It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It is not an offence to abuse police: Officers told not to arrest people who scream obscenities beca

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 10:32 AM
link   
LOL ok i guess this relates, a few years back my wife was getting ready to work. She tells me by and takes off in her car. A minute and i mean a minute later i hear the phone ringing. I answer and its her she is screaming and what not and says she just got in a wreck she was 4 blocks from the house. i mean she was crying screaming she said she could not get out of the car because the lady that hit here smashed she door in.

So now im panicking, i had a 1 year old daughter at the time and i didnt know what to do. In my irrational thinking (i thought since she was so close maybe just maybe i could get her out the car) i got dressed in about 20 seconds grabbed my daughter changed her; wrapped her up and about 2 blankets and started down to the wreck.

at this point its been 3-5 minutes and im starting to her sirens so i panic more & she keeps calling me freaking out.
So i start to run when i get there she was allready out the car in the ambulance. i wait for traffic to go by and walk out to the wreck.

At this point the firemen where all looking at me like who's this guy and what the freak does he want.
As a approach the firemen they said what the # do you want. And i just lost it i started cursing the firemen, the cop and the lady where maybe 2 feet away.

when i started to curse the cop and the chick look at me but say anything. So from there im sure the firemen where like wtf but my mind kinda phased out and i could not stop myself. so i went on the cuss everyone out the cop the lady he ambulence techs and i mean i was really going at it. i really gave it to the lady.

No im not proud of this moment in my life but geez what a morning. they cop was very forgiving they didnt let me ride with her which was half the reason i was mad in the 1st place but he did drive my home.

so thank you mr. cop for not being a jerk and understanding

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Damn right, because we have a freedom of speech.

Respekta for the courts for recognizing our freedoms.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Thing is the cops do have to put up with a lot of foul mouthed thugs who are up in their faces spitting obscenities right at them-you you the sort,they are in all our town centres every weekend,whacked on alchopops and whatever the latest legal high is in favour,generally puking fighting and breaking things.

I say the cops should be allowed to arrest such goons.
If not for the swearing alone-then for the threatening intent.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 11:56 AM
link   
ahaha ok ^^^^^^^

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Silcone Synapse
Thing is the cops do have to put up with a lot of foul mouthed thugs who are up in their faces spitting obscenities right at them-you you the sort,they are in all our town centres every weekend,whacked on alchopops and whatever the latest legal high is in favour,generally puking fighting and breaking things.

If you threaten a cop that's different and obviously they should enforce the law. The issue is that cops seem to make just about any judgement on their perceptions and more so than less its will favor them right or wrong. I don't buy the woe is me crap about drunks and the like, that's part of the job. If cops don't like it, stop whining and find another line of work but don't use it to take out obvious personal frustrations on people. Cab drivers put up with idiots as well but I don't see them beating people senseless. Bottom line is cops need to get it through their fat heads and egos that they are there to enforce the law, not make it up as they go.

brill

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   
This whole idea that cussing is abuse is downright silly anyway. Cussing is in no way abusive. For language to be abusive, there has to be more than profanities.

I find it amazing that it even needs to be stated that a cop should not arrest someone for cussing. I have seen it happen though.

When I was quite a bit younger a friend was charged with assaulting an officer for calling him a 'f*&^%$g idiot'. The charge didnt stick, but still. The cop was an idiot. How is it abuse or assault to state the fact?

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Good!

An insult is not grounds for any kind of action on anyones part.

I cant attack someone for insulting me, a cop should have no right to attack/arrest someone for insulting them either.

I dont see what the big fuss is. This is how it shouldve been from day one, and now we are finally seeing some change! I am grateful! Thank you world, you are seeing it!

Life is beautiful.
edit on 26-6-2011 by BanMePlz because: edited

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 12:47 PM
link   
The police may have some new guidance regarding arrests for offensive language, but no matter what laws/regulations/best practice is ever written down, it will always boil down to the temperament of each individual officer and the person they are dealing with.

After a couple of beatings, unrecorded cell visits and convictions for "threating, abusive, and/or insulting behaviour" in my teens, I learned to pretend to comply, appear calm, non-confrontational and pseudo respectful when interacting with police.
It's proven to be a much more successful option for me over the years as I've been cuffed and un-cuffed (released) on the street after calm discussion, and even released following arrest and an hour or so in the cells with no further action (no formal caution or charges etc) - all because I performed my act well and suppressed my natural emotions of outrage or whatever.

I'm not saying I like the situation, but cops are human beings and some will always nick you if they want to - bad day, damaged ego, whatever - it's always a gamble trying to convince a court that an officers testimony is not true, I certainly won't take the risk of calling a cop a name which will only inflame whichever situation has forced me to be talking to him/her...even if the chosen insult is absolutely appropriate.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by brill

Originally posted by Silcone Synapse

If you threaten a cop that's different and obviously they should enforce the law. The issue is that cops seem to make just about any judgement on their perceptions and more so than less its will favor them right or wrong. I don't buy the woe is me crap about drunks and the like, that's part of the job. If cops don't like it, stop whining and find another line of work but don't use it to take out obvious personal frustrations on people. Cab drivers put up with idiots as well but I don't see them beating people senseless. Bottom line is cops need to get it through their fat heads and egos that they are there to enforce the law, not make it up as they go.

brill

I agree and well said.
Making it up as they go along has been happening-especially with regards to people taking photos in public.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 01:03 PM
link   
First of all, its the daily fail which renders the story meaningless.

