It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Great News!!: Congress bans FDA from approving genetically modified fish

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+40 more 
posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Congress bans FDA from approving genetically modified fish

www.dailymail.co.uk

Genetically modified salmon will not go on sale in the U.S.

The House of Congress has voted to ban the Food and Drug Administration from passing the fish fit for human consumption.

The FDA had said last year that they thought the fish, which grows twice as fast as normal salmon, appeared to be safe.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.responsibletechnology.org
www.facebook.com
www.naturalnews.com
edit on 16-6-2011 by EthanT because: (no reason given)

+13 more 
posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 09:15 PM
link   
This may not sound like a big deal, but it really is.

In the US, there has been very little progress made with stopping the spread of GMOs and GM food.

Although a small step, it IS a step in the right direction.

Support the IRT and others, so that we can make more progress to getting this stuff labeled at the least, and outlawed at best!

Also, from naturalnews:

"For months, the FDA has seemed on the verge of approving GM salmon. They claim it's no different than regular salmon and has zero health risks. This is a lie, of course: The FDA has no idea what the long-term health effects are from genetically modified salmon (or GM foods of any other kind, actually), and the pending approval of GM salmon was actually the result of criminal corruption inside the FDA which now favors big corporate interests instead of the health and safety American people."

www.dailymail.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

+2 more 
posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 09:27 PM
link   
It's a huge deal, thanks for sharing the info. Congress does something right. Now if we can only get all the GMO crap out of our food supply.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Kali74

Sure thing! I just hope the Senate follows through on this. Only the House has voted so far. But, even that is an accomplishment, at this point.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Wow great news! Maybe Congress themselves are getting sick of the fake food as well? Hopefully this is so and more of the franken-foods will be taken off the shelves.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 09:43 PM
link   
that sucks. i was looking forward to tasteless 800lb salmon fillets pumped full of hormones.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Great news indeed!

Anything that is genetically modified should not be allowed for consumption for the simple reason that playing with nature and basing small test samples on superficial, short-term results is definitely risky and probably stupid.

If you can't afford natural food that means your either lazy or spending too much money elsewhere.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 09:46 PM
link   
It is wonderful news and I hope Obama doesn't over turn the decision as he did with the beets, but I still can't cheer just yet.
I believe the radiation from Japan is going to cause more genetic modifications within sea life than anything we could do in the labs.
Don't forget to take your kelp!

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 10:07 PM
link   
reply to post by EthanT

The reality is the gene modified fish farmer lobby didn't pay the govenrment enough money to pass the laws protecting them. They will eventually. This has absolutely nothing to do with anybody's health.

CJ

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Thanks much for sharing...
Yes great news not only because it would make way for future use of genetically modified animals as food. That if it was allowed, companies would not even have to disclose on what salmon is modified.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by ColoradoJens
reply to post by EthanT

The reality is the gene modified fish farmer lobby didn't pay the govenrment enough money to pass the laws protecting them. They will eventually. This has absolutely nothing to do with anybody's health.

CJ

Gawd, I didn't even think about that! I think all the grains/veggies are mostly pushed by Monsantos, who has a ton of money. I'll have to look into the source of the GM salmon.

Good point and thanks for sharing!

Regardless, though ... more awareness raised and any potential ban on GM foods is still a good thing

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Ahhh those of you that eat salmon
have been most likely eating it for a long time.
It has been for sale for a lone time in grocery stores and restaurants
It called farm raised salmon(color added)
edit on 16-6-2011 by Lil Drummerboy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 10:57 PM
link   
LOOK im as much for the ats cause as yall but goddamn it its just food ,is it bad for them to increase the food quantity available to the mass's come on ats what has gmo's ever done to harm us really!! i dont tell me what could happen

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by ColoradoJens
reply to post by EthanT

CJ

of course its not gonna aid health but its going to relieve pressure on native salmon stock

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 11:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by randomname
that sucks. i was looking forward to tasteless 800lb salmon fillets pumped full of hormones.

well we already have those in fruits, like the giant oversized strawberries they sell

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 11:06 PM
link   
reply to post by zuluAttack

No it won't.

CJ

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 11:12 PM
link   
i do not trust the FDA to make sound decisions for the people of the USA, it's as simple as that

we must all make our own effort to eat food that safe, this must be each persons effort

glad you posted this because i also beleive we should help each other in gaining knowledge in this subject
edit on 6/16/2011 by indigothefish because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 11:21 PM
link   
reply to post by EthanT

I don't view this as good news. All this does is reinforce a broken system. Instead of relying on the government to tell us what is and isn't health, we should be relying on independent consumer groups and consumer reporting groups decide whats good for us. People's faith in government to ban extremely unhealthy foods is severely misplaced. People need to stop assuming that because something is in a grocery store and looks good... it is therefore safe and ethical to buy.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 04:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by zuluAttack
LOOK im as much for the ats cause as yall but goddamn it its just food ,is it bad for them to increase the food quantity available to the mass's come on ats what has gmo's ever done to harm us really!! i dont tell me what could happen

1. Tests show that GM foods are unhealthy:

www.seedsofdeception.com...
www.responsibletechnology.org...
www.tbyil.com...
www.projectcensored.org...
eatlocalguide.com...
www.rawpeople.com...
www.responsibletechnology.org...
www.livestrong.com...
www.naturalhealthstrategies.com...
www.organicconsumers.org...
www.naturalgrocers.com...
www.naturalnews.com...

And that's just a small percentage of sites I found.

2. There is no need to increase food production on this planet. Currently supermarkets throw out hundreds of thousands of tons of food a month - because We distribute by profit and not by need.

So... I hope I addressed well the comment, "its just food." No. No it's not. It's not food at all.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 04:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by civilchallenger
reply to post by EthanT

I don't view this as good news. All this does is reinforce a broken system. Instead of relying on the government to tell us what is and isn't health, we should be relying on independent consumer groups and consumer reporting groups decide whats good for us. People's faith in government to ban extremely unhealthy foods is severely misplaced. People need to stop assuming that because something is in a grocery store and looks good... it is therefore safe and ethical to buy.

That all may be true and in a perfect world that would work fine. But HOW does a consumer have a clue with nothing labeled? THAT would be the job of the government, ensuring the LABELS give Us the data We need to make healthy choices.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join