It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Predatory' cigarette marketing to U.S. black youth: study

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 04:00 PM
link   

'Predatory' cigarette marketing to U.S. black youth: study

www.rawstory.com

In places with more black kids, the price of Newports, a top brand of menthols, was lower and more advertisements could be seen.

"For every 10-percentage-point increase in the proportion of African-American students at a school, the proportion of advertisements for menthol cigarettes increased by 5.9 percentage points," said the study.

"Additionally, the odds of an advertised discount for Newport, the leading brand of menthol cigarettes, were 1.5 times greater."
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Black Unemployment Jumps To Depression Levels

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Just more evidence of class warfare.

I can vouch 100% for this study through my experience growing up in many different low income minority neighborhoods, or ghettos.

I went to a school in an all black community, where you would see ads for menthol Cigarettes with ONLY black people happily smoking and a 20% off slogan.

I have also lived in a predominately Hispanic neighborhood where the first day of school I was being taught spanish because the teacher spoke spanish to all the kids in class and they didnt want to waste time by speaking english to the only white kid in class.

around that school i saw more Ads for Marlboro's usually showing cowboys doing their thing, which is popular in the Hispanic community if you ever heard the word term Ranchero's explains it best. and ads for tobacco chew.

you could say they market to white kids just the same with marlboros and camels. this is just not true.

there is a big difference in how white people in a class are being targeted, it seems white kids are divided by wealth.

I grew up dirt poor the few white friends I had on the street were just like any stereotypical lazy minority, easily manipulated through advertising and the competition of the streets that is engrained into us early in life through simple sports games and societies image of how we should act.

my white friends looked no different to me from my black or Hispanic friends most were all addicted to some form of Vice smoking or drinking by 14 and being sexually active - it was the cool thing to do... i dont need to mention tv as helping this slutty frame of mind progress into the mess it is now.

Yes, it seems blacks are being targeted lately but this is just adding to the confusion and FIGHT,

My main point I would like to get across here is this...

CLASS WAR - it is not a war of race or gender its a war of power and money. the more money you have in this world the more power you have (the more debt you owe the longer your prison sentence is)
slowly but surely through superficial meaningless WANTS. we as a human race have been corralled into these generalized groups.
It's a complicated efficient communism where only your groups views and needs matter not the individual.

in the end no one wins except a small percentage, call them what you want TPTB , Elite, bilderberg group, they are there and they do have a majority of control through our paper money, debt and a now outdated form of television media that is just a window to show people how to look act and feel.

one thing I would like to point out for you to take notice to,
when you heard your elders say. "the youth of today they just don't listen or know whats important"

in one form or another I am sure you have heard that in your adult life and growing up. why dont we look at this fact and change it only we as a people coming together can change this way of thinking.

if you ask how do we make the change? well I would start through the daily repetitive programming our kids are getting from the television. any teacher will tell you perfect practice makes perfect. repetition to memory.
So lets stop REPEATING the junk of life and focus on the Positive and progress we are so lacking today.

www.rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by -W1LL

I have known this for years. Through 30+ years in the Army, many Black Americans, smoked Newps and Kools. White and Hispanic folk mostly smoked Marlboros and Winstons. But we still got along.

Check out how many MickeyD's are in poverty level communities nowadays compared to more affluent ones. It's quite large. Their commercials also target the black community as well for the most part. It sounds like a population control conspiracy to me.

This is a very good post, but it drives me nuts that we can’t think beyond skin color. The way I see it is, we are all humans. The good and the bad.

The war on poverty, is literally the war on those who are impoverished.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 04:36 PM
link   
It's not just cigarettes.

Cereals like Reese's Puffs are deliberately targeted at the African American community, which is alarming due to the amount of food dyes and HFCS in this cereal.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

Very well said. you put my thoughts simply

we all get along but are still so easily divided and categorized.
edit on 6/24/2011 by -W1LL because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 04:56 PM
link   
reply to post by -W1LL

I think the effect is on the poor more than specifically black....but those two tend to overlap sometimes.

I am black and I can tell you that many my color do not even consider saving money. Pay check to paycheck, right down to zero. But I also know plenty of white people that do the same.

I once tried convincing a friend that he should buy some silver and explained why. He siomply said: well I can't spend that so why would I buy it?

Ahhh the brainwashed are many and we are few

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skerrako
reply to post by -W1LL

I think the effect is on the poor more than specifically black....but those two tend to overlap sometimes.

