It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Philippines asked to ban genetically-modified crops

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Philippines asked to ban genetically-modified crops

www.sunstar.com.ph

A GLOBAL environmental group on Friday said the Philippines should emulate Thailand, which recently passed a policy discouraging the use of genetically-modified organisms in boosting rice production.

Other rice-producing nations such as the Philippines, Vietnam and Indonesia are being targeted by GMO promoters as "guinea pigs" for experimental - and risky - GE crops, Greenpeace said.

In 2007, Greenpeace recalled that tons of GMO-contaminated rice from Bayer was shipped undetected to the c
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 11:48 AM
link   

In 2007, Greenpeace recalled that tons of GMO-contaminated rice from Bayer was shipped undetected to the country from the United States.

What???????
GMO contaminated rice from Bayer?????
Bayer Cropsciences I suppose, but I didn't know they were in the GMO rice business.

In any case this is good news
Also more good news:
More Canadians hop onto Monsanto GMO suit

A few more Canadian farm groups and farmers are now on board as plaintiffs in a U.S. suit against Monsanto, billed as a pre-emptive strike against any chance that the seed and ag chem firm could sue them for patent infringement.

www.manitobacooperator.ca...

Hopefully they do actually ban GMO
Using people as guinea pigs when they don't know that they are a nation of guinea pigs is just plain evil.

There are too many special interest groups, too much lobbying and too much cronyism.

www.sunstar.com.ph
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia

Bayer Cropsciences I suppose, but I didn't know they were in the GMO rice business.

I did not know that either, but I would expect nothing less from the people who gave heroin to the world.

It is pretty clear that Americans are content to live in a poisonous fascist hell, but maybe (unlikely but maybe) the third world will start the revolution that will save us all.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Read a good post from Antar yesterday, in another thread, about this very thing. The Gm seed . . . who actually
contaiminated it ? Not the farmers I can tell you ! That evil freaking chemical company, that's who. So farmers
want to keep their organic seed instead of buying the GM seed and because of this they may get sued by this
s#/!-for- brains outfit because the "WIND" might blow the proprietary GM seed over into the farmer's fields and that
may constitute illegal usage ? Why . . we better stop that wind right away ! How dare Mother Nature act in such a
manner without first consulting this s#/! -for-brains corporation !

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 12:46 PM
link   
If Canada has a snowballs chance in hell of fighting GMO....

then the Philippines has no chance....no chance what so ever.

I only know because i now live in the Philippines and even a snack will buy out a person in government. In fact if you do not provide some grease.....not even one of your wheels will turn. Want to get your drivers license...well then grease the man you will have no problems....want to get your car registered....well then grease the man he will make it happen..oh wait...its not happening...he wants more grease.....and so it goes on and on....

This country has no chance. LOL Catholic country.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   
I bet if the Philippines refuse, that an unlawfull act of war will take place over there soon.
Isn't that what we do when we don't get our own way

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   
for people hating on gmo grow your own food,become amish, or buy organic.

you have the choice of what your money is spent on.

did know ge was in the food business or did that just mean genetically engineered?
edit on 3-6-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 01:50 PM
link   
They will use terror, kill some of them.
it has been use'd before.
the oil and diamond industries.
and the one where they pup chemicals
underground to get oil out.
and it poisons every thing.
I think it was Africa.
thats why they do it there.
They Can get away with Murder.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Here's what will happen:

Crop yields will fall as insects become more prevalent. People will begin to notice increased food prices and start getting visibly upset.

Farmers will then be forced to pay for and properly use pesticides manufactured by evil ecosystem-destroying companies. Or farmers will start using GMO crops once again.

Typical conspiracy theories will arise to suggest that the insects were government/corporate shills planted to further the pro-mutant agenda.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aim64C
Here's what will happen:

Crop yields will fall as insects become more prevalent. People will begin to notice increased food prices and start getting visibly upset.

Farmers will then be forced to pay for and properly use pesticides manufactured by evil ecosystem-destroying companies. Or farmers will start using GMO crops once again.

Typical conspiracy theories will arise to suggest that the insects were government/corporate shills planted to further the pro-mutant agenda.

Damn those insects !

(Planted by the government heh ?)

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by HenryPatrick

Originally posted by ModernAcademia

I did not know that either, but I would expect nothing less from the people who gave heroin to the world.

It is pretty clear that Americans are content to live in a poisonous fascist hell, but maybe (unlikely but maybe) the third world will start the revolution that will save us all.

Interesting definition of fascism.

Did you realize that Bayer is a German company? And that Europe does plenty of its own research into GMO/Biotech crops too? Sure its easy to just blame America and not look at other places.

This story is another case of people who live in a country with a plentiful food supply, trying to tell a third world country how they should live and how they should farm. Of course its easy to have a full stomach, and tell those with an empty stomach what to eat.

