It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hollywood Elites ( scums ? ) Duck Iraq War Debate

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2003 @ 12:40 AM
link   
Ten of Hollywood's loudest "anti-war" activists were recently invited to debate public policy and military experts about a war in Iraq, but none of them showed up. Frontiers of Freedom (FOF), a non-profit think tank, sponsored the event at the National Press Club. Invited to appear were George Clooney, Matt Damon, Mike Farrell, Janeane Garofolo, Ethan Hawke, Tim Robbins, Susan Sarandon, Martin Sheen, Barbra Streisand, and Uma Thurman.

More : Link

posted on Mar, 31 2003 @ 12:47 AM
link   
Gee, that really surprises me. I guess they couldn't afford any spare time from their lavish lifestyles.

posted on Mar, 31 2003 @ 12:53 AM
link   
They are actors and actress not debaters. My guess is they didnt go because they cant debate the topic well.

posted on Mar, 31 2003 @ 01:02 AM
link   
They sure claim to know the topic well when they're using the news or their shows to protest.

posted on Mar, 31 2003 @ 01:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by ProudAmerican
They sure claim to know the topic well when they're using the news or their shows to protest.

Well sayed PA !

It show us that they don't have the balls to stand up for their ideas !

posted on Mar, 31 2003 @ 01:21 AM
link   
I disagree. Protesters use catchy slogans made up by the good debaters, speakers, writers, and protest leaders. So the celebritys are just protesters, but dont have any one to come up with "catchy slogans" for them to say. Remeber they have to keep up an aperance. If they go on a show and sound completly dumb and dont know what they are talking about it ruins their reputation.

posted on Mar, 31 2003 @ 01:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by ilovepizza

it ruins their reputation.

Don't worry, it's already done.

Their ruinned their reputation themselves.

posted on Mar, 31 2003 @ 04:50 AM
link   
Those rich scum suckers just don't want thier straight to video movies to be boycotted. What about bunch of overpaid naggers.

posted on Mar, 31 2003 @ 05:46 AM
link   
Let's face it the majority of Hollywood actors are dumb as #e. As said previously, if they turned up to a debate they would come off as being what they really are - STUPID.
Let's face it if they had any real brain power they wouldn't have become actors in the first place. They would have done something worthwhile instead of becoming professional liars.

I was watchingan Australian actor Judy Davis being interviewed on Channel 9's war coverage. Talk about stupid, she actually stated that the US had already started using nukes in Iraq. The reporter responded that the MOAB wasn't a nuclear weapon, to which Judy replied ' well you'll have to check your military experts about that '. DUMB AS #E !!

posted on Mar, 31 2003 @ 05:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by ilovepizza
They are actors and actress not debaters. My guess is they didnt go because they cant debate the topic well.

Oh, that's not totally correct. If it is a friendly talk show that won't ask them hard questions and will allow them to ramble they do ok. As a matter of fact, while Farrell is wrong, he is very articulate and well spoken and even though I disagree with him I find him to be a very engaging debater.

Clooney is one that I'd love to punch in the face. Spoiled little nancy-boy. Oh well, they all can't be Mike Farrells!

posted on Apr, 1 2003 @ 12:17 AM
link   
agreed on mike farrel. he is the only holywood elite that actually has fact to back up his claims. while i don't agree with him at least he puts some research and effort behind him rather than just baseless claims of american imperialism. he also spoke out (not very loudly) when clinton started lobbing missiles at iraq during the lewinski testamony. so at least he hasn't changed his point of view when the president changes.

posted on Apr, 1 2003 @ 07:15 PM
link   
we all are allowed to participate the process no matter what our occupation is. calling someone scum because they're an actor and they happen to be pro-peace (haha, that's what i'm calling it now) is laughable.

not that their opinions sway me one way or the other. to me they are just like the so called christians on TBN, folk using their fame as voice. last time i checked that's allowed in america. if not somebody need to inform Shaq that he can no longer peddlin shoes and electronics.

as for the debate maybe they thought the forum too rightwing.

posted on Apr, 1 2003 @ 07:21 PM
link   
My problem is with moronic, narcissistic people like Jennifer Aniston that feel their opinion is so cerebral, or these "action action heros" who make a living by portraying courageous tough guys with guns and steely resolve criticizing the real job when it really has to be done.
These cretins, like Michael (who's he?) Moore are not even in the same ball park as Mike Farrell, who is articulate and informed. While he doesn't see the world the same was as I do, he has taken the time to think somewhat rationally about it.

posted on Apr, 2 2003 @ 07:47 AM
link   
The rant against Hollywood is ill conceived, for the most part.
Would James Woods show up to debate the American Social Anarchy League? No.
Just because some hard right leaning 'think tank' invites someone with a name to show up does not give their group legitamacy. But, it does make a 'stir' when Hollywood declines the invite, no? All these 'spoiled rich' elites happen to be Citizens lucky enough to catch an ear when they climb up on a soapbox, unlike you or I. Contrast that with a top company CEO ( who proably makes more than them) who puts out a memo to the 5000 employees in his company about how honkey dorey Bush & his administrations actions are. Those folks dissent & it's their job. Us? we turn off the TV if we don't like what some idiot says.
BIG diff, folks.

posted on Apr, 2 2003 @ 07:58 PM
link   
people don;t care about what the actors have to say

posted on Apr, 5 2003 @ 09:22 PM
link   
I am anti-war. The actours that support the anti-war movement are an embarrasment to the community. I am glad that they did not appear for the debate, otherwise this would be devestating.

new topics

top topics

join