I am black and I can tell you that many my color do not even consider saving money. Pay check to paycheck, right down to zero. But I also know plenty of white people that do the same.

I once tried convincing a friend that he should buy some silver and explained why. He siomply said: well I can't spend that so why would I buy it?

Ahhh the brainwashed are many and we are few

I agree its the classes of money and wealth that are effected and targeted.

if I only had the money I told all my family and friends to buy silver when it was at 12$ an ounce a little over a year ago. epic facepalm for no one listened.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by -W1LL
any teacher will tell you perfect practice makes perfect. repetition to memory.
So lets stop REPEATING the junk of life and focus on the Positive and progress we are so lacking today.

There is also a sayiny in the Military that is a bit more gruff we call it the "6 P's."

If I may Mods?

"Proper planning prevents piss poor performance."

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 05:05 PM
link   
reply to post by -W1LL

I feel your pain. I told family quite awhile ago to buy Gold when it was low and later to switch to Silver. Also told them to buy Ford stock when it was $1.34 a share. Only my Dad listened. He's doing quite well now.

The rest are living paycheck to paycheck, and probably hoping they recieve a inheritance. Which they'll probably blow.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 05:19 PM
link   
I remember a law passing forbidding cigarette makers from adding flavors to cigarettes.

Flavors except "Menthol". Because banning menthol would be RACIST.

Unbelievable.
edit on 24-6-2011 by Carseller4 because: 5 second edit rule

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 05:19 PM
link   
All advertising is targeted to some market. If you are IN the market, why are you surpised the advertising is tailored to that market? You wouldn't be a very good advertisor if you tried to market something to a population you knew they didn't like at all. Just look at advertising on the Internet. If you browse around looking for generators, suddenly generator ads are following you around nearly every site you visit. I visited Norwich University's Military History program website a few days ago. Guess what ad follows me around ATS?

All advertising is "predatory" in one sense or another.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 05:27 PM
link   
OK....

So I'm trying to figure out what's negative and/or predatory about this?

People of all races and classes smoke cigarettes.... what does it matter if more Black people smoke Newports, and therefore have more advertising targeted at them for that specific brand?

I really don't understand the issue with this? Doesn't it only make sense to advertise your products to the group that is more likely to consume them?

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by James1982
Doesn't it only make sense to advertise your products to the group that is more likely to consume them?

And that is where the term predatory advertising comes from.

It's simple business economics 101.

Doesn't mean we have to accept it and it should be our job, as a human being to throw light upon it.

I believe that this is one of the true conspiracies and it is right in front of us. But people refuse to see.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

But I'm still not understanding what's bad about this? Why do you want to fight it?

People smoke because they choose to, and once they choose to start, they usually get addicted. This advertising didn't cause people to smoke. This advertising, if it even works, just gets black people to buy a certain brand of cigarettes over another. What's the big deal about that? If they bought camels instead of newports is that somehow better? I don't get the harm here.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 05:52 PM
link   
I smoked Camel Menthols (when I smoked I only smoked menthols and had no idea that menthols were seen as preferable to blacks.. still dont get it to be honest....) ... and worked at an inner city hospital. Id just been hired , was smoking on the patio in back... and learned a new term for "menthol ciggs"... "n-word sticks". Har har har.. Im smoking 'n-word' sticks.. Niiiice, huh? Bad thing is this term was used by a fellow nurse who happened to be black. Ive thought about it over the yrs.. was she feeling me out since Im obviously not white.. and not black either? Was she accustomed to using derogatory terms about herself? Or more llikely, was this just an unconscious manifestation of the push for menthol cigarettes being more appealing to blacks... and specially marketed to them? This was maybe 9 yrs ago.. so its obviously nothing new.

The average Joe class warfare supporters are about to get a real wake up soon. Those who are barely keeping their heads above water with a mortgage on a mcmansion and a new SUV are not "middle class" even though they think it applies. Pretty soon theyre gonna realize we're all "ghetto" because there is no middle class to be all uppity about. RIch vs poor.. king vs peasant.. they just havent figured out they too are the poor peasants. When we realized it and where everything was heading.. I can tell you it sucked.. hard.

Ive been called a racist on here more than once.. and I really dont care anymore. PC is not my strong suit and I hate group-think. Ill tell you how stupid/dangerous some of the things I see in the black community are as well as the whites.. and my own Im most harsh on.
Walk a mile in my shoes and then get back to me. Im not white.. and Im not black.. yet I happen to see things with clean eyes due to straddling 2 cultures and getting crap from both for almost 50 yrs!

