physical coordinate in spacetime to find/pinpoint events.
edit on 30-6-2011 by deanGI5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by mb2591

Lol your logic is so flawed it's funny.

Not my logic; that’s your logic I was paraphrasing.

edit on 30/6/11 by Astyanax because: it was too long.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by mb2591

Time actually can be manipulated and relatively slowed down/sped up. Ever hear of time dilation?

... theoretically, the closer we come to traveling at the speed of light (186,000 miles per second), the more time would appear to slow down for us from the perspective of someone who, in relation to us, was not moving. He called the slowing of time due to motion time dilation.

Imagine you're standing on Earth holding a clock. Your friend is in a rocket zooming past you at nearly 186,000 miles per second. Your friend is also holding a clock. If you could see your friend's clock, you'd notice that it seems to be moving a lot more slowly than yours. Your friend, on the other hand, thinks the clock in the rocket is moving just fine, while your clock on the ground seems to be moving very fast.

Time travel is technically possible... But only forward through time. If you get on a space ship and zoom around out in space going at very high speeds for a few years and then returned to Earth, more time would have gone by on Earth than the time that had gone by for you in your spaceship. Someone the same age as you who stayed on Earth would now be older than you.

I think this kind of proves that time is a real and physical thing. Not just a man-made idea
edit on 30-6-2011 by deanGI5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by deanGI5

Actually pretty sure its wrong.. You can't go forward in time.. The future isnt written down anywhere.. I bet you would look the same age as your buddy when you came back if this was ever tested..

The reason time APPEARS slower as you go faster is because light is taking longer to get to you.
edit on 30-6-2011 by mb2591 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join