It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Am I my brain?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 10:25 PM
link   
I heard a story once a bout a guy who had to have a new liver or kidney or something along those lines

He got a transplant and started to acquire new habits

He suddenly liked food he previosuly did not. He craved things and desired to do certain activities that he never had cared for in the past.

Perplexed by this, he researched the person he had gotten the transplant from. To his suprise, he had acquired all of these traits from that person.

So in a way, losing a body part will not stop you from functioning. However, you are definitely losing a part of yourself just not a vital part.

For examplel, is a car no longer a car without a roof, or the windows....you could even take the wheels away and still argue it is a car but just can't move

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 10:35 PM
link   
Ask yourselves, how is this possible, how can these electrical impulses define who I am, how can I know that I am, and wonder about so much more, memories, dreams... Am I a computer?

Am I something more?

Is there anything more?

When the body dies, and the electrical impulses stop, is that all there is???

Where dose that energy come from, and more importantly, where does it go when my body is dead?

There are answers, but that is a personal and individual quest that only YOU can embark upon.

There is more, you are more, and you have a creator... Everything you do with this life determines everything that happens after.

Or, perhaps you simply shut down.... THE END

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 10:39 PM
link   
reply to post by rudeboyrave

Your sense of self is generated by the activity of your brain. If it were somehow possible to separate your brain from your body, your body would cease to have a conscious sense of itself.

However, your brain could not live separated from your body, and when it died your sense of self would die with it.

If this question fascinates you, then you’ll enjoy a little essay entitled ‘Where am I?’ by the philosopher Daniel Dennett, in which many aspects of it are interestingly explored.

Now I have a question for you. Why do you find it scary that you are simply your brain? Never mind whether it’s true or not – why does it disturb you?

edit on 4/6/11 by Astyanax because: of a missing link.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 10:55 PM
link   
After I watched 40-some minutes of "What the bleep do we know?" about 4 months ago, I can't stop asking myself the question: "Is my mind creating all of this??" I know from my own research that "What the bleep do we know?" has bee debunked. So lets just ignore the movie itself. It's the question that's bugging me and this thread is relevant.

"Is my mind creating all of this?" Impossible. That's what I tell myself. My mind couldn't possibly generate all of this. This is an outside reality and I am a participant inside my body. In fact, my body is a part of this outside world. So my mind is just along for the ride. But how do I know this? I don't. I've never seen my brain. And even if I did, how do I know that my mind isn't just creating what I would expect to see (i've seen pictures of the brain)? How do know that this isn't a hyper realistic dream? The question seems pointless because it cannot be answered. Any rationale person would stop asking it. But the question pops up every now and then. I'll be watching something or reading something or doing something and BAM, "Is my mind creating this?"

It's weird. All of the people on ATS are not part of my imagination. All of the people I know in RL are not my imagination. This house I'm in is not my imagination. That's what I tell myself. I tell myself it's narcissist and destructive to think that any of this isn't real. But then I tell myself that no one can know. As long as I don't harm anyone or hurt myself as a result of what I think then I should be free to think it. I have a lot of fears. Fears about death. Fears about losing others. Fears about people. Fears about the world. To know that this is just my imagination is a liberating concept. I don't want to go out and murder people because it's not real, I want to go out and not be afraid because it's not real. But none of this matters because the question cannot be answered and so long as it's a question I have to be careful of where I go with it.

I sometimes remember my dreams. I think that's part of it. The spontaneity of the characters in my dreams sometimes makes me think that my expectations about reality can influence my perceptions not just in dreams but in reality. This is part of the reason I fear. I cannot easily change my expectations. My mind can generate characters. But anyway, the fact that I"ve remembered my dreams leads me to ask these kinds of questions, I believe.

If that makes any sense, great. But none of this really makes sense, does it? If you want something to make sense, grab a calculator or a microscope. These kinds of questions simply can't be answered. They DON'T make sense. Not until we have answers.

Without answers it's just a dream. Answers make things real.

It's not so much that reality is outside and our mind is perceiving it. I am 9/10 in agreement. But I think that our own mind's expectations about reality plays a role that's stranger or more significant than we're giving it credit for. My dreams tell me that and, insofar as dreams go, that's an answer. I just don't know how deep the rabbit hole goes. How far do the expectations go. Where does reality begin? Is an outcome something that happens 'out there' or is it mutual? Is it a combination of energies in our universe and the expectations in our own mind? Do we BELIEVE in murderers? Do we BELIEVE in goodness? Do we BELIEVE in space and stars and moons and asteroids and nebula? Do our beliefs influence this reality in some way that we're incapable of understanding right now? Ultimately, I probably hit something somewhere. If you throw enough sh** on the wall then something will stick. But the question of what is and isn't is unanswerable.