Just a side note..

W1ll.... something no one seems to understand or voice out of fear of seeming not PC enough... is that the entitlements and the entitlement mindset have made a new slave class in the US. It crosses all colors and boundaries. There is a new slave master and it is called the federal government who dabbles with the NAACP, the BIA, and other cultural groups. DOnt even get me on La Raza and their recent BS statements. The great white hand doesnt need to help the ghettos, reservations, and barrios.. the people are human beings with good minds and potential... and can take care of their own if given a chance to break out of BS that has been pushed on them by snakes within their own communities. WIth the feds meddling and telling folks what they need and who needs to give it to them... and condoning the targeting of racial groups for marketing of certain products.... has made a complete MESS of things. Complete separation of Americans into colors and classes. The census is a great tool for them it seems and is obviously perverted from its original purpose. You must have a special label to call yourself, a brand of clothing thats YOURS, a type of cigarette, etc. Is it any mystery why a "40 ounce of colt" or a "newport menthol" is seen as a black thing? Its passive segregation cloaked in cultural identification and equality. IMO.. saying that poverty breeds crime is insulting and furthering this agenda. Criminality breeds criminals.. the govt pushing the idea of getting something for nothing breeds criminals. That ideology is set toward the poor communities with a vengence, gets the intended results, and then its fed back to us ass backwards so poverty appears to breed criminality. I know more than a few righteous and wonderful poor folks... who live in and were raised in poverty. Youd not believe the resentment felt when that nice caring "culturally liberal" statement is uttered... yet the do gooders dont even realize they are the true racists and segregationists.

** hands soap box back **

edit on 24-6-2011 by Advantage because: Post is too long! I edited some for another discussion

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Yeah Im sick of predatory marketting too.

Sick of seeing white girls with the obligatory black 'cool' boyfriend and all the white boys being the 'stupid geeky types' - makes me sick this advertising predatation to fit their desired stereotypes.

My worsds are: marketting folks, leave us the fvck alone and get out of our lives. I don't want to be told what to think nor do I want my children growing up thinking 'black boyfriend cool, white boyfriend boring and geeky'.

I ant her to make her own mind up for herself - and as for all this slutty whore clothing coming out (padded bras and pole dancing sets for 6 year olds) it makes me livid.

Rant over.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 06:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Advantage

you said it most wisely..

I wish I could put that side note in my Avy. i will just refer people who try to debate about causes to your post,

you are completely right there is a feeling that seems to be pushed on those who dont want to work or who cant work, if you sign up for welfare or foodstamp assistance and qualify its almost like they want you stuck under their support and when you are they have totally control over your life and are always monitoring what you are doing

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by James1982

It's a cultural thing. I know people of all colors who smoke various brands. But I do remember one cat back in the 90’s, who asked another, why he smoked Marlboros? “Them’s white folk smokes.” he said.

At the time, I wondered, “WTF? Nicotine is nicotine.”

Let’s list just a few.

Blacks have a higher degree of diabetes than anyone else.

Lower educational standards (Crappier schools)

A high teenage pregnancy rate and a higher abortion rate than average.

They also have the highest ethnic high school dropout rate and the highest prison population rate on national average.

You can go on and on.

If you are asking why don’t they do something about it? I am clueless with that regard. That’s for them to figure out. The data is out there.

Actually, I do have a idea and it concernes politics, but that is off topic. But it still boils down to the community to fix themselves.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Advantage

When the SHTF, I volunteer to head up your PSD (Personnal Security Detachment) to keep you and yours safe. I'll have nothing better to do, might as well be useful.

You sound like you have a good head on your shoulders and the world needs more like that. You could very well be the future leader of your community.

Keep on keeping on!

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by -W1LL

I wish I could put that side note in my Avy. i will just refer people who try to debate about causes to your post,

So I should expect even more unwanted nasty u2u's in the near future??
Have at it.. they cant shank me on a message board, so I can be internet tough!!

Hey W1ll... for a chuckle.. the family and I were walking down Main St in town and a group of black kids was standing there. Im obviously not white or black, but my husband is white.. and out of our kids 2 look white and one looks like me. One of the black kids looks right at me and calls me a "cracker".
I look at him with a big smile and said. " you think Im a cracker?? Thats so effin' COOL!!! " I doubt he even got my meaning. Cracked the husband up though..

top topics

<<   2 >>

join