It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man robs bank for $1 to get medical care in jail

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Man robs bank for $1 to get medical care in jail

www.msnbc.msn.com

59-year-old James Verone handed teller a note and waited for police to arrive.

GASTONIA, N.C. — A Gaston County man robbed a bank and then sat down on the floor to wait for police to arrest him.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 01:14 PM
link   
"(This is the) first time I've ever been in trouble with the law,” James Verone said from the Gaston County Jail on Friday. “I'm sort of a logical person and that was my logic. (That was) what I came up with.”
That is how Verone said he came to the decision to rob the RBC bank on New Hope Road on Thursday, June 9.
He didn’t have a gun and he handed the teller a rather unusual note.

"The note said ‘This is a bank robbery. Please only give me one dollar,’" Verone said.

Then he did the strangest thing of all.

"I started to walk away from the teller, then I went back and said, 'I'll be sitting right over there in the chair waiting for the police," Verone said.

Our new healthcare option... Video embedded inside link.

www.msnbc.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 21-6-2011 by Americanist because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Americanist

It's extremely sad that this man had to take these measures so that he could be taken care of. That said, maybe he's made some bad decisions in his life leading up to his current circumstances. Who knows?

The part I like is that he had the balls to act. He did what he could to get the results he needed. I would much rather my tax dollars go to paying his medical expenses vs. jailing someone over a illegal substance charge.

I was expecting this man to be a loon when I first read the story, but it appears he's quite lucid after all. I would even border on pretty intelligent.

S&F for sharing.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 01:23 PM
link   
The guy probably tried everything else before resorting to this. Not a bad solution if it's your last one, kind of a nonviolent robbery and self-made medical plan. Obamacare on the down-low.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by freakjive

It's extremely sad that this man had to take these measures so that he could be taken care of. That said, maybe he's made some bad decisions in his life leading up to his current circumstances. Who knows?

The part I like is that he had the balls to act. He did what he could to get the results he needed. I would much rather my tax dollars go to paying his medical expenses vs. jailing someone over a illegal substance charge.

I was expecting this man to be a loon when I first read the story, but it appears he's quite lucid after all. I would even border on pretty intelligent.

S&F for sharing.

Truly sad... Especially considering the free prostate examinations and colonoscopies that routinely happen in jail.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 01:26 PM
link   
This robery is also polite

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aleister
The guy probably tried everything else before resorting to this. Not a bad solution if it's your last one, kind of a nonviolent robbery and self-made medical plan. Obamacare on the down-low.

From what I've read even gitmo "detainees" have a standard healthcare plan. Talk about on the down-low...

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Nice plan

Since its his first offense, no weapon and he only stole one dollar, I doubt he will see much jail time.

edit on 21-6-2011 by zorgon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 01:31 PM
link   
reply to post by xavi1000

Damn those child labor laws... Kids just need to work in this country to feed themselves and visit a doctor. It's really a shame teenagers are facing such a tough job market too.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Good sh**.. That's called making a statement.

What a sad situation. I remember when I was living in Colorado, homeless people used to purposely get arrested in order to avoid the cold of winter.

link   

link   

great read thanks for posting

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by My.mind.is.mine
Good sh**.. That's called making a statement.

What a sad situation. I remember when I was living in Colorado, homeless people used to purposely get arrested in order to avoid the cold of winter.

Don't we have charities for that? Oh, I almost forgot... The take in money only to dish out about 1%. Horrible picture you've painted, but I hope more people realize this is reality.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Crying shame the things we do for nothing, sad part is it will take more to process him in the system then it would to take him to the doctor. Crying shame, it is.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon
Nice plan

Since its his first offense, no weapon and he only stole one dollar, I doubt he will see much jail time.

edit on 21-6-2011 by zorgon because: (no reason given)

Double Ditto. You touched all of the critical details of this case. All this guy will be left with is a medical problem and a criminal record.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

yeah the dude should watched the beginning of prison break.

he accomplished nothing.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Americanist
Don't we have charities for that? Oh, I almost forgot... The take in money only to dish out about 1%. Horrible picture you've painted, but I hope more people realize this is reality.

Red cross collected over three billion for relief in Japan... to date very little of that money has reached those who need it

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Americanist

Originally posted by freakjive

S&F for sharing.

Truly sad... Especially considering the free prostate examinations and colonoscopies that routinely happen in jail.

have you ever even been to jail?

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   

edit on 21-6-2011 by Lysergic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon
Red cross collected over three billion for relief in Japan... to date very little of that money has reached those who need it

I read someplace last year that only 24% of what was collected for Haiti has been seen as well.

ETA: The man is a thief!
He should be convicted and given the chair!
[Dentist Chair] and a complete physical too

edit on 21-6-2011 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join