It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

PA school district passes huge cuts and raises taxes, post your local cuts please.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 01:39 PM
link   
www.fox43.com...

"The board decided to cut 150 staff positions and raise taxes by five percent. The challenge was to close a $25 million hole left behind by the Governor's proposed budget."

"The school board voted 7 to 0 in favor of cutting almost 150 staff members, including 90 teachers. Along with the staffing cuts, the district will lose programs like physical education, art, music and librarians at the elementary levels. Other positions like teacher aides and security staff will be cut as well."

"You can't take 130 teachers out of a district which is roughly 25 percent of the staff and it not have a detrimental effect on the students,"

I was wondering if others could post links to any education cuts in there area. When cuts like this happen in larger areas it gets some media attention, but smaller districts it goes unnoticed except for the people living there. As I was a student in this district, I remember fondly these programs about to be cut. With the amount of staff being cut it will surely lead to larger class sizes and reduced student care.
edit on 23-6-2011 by wiandiii because: added content

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Hey wiandiii, i'm originally from Allentown and if you check the morning call website I believe that Allentown is cutting 165 teachers but hasn't worked out their budget shortfall yet.

join