It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thousands Stage Anti-Nuclear Protests in Tokyo

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Protesters in Tokyo have staged mass demonstrations against the use of atomic power just three months after a powerful earthquake and tsunami triggered one of the world's worst nuclear disasters.

Crowds of people banging drums and shouting anti-nuclear slogans poured through the streets of the capital and descended on the head offices of Tokyo Electric Power Co, which operates the stricken Fukushima Dai-ichi nuclear plant.

Thousands stage anti-nuclear protests in Tokyo as reports reveal radiation leaks from stricken plant are worse than thought.

Good for them. I was just reading other articles how radiation around a Fukishima school is 10 times as much as the meltdown at Chernobyl.

Not to mention the soil is now poisoned and the government had been hiding reports as to the extent of the disaster.

The protests are a mix between the cover up and to stop future use of such harmful power.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 12:47 PM
link   
what good will the protests do? i always thought that the japanese people were suppose to be smart right? so wouldnt you think that they shoulda realized this months ago? i think its gonna be too little too late...i feel bad for those people but maybe they shoulda stopped to think that maybe they shouldnt trust the government...especially when it comes to things like the reactor accident...

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Sometimes it takes a wake-up call for people to stand up.

They might not be able to change the past with what happened but they are trying to change the future as well as to let the government know that the citizens now know what they covered up... and that they're angry.

Better than sitting around saying, 'Thank you, Sir. May I have another?'

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 01:08 PM
link   
I think they could also pick a point in time where they all turn off the power. Where for a whole day they use no power provided by the villains who have killed Japan. If the bottom dollar is what makes them tick, then smash them where it counts.

It is good to see the Spiritual Monks heading this procession, kind of brings it home as to the severity of the situation.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 01:32 PM
link   
General Electric is responsible for selling a product that is killing and maiming humans on an untold scale. General Electric's product has permanently destroyed the environment in Japan and perhaps the world by poisoning our oceans. General Electric said these reactors were safe. Now I am sure that General Electric only wanted to manufacture a product that generates electricity. However GE has a responsibility to produce safe products.

Bravo to the Japanese people for speaking out!

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Leo Strauss
General Electric said these reactors were safe.
I don't want to come across as defending the reactors because they do seem to be a substandard design, especially the inadequate containment.

But there are other factors of the implementation that aren't part of the GE design, such as the height the tsunami wall was built to. Had the tsunami wall been built higher, the reactor might have been damaged slightly by the earthquake but might not have melted down. Also the poor location of the backup generators and pumps was probably TEPCO's choice, not GEs, though it's hard to think of a place safe from a 10-15 meter tsunami, but it's definitely not safest in the basement. They really needed a special bunker for the backup power.

And TEPCO's own scientists forewarned about the possibility of this happening, and TEPCO ignored its own people.

And TEPCO's action, (or lackof action) since the disaster, hasn't been up to par.

I'm glad to see the protesters speaking up.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 07:01 PM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

Trust me, the Daily Mail is NOT a reputable source of good information. Especially while they like the other English Newspapers and global media have remained silent for 2 months about it. The article quotes "2 workers have been exposed to twice the dose."

Now then put it in this perspective : Its all gone: reactors, spent fuel, everything. Blown to smithereens.

Watch this in case you dont quite understand. It is what you could call a release of radiation from which many are either dead or dying and they were not evacuated in time. The day after...

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 08:00 PM
link   
reply to post by gdaub23

These protesters in Japan are protesting there concern in the only practical way open to them. They can protest or lie on the couch and do nothing, faced with that choice what would you do?

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 08:08 PM
link   
As opposed to protesting, I fear that those poor people should be fleeing.

I truly think that Japan, as a nation, is over.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 08:14 PM
link   
What a waste of time! and far to late in the day for protests.Japan is covered in radiation now they should have shown more intrest when the thing first blew its top.The Japanese are too laid back for their own good.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 09:07 PM
link   
How many of us will be in the same place in the future. Either living close to a poorly designed plant or where they want to build a new plan? I believe a lot of us are going to have to really think about where we stand on this issue. I for one will be marching against.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 11:20 PM
link   
reply to post by paperface

They are the ones who are there, where they live, there options are limited. Soon we will all be facing similar situations. Yes it is pathetic to see them protesting because we know how much good it is going to do them, probably none, but doing that is still better that doing nothing. Our turn will come, what are your plans?

top topics

join