Third world countries are some of the biggest adopters of GMO seeds, since they are the ones who are in the most need of more food, and cant always afford pesticides.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 11:04 PM
link   
reply to post by firepilot

I don't recall defining fascism in my post, but if you say so. You are just another shameless gmo apologist, just keep supporting the destruction of the planet. While you are at it why don't you debunk some chemtrails?

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 02:36 AM
link   
reply to post by HenryPatrick

You are just another shameless gmo apologist, just keep supporting the destruction of the planet.

Quite an arrogant one, aren't you.

Do you honestly think humans have the capacity to destroy the planet? We can't even eradicate certain strains of bacteria. What kind of craziness leads you to believe we can destroy the planet - or the life on it?

The fact of the matter is that genetic engineering of plants is the best bet we have of finding renewable energy sources and it is the future of a wide range of chemical and molecular industry. Costly and dirty chemical processing plants can be replaced by fields, greenhouses, and vats of bacteria.

I'm not going to feed you lines that make it sound like this stuff is going to make the world full of unicorns crapping rainbows and morning dew - but it is certainly an improvement.

While you are at it why don't you debunk some chemtrails?

Water vapor. Upper atmosphere that is -way- below freezing.

Watch some old videos from World War II where the B-17s would leave long and lasting contrails. It's nothing new.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Arrogant because I don't shamelessly support gmos and chemtrails? Arrogant because I object to the psychopathic monsters running this world in direct contrast to the will of the people? I would be very surprised if you weren't paid by the government for those comments. Anybody who supports gmos and denies chemtrails has no business even being dignified with a response.
edit on 6/5/11 by HenryPatrick because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Arrogant because I don't shamelessly support gmos and chemtrails?

No. Arrogant because you believe human beings have the capacity to 'destroy the planet.'

Next time you get that crazy idea in your head - I recommend you take a trip to Joplin, Missouri and observe how mother nature simply erased a town.

Arrogant because I object to the psychopathic monsters running this world in direct contrast to the will of the people?

You propose to know and bear the will of the people following no formal elections?

I would be very surprised if you weren't paid by the government for those comments.

I do this out of boredom. Unfortunately - most of the time - people are so devoid of intelligence that the only thing I can tell them is that they are stupid.

Anybody who supports gmos and denies chemtrails has no business even being dignified with a response.

I never said I support GMOs. Just that you lack the capacity to understand them.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aim64C

No. Arrogant because you believe human beings have the capacity to 'destroy the planet.'

Next time you get that crazy idea in your head - I recommend you take a trip to Joplin, Missouri and observe how mother nature simply erased a town.

I do this out of boredom. Unfortunately - most of the time - people are so devoid of intelligence that the only thing I can tell them is that they are stupid.

I never said I support GMOs. Just that you lack the capacity to understand them.

I am arrogant because I believe science has acquired the power to drastically alter this planet for the foreseeable future? And you cite a tornado as your evidence? You have to be joking. Sorry but your tornado has nothing to do with the argument at hand; it sounds like you are making a point, but really you have nothing to say so you talk about something completely unrelated and expect people to accept your ridiculous attempt at providing evidence. I can simply cite Fukushima as a counterexample to your idiotic argument to prove that humans DO have the capacity to screw up the planet. We are not talking geologic time here, we are talking time periods relevant to human life. And gmos will certainly alter every environment they inhabit for said forseeable future.

And as for your attacks on my intelligence, I have Asperger's, which means that my IQ is probably around twice what yours is. And considering how you voiced your support for gmos as a solution to all the world's problems right before denying saying any such thing, I believe that we are on two very different intellectual levels without a doubt. This will be my last reply to your nonsense, as I am on a roadtrip and do not have time for bumblers who cannot even properly argue a point. Learn how to reason, to use logic, and to provide evidence that supports arguments that wouldn't be easy for a 5 year old to falsify, and then we'll talk. But for now, falsifiable and counterexample are your two new words for the day. Learn them, use them, live them.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 05:08 PM
link   

I am arrogant because I believe science has acquired the power to drastically alter this planet for the foreseeable future?

Why do you have this notion that the planet is inherently not a drastic place?

And you cite a tornado as your evidence? You have to be joking. Sorry but your tornado has nothing to do with the argument at hand; it sounds like you are making a point, but really you have nothing to say so you talk about something completely unrelated and expect people to accept your ridiculous attempt at providing evidence.

My point was, quite obviously, that people are and will always be subjects of and to nature. To make the assertion that life will somehow be drastically altered by our presence is to completely disregard the ice-age, meteor strikes, volcanic eruptions, and a plethora of other apocalyptic encounters that life has, on a macroscopic level, effortlessly endured.

To believe that we even have the capacity to be our own undoing is just indescribable arrogance. We do not have the option of living - we have the nature of living. And that, inherently, places our continued existence well out of our own control. Not out of our own influence, mind you - but nothing approaching control. And history should demonstrate, well, that life is far harder to destroy than it is to change.