Second of all, since when did the filth need a reason to arrest anyone? They will flat out lie if they want you to take you away.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Flyer
First of all, its the daily fail which renders the story meaningless.

Second of all, since when did the filth need a reason to arrest anyone? They will flat out lie if they want you to take you away.

Totally agree there, I remember a copper saying "F it, I'm nicking you anyway because I think you're an argumentative prick who needs to show more respect to me", his mate agreed the same lie and I got a juvenile conviction for 'offensive language' when I hadn't actually used any.

Also, it didn't help my situation when in the back of the police car I shouted something like "well, if I'm getting nicked for a crime I might as well actually do it" followed by an offensive rant in the drivers ear - that silly mistake hurt (a lot) before we finally reached the police station.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 01:31 PM
link   
reply to post by grainofsand

Thats the whole point of this effort. You shouldnt have to go through this kind of crap. False accusations, intimidation, etc.

You should respect and obey the laws(for the most part) and the cops should enforce them. Period. Anything else is not necessary and is a detriment to the delicate system.

If society has any hope of evolving into anything other than anarchy or despotism they need to reform it from the ground up.

Law enforcement, judicial systems, government, all of the foundations of society need to be filtered of corruption.

Easier said than done, but worth the effort if it means preserving a better future.

Otherwise humanity is doomed.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by BanMePlz

Again, I agree completely, but as long as a certain percent of all people will be bad apples, there will always be a certain pecentage to be found in all sections of 'authority'.
I'd suggest it has to be a contributing factor as to why so many cops object to being filmed on camera, it sort of 'clips their wings' a bit.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Its never been illegal to have a go at a police officer.

As the judge stated....they cant claim to be alarmed or harassed etc as its their job!

The whole section 5 is a scam!

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by loves a conspiricy
Its never been illegal to have a go at a police officer.

As the judge stated....they cant claim to be alarmed or harassed etc as its their job!

Laws aside though, the reality has always been about 'evidence' or number/credibility of witnesses compared to officers opposing statements. You need a pretty tight case to convince a magistrate or judge that a copper was lying. And personally I would only think it's fair to 'have a go at a police officer' if I witnessed him/her acting badly, believe it or not but there are some decent ones to be found sometimes, I've met some myself.

Originally posted by loves a conspiricy
The whole section 5 is a scam!

Always has been, just an easy option (which I've experienced myself) of "if in doubt, give it a clout...under section 4, 4A, or 5"

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 03:52 PM
link   
In the u.s. they will just charge you with disturbing the peace or something. People dont understand how not free we are already, it's sickening.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by nerbot

I couldn't imagine anything like this being said in the U.S. and I'm sure even looking at an American cop the wrong way could get you arrested.

You left out the part where they taze and or beat you senseless then arrest you.

All part of our SUBMIT NOW doctrine.
edit on 26-6-2011 by Lysergic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by grainofsand

I'd suggest it has to be a contributing factor as to why so many cops object to being filmed on camera, it sort of 'clips their wings' a bit.

Which is why it was made illegal and now they will arrest you for that too because they cant lie and make up evidence against you.

Ive never even been arrested and I have zero respect for the law. I once witnessed them shooting someone with a bean bag shotgun and they werent interested in asking me what I saw, just that they wanted me to say I heard the warning before they shot.

ie an independent report didnt matter, they just wanted to cover their own arses.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by youareblind
In the u.s. they will just charge you with disturbing the peace or something. People dont understand how not free we are already, it's sickening.

Ironic isnt it, they make up something and charge you with disturbing the peace but when that moron church actually does disturb the peace, they let them get away with it.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 04:19 PM
link   
The Mail article is misleading. It is still an offence to swear in Public, it's just the Fuzz are not likely to nab you for it within the Met Police area now, it seems. That is, of course, assuming the Mail article is accurate and not blown out of all proportion

Originally posted by Senteri
I have never been able to charge someone for yelling mean things at me. Why should police be any different?

Actually, it is an offence under Law so you can make a complaint against a person for swearing at you, if it caused you offence, distress or harrassment. I doubt many people would go so far though.

Originally posted by Senteri
OK it should be a little scary if a ban had to be put in place to stop police from arresting people for swearing at them. Has that been a punishable offense until now in the UK because that is insane.
edit on 26-6-2011 by Senteri because: (no reason given)

Yes, any langauge that is likely to cause offence, distress or harrassment is punishable. Also, it can constitute a breach of the peace as well. It's not insane and even before now, the Police have often been very lenient with people swearing and given many warnings before they are arrested.

Originally posted by studio500
Beleive me it is not that difficult and up to you not them to prove that you didn't do what they said.

Not true. The Police must prove you commited any offence and the onus is on them to prove you did it, not you to prove you didn't, although it would help your case if you could.

If you do get knicked for Section 5 or a breach of the peace, they are likely to offer you a caution and/or a fine the next morning. You are under no obligation to accept this and can take the matter to trial.

There, you may find your peers could be sympathetic, if the situation had mitigating circumstances or you could find yourself with a much harsher punishment if found guilty. The decision is yours as to whether you feel you have a case to argue, I suppose.

Originally posted by Hazz-14
Can you get arrested for pulling the finger/flipping the bird to cops?
In New Zealand you do.

Nope, but if you do it a passing officer you will only attract his attention and invite questions and possibly a search, which may or may not be a bad thing. Keep doing it while he is in front of you and you may find they do knick you.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join