It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

5 EQ's in UK since beginning May

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   
No EQs in UK in may or anytime recently. Perhaps minor earth tremors, but nothing of note. I monitor the news closely, and am fairly local to stoke, and this is the first i've heard.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by angelchemuel

Its the oil shale drillers causing the last few tremors maybe.
They have had to stop fracking for oil,as this is suspected of causing tremors,although they don't have proof yet:

LONDON, June 1 (Reuters) - British firm Cuadrilla Resources has suspended exploration for shale gas -- natural gas trapped in rock formations -- while scientists study whether it caused a small earthquake near a drill site in northwest England.
Work is likely to stop for weeks while experts from Keele University, the British Geological Survey (BGS) and the government Department of Energy and Climate Change (DECC) analyse monitoring data from the site at Weeton in Lancashire, around six miles (9.7 km) from Blackpool, the company said.
The extraction of shale gas, also known as fracking or fracing, involves injecting high-pressure water, sand and chemicals into shale rock formations.
Some critics have raised concerns about its impact on the environment. "We take our responsibilities very seriously and that is why we have stopped fracing operations to share information and consult with the relevant authorities and other experts," Mark Miller, CEO of Cuadrilla Resources, said in a statement on Tuesday.
Last week, a British parliamentary committee concluded there was no need to ban shale gas exploration in Britain as there was no direct evidence to suggest it was harmful to the environment.

af.reuters.com...

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   
OP, I'd be interested to know what information you're basing this on?

Do you have a link you could share which allows comparison of the current year to previous years? Thanks.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by sinthia
No EQs in UK in may or anytime recently. Perhaps minor earth tremors, but nothing of note. I monitor the news closely, and am fairly local to stoke, and this is the first i've heard.

Not all Earthquakes will be reported on the news. Only if its felt by many people or causes damage.

If you check the BGS you will see there have been infact 6 small Earthquakes since the begining of May.

And if you check the images in my previous post you will see how many Earthquakes we have had over March and April. The images are taken from the BGS site.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 06:33 AM
link   
I do watch BGS too. Here is a link to a posting I started a while back and PuterMan helped out with it.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 06:35 AM
link   
reply to post by AnotherYOU

Thank you AnotherYOU. I am glad I am not the only one thinking along these lines. I am trying to find a map of our fault lines so I can make a comparative study with EQ events, weather patterns, what goes off in europe/Iceland etc.

Rainbows
jane

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 06:37 AM
link   
reply to post by keldas

Thank you keldas. Also we forget that Scotand used to be south f the equator! God forbid this polar shift stuff!

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 06:42 AM
link   
reply to post by RUDDD
[more

It is because of the BGS site that I have posted my previous thread and this one. I have noticed over the last 2 weeks or so that the seismograms are not 'flatlining' as they used to. Sometimes it's not the size of the 'squiggles' that's important, it's the fact they are happening at all, and that they do look like somebody has drawn a line with an old wooden ruler.

Just saying.

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 06:46 AM
link   
reply to post by LunaStarr

EXCELLENT! Here is another aspect we have to take into consideration. Given it's geographic location, maybe this would explain some of the recent activity (albeit small) on seismograms in that area.

rainbows
Jane

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 06:46 AM
link   
I'm sat in Stoke & the only rumbling I've noticed has come from my two year old stomping around.

I've felt three locally in my 37 years. First at school, purely due to open cast blasting, second a mild tremor about 11 years ago and more recently the one most folks felt 2008 I think It was.
Bare in mind though just how many mine shafts we have around here, even sink holes have been reported in the past & just up the road we have a methane build up on private land that's a bit of a silent hillesque no - go zone.
Longton would be the site of the old Florence / Hem heath Colliery.

edit on 6-6-2011 by Suspiria because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-6-2011 by Suspiria because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 06:57 AM
link   
never mind
edit on 6-6-2011 by yzzyUK because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by iWokeUp
reply to post by solargeddon

Just because you dont feel them don't mean they dont happen. I live in the Peak district and we had one a few years back in the early hours of the morning, and yes we felt it.
It was a 5.3, so that is pretty big !!

People in the UK are so asleep it grinds my gears, this planet is very unhappy !!

It made pictures fall of the wall and our bathroom stuff crashed to the floor...its a very strange and scary feeling !

Peak District Earthquake news link

Grind your gears all you like, hell throw all your toy's out the pram to boot, still doesn't change the fact that, it is perfectly possible to be unaware of Britains seismicity, if you have lived in an area of Britain that has never been privy to an earthquake !

Obviously I have become aware in recent years, due to the publicised ones, regardless I am one of those people who just didn't know before hand, and to be fair, still haven't felt the earth move to this day, so if it wasn't for verification from the media, and official records, I would be none the wiser.

Sorry you experienced one, maybe one day I will too, until then, understand I am not entirely uninitiated to the facts, just slightly later at acquiring them, the quake in question occurred in 2008, before that the last biggie so to speak was 25 years ago, tell me how aware do you think I should have been at age 5 ?

Regards

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 08:04 AM
link   
and another, today Thursday 9th june

hisz.rsoe.hu...

Rainbows
jane

top topics

<< 1   >>

join