It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I got threatened with jail time after applying for financial aid

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 01:45 PM
link   
The FSA application contract you signed means you claimed to have registered for selective service, which since you actually have not done, means you LIED on a government application - which is a arrestable offense.

I can't believe you've made it this far through life without actually signing up for Selective Service. It's the first thing I did when I turned 18.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by My.mind.is.mine
reply to post by macman

I don't understand why you're not mentioned with histories other greatest geniuses...

I guess I am in the same category as ATS forum smart asses.
So what is your issue then?

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   
I should probably get around to filling out that form...thanks for the heads up OP

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cryptonomicon
The FSA application contract you signed means you claimed to have registered for selective service, which since you actually have not done, means you LIED on a government application - which is a arrestable offense.

I can't believe you've made it this far through life without actually signing up for Selective Service. It's the first thing I did when I turned 18.

This.

You broke two laws, actually, not just one. And the letter you received was most likely a generic letter, I got those too when I refused to sign up for the draft.

If you want government hand-outs, such as Federal student loans, you must play by their rules. If you want their hand-outs and don't play by their rules, they will notify you that you could possibly be arrested.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 02:08 PM
link   
They brought the forms to us when I was in high school my senior year and made everyone who was at least 18 fill them out. That was over 10 years ago and I haven't even thought about it since. I'm sure you'll be fine.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 02:09 PM
link   

reply to post by SG-17

I'm gonna take 1 class per semester for the rest of my life. Will that excuse me?? lol

Just a ball less shill
if your so scared of going to war
to fight for the freedom OF YOUR CHILDREN and their children..

I find this thread repulsing that we have such wimps that live in this country
that you won't even register for selective service..

GET OVER IT QUIT WHINING..

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by hillynilly

None of our soldiers are fighting for our freedom, they are fighting to make rich pricks money..... And letting the real enemy at home screw over your children....

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 03:01 PM
link   
We have not had a draft since Vietnam. In this day and age, I would consider the draft a joke. If things got so bad that there would have to be a draft, America would be in a state of near chaos. Our republic (which is on life support as we speak) will be all but gone anyway and factions driven by their own agendas would likely start popping up. In other words, go ahead and register for the draft. Law enforcement will be too busy with the mayhem of thug-ocracy and local tribal warlords to track down draft dodgers.

Bob Hauk: There was an accident. About an hour ago, a small jet went down inside New York City. The President was on board.

Snake Plissken: The president of what?

(from 'Escape from New York'-IMDb.com)

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Konah

Originally posted by Cryptonomicon

This.

You broke two laws, actually, not just one. And the letter you received was most likely a generic letter, I got those too when I refused to sign up for the draft.

If you want government hand-outs, such as Federal student loans, you must play by their rules. If you want their hand-outs and don't play by their rules, they will notify you that you could possibly be arrested.

How is a student loan a "Hand Out?" Do you know what the word "loan" means?
Lets see, the government LOANS you money for an education and then you have to PAY IT BACK WITH INTEREST.

In fact up to a couple of years ago, student loans were provided by private banks, and the federal government just guaranteed them if the student defaulted on the loan.
Just recently has the federal government taken over the system and is now loaning directly, guess they saw the income revenue in the INTEREST the student pays on his/her LOANS.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by My.mind.is.mine

you want federeal student aid - with no strings attached ?????

you do realise that if there is a national draft [ like WWII ] then only a protected occupation will save you

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 05:48 PM
link   

yes

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 09:45 PM
link   

You either register for the draft or go to jail. it's a formality. Welcome to being an adult.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 10:03 PM
link   

I take it you are under 25 years old? This exact same thing happened to me and since I was over 25 at the time they couldn't prosecute me, but I can never get financial aid either, unless I write a dissertation as to why I never filed for selective service. I never did because it was a tumultuous time in my life and can't remember why I didn't. To hell with them anyway.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 10:08 PM
link   
reply to post by idunno12

Sort of like this Jedi mind trick,Get out of a ticket

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 10:16 PM
link   

It's sexist...I'd fight em on that...Your wife wasn't required to register!
That's it.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 10:33 PM
link   
Most developed countries have some form of conscription. Many have mandatory service. Why are you complaining?

Your choices are: Go live in an undeveloped country, or.. sign up. Stop being a wuss.. sign up. If you hate this country so much that you don't want to fight in a war to save it, you should not live here. Move.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 10:40 PM
link   

reply to post by ReluctantBlossom

Have they threatened to jail people since the 80's?

Yes.

You also cannot get any government job, or government aid. You can't even work for the state government.

It has been a law for a very long time, and in fact, they are being nice, because you broke the law when you didn't register at 18. They aren't going to draft anybody, and even if they did, just fake some asthma.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 10:44 PM
link   
We are entering a time where warfare will be a reality everywhere on this planet. When a man is committed to the battlefield, he worrys not about who his leader is, but for the outcome of the battle. So why worry about enlistment in the military. Fear of death is foolishness in a world which will take life regardless of ones belief. Better to fight for a cause larger than ones own, then cry about what life will never give without first fighting for.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 10:53 PM
link   

It has been American law for as long as I have been alive. I registered on my 18th Birthday when mom took me down to the post office and made me do it.

You just have to make sure you have jumped through all the hoops before you fill out your FAFSA.

Fair warning, once you put your name on the dotted line, "they" own you. Once you agree to play the game, you must play by their rules or risk jail Such is life in the modern world of soft tyranny.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 12:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by squirelnutz

I dunno, man, sounds scary.. As much as I hate complying and being told what to do, i wouldn't want to go to jail either.. good luck

Again I am so thankful not to live in the USA! Wow...
V

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join