"So what happened to him?"
"One thought he was invincible. The other thought he could fly. They were both wrong."

Steven Seagal for the win.
edit on 4-6-2011 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 11:05 PM
link   
When someone develops amnesia, or alzheimers - their brain dysfunctions due to a lack of glucose (so ive read)... The person then forgets everything they knew about themselves. Their memories, their personality, everything...gone in a flash.

And yet, there are those who forget 'everything', and all of a sudden regain it all back.

So my question is: Where was this information hiding? How can you locate a memory in the brain? Or an experience? These are fundamentally different things and so logically the brain would be nothing more then a transmitter that transfers this abstract, spiritual dimension into a physical context.

Also; dont bother using the analogy of a computer/memory. There is no qualitative similarity between the mind and body and a computer and the information held in its hard drive. The information the computer contains is still fundamentally a spiritual thing, because 'information' is merely ideas and concepts. So everything we relate to with our mind, that arent percieved by our bodily senses, are "spiritual" phenomena, which only have significance to a percieving consciousness.

This is also why when performing hypnosis, the hypnostist can access memories or sense impressions that are more or less dormant in the subjects personal unconscious. Can this not be considered evidence for a psychic dimension to reality - that exists independant of the physical?

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 11:08 PM
link   
May I humbly suggest that it may be Peruvian Torch time for some of you, or as the hippies used to say mescaline. It can be legally grown in the USA. Not Peyote, but Peruvian Torch which contains as much mescaline as Peyote.

For an unforgettable experience in consiousness you may want to consider it.

Be careful with this stuff. Have someone with you at all times in case you get in trouble.

Enjoying the topic.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 01:23 AM
link   
Apparantley, even after an individual has died, the brain remains alive and channels the remaining blood to itself in order to maintain its survival. It is likely that we are composed of many sentient organisms, right down to our bloodcells, the reason why we are in conflict about who we are as individuals, is due to the existence of our ego, which I believe is a kind of artificial implant, like two mirrors that are facing each other, we have a false sense of consciousness within our minds.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 01:24 AM
link   
The Brain is also an "Interface" (Decoder / Encoder) between LIFE and the experience, you refer to, as The Species and Universe.
edit on 5-6-2011 by The Matrix Traveller because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 01:50 AM
link   
reply to post by dontreally

Its a matter of Access through The SHIN.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 02:00 AM
link   

Your brain is just how you understand yourself through complex geometry and algorithms.

You are something else entirely.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 02:32 AM
link   
K your brain, is the last thing you be look'in like at the moment.

what about brain transplants

What about Brain donors ?

Look try one of these and call your maker in the morning.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/6fa01ed581ef.jpg[/atsimg]

edit on 5-6-2011 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 02:36 AM
link   
"If the human brain were simple enough to understand it, we would be so simple that we couldn't."

- Albert Einstein.

At least I think it was albert who said it.... Mull that one over for a minute

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 02:42 AM
link   

There is no one that can really answer this question for you.

You are trying to confront one of the biggest traps of the universe. I don't blame you for feeling like you reside somewhere inside your body. Most people do.

But not all people do. So about the best you can do is read up on it and see if any of the data makes sense to you.

I'll tell you: The idea of brain=being or brain=mind gives the brain a lot of power! Do you really want that organ in your head to completely control your past, present and future?

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 02:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Nomad451

"I know of only two things that go to infinity. The universe and the stupidity of man. I'm not quite sure about the universe'.

Albert Einstien for sure.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 03:21 AM
link   
I think everyone ponders this at some point.

"If I keep cutting away my body, how far must I go until I'm no longer me?"

No one can answer that but you, since no one has ever answered it for someone else. It's all open to your own interpretation. Though I did really like what someone wrote earlier, something along the lines of; Just as your body needs to brain to tell it what to do, as does your brain need the body in order to experience the outside world." A body with no brain, or a brain with no body, either way your in a comatose state. That no way of living.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 04:03 AM
link   
i think your the energy that runs through your nerves and brain.. i think we all are.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 04:07 AM
link   
Anyone else feel like they reside more in the left or right side of their brain, looking out from the back corner?

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 04:13 AM
link   
Hello everybody
please watch this movie.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 04:14 AM
link   
Damn, sorry for the double post, but the first link doesnt work
here again.
www.disclose.tv...

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 05:05 AM
link   

Haha...interesting thread I guess. Of course you are your brain. Your brain is a generator of consciousness, it is the central processing unit of the biological machine known as your body. All thoughts and feelings are generated by your brain...billions of electrical impulses firing every second. The inside of your head is completely dark, even the light that enters your eyes is actually converted into electrical signals and sent to your brain. Do you see what I'm saying?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join