I can simply cite Fukushima as a counterexample to your idiotic argument to prove that humans DO have the capacity to screw up the planet.

That really demonstrates the futility of it all. For starters - nothing in the reactor complexes is man-made. We mine it from the ground. Further - even if you were to take all of the radioactive material ever mined and place it across the planet in lethal concentrations - you could barely cover a thousand square miles.

Even if we went out of our way to try and destroy ourselves (much less the planet) - it would be an insurmountable task. Some group of assholes would survive and continue to reproduce. It's what living things do.

We are not talking geologic time here, we are talking time periods relevant to human life. And gmos will certainly alter every environment they inhabit for said forseeable future.

Not really. You see - these "evil" corporations "destroying the world" are not half as dim-witted as they may first appear to the casual conspiracy theorist. First - engineering crops is expensive - so, by default, developing sterile crops that produce sterile seeds/fruit is of utmost importance to one's ability to market those seeds. Further - the processes used to create these crops is quite strictly controlled, particularly any pollination and the like. This really eliminates the possibility of "leaks" into the "natural" population.

And as for your attacks on my intelligence, I have Asperger's, which means that my IQ is probably around twice what yours is.

Having Asperger's doesn't necessarily equate to a higher IQ. It's an autism-spectrum disorder regarding difficulty in grasping social behavior. I exhibit a number of traits common amongst those with Asperger's - but have never been diagnosed clinically.

Generally speaking, I test in the extreme upper 90 percentile (as in 99.x) in most areas with metrics. I don't take the assertion that someone is my equal - much less my superior - lightly.

And considering how you voiced your support for gmos as a solution to all the world's problems right before denying saying any such thing, I believe that we are on two very different intellectual levels without a doubt.

I never said that genetically modified crops were the solution to anything. Show me where I made that comment - or whatever it is you are interpreting to mean such. They are, however, -a- solution. The most widespread use of GMO foods is in the "BT" strains that produce a number of the Cry-series toxins in their leaves. In civilized regions, where the use of pesticides, fertilizers, etc is rather common and a mature/affordable practice - the use of these GMO crops is really not 'necessary.' In the U.S. and Canada, it's really a matter of cost/effectiveness - is the increased cost of the seed and additional fertilizer offset by the reduced need for pesticides?

In regions that are still trying to put shoes on their feet, like India and the Philippines (I know some people from there - they are a proud people, but they all marry military personnel and get the hell out of there for a reason) - where effective application of pesticides is nearly impossible - the BT crops are a very attractive option because they -do- fair much better against pests.

The "real" solution for places like the Philippines is to modernize and improve the standards of their agricultural industry. That, however, is much easier said than done - and you can't up-engineer a nation on empty stomachs.

For the rest of us - it's really not that big of an issue. We don't have locust swarms or 30% of our crops falling to pests every time we turn around. A lot of that is because, over time, we have cut the populations of these pests and manage to control their populations through the effective use of pesticides. Other regions that are still struggling to bring their agricultural zones under control are struggling. Keep in mind - our nation was and has been an economic super-giant since we started building ships for Spain and France pre-revolutionary times. And it still took us the better part of 100 years to develop our agricultural regions to a point where pests were a nuisance more than a major economic factor (once we started using the Plains for this purpose).

To be quite honest - when I am finally living some place where I can have a garden - most of my picks will be "heirloom" varieties that have the properties I like out of that given produce. I like my tomatoes more sweet than tangy and more juicy than pulpy/big. If genetically modified versions of crops ever pique my fancy - I'll never write them off because of their genetically modified status - it's just that, presently, their concerns are not "to make a more perfect tomato" and more along the lines of "to make tomatoes that grow in hell, itself" - I don't live in hell and don't plan to.

This will be my last reply to your nonsense, as I am on a roadtrip and do not have time for bumblers who cannot even properly argue a point. Learn how to reason, to use logic, and to provide evidence that supports arguments that wouldn't be easy for a 5 year old to falsify, and then we'll talk. But for now, falsifiable and counterexample are your two new words for the day. Learn them, use them, live them.

There's something about a conspiracy that occupies the thoughtful mind. I suppose it's only natural that intelligence and paranoia correlate rather strongly.

At some point, though, it becomes difficult for those of us with the ability to contemplate reality to identify what it really is. When sitting and thinking about why someone did what they did - why something is the way it is - or what the nature of particle/wave duality means... I can run you off a list of possibilities that is limited only by my finite time to interact with this world. But at some point - I find myself losing a grip on reality. I get lost navigating the possible meanings and origins of things and almost completely ignore the fact that something has happened - and events are continuing to unfold.

This is not said for the sake of argument - but as a bit of advice. You're still quite young. And rather unaware of your own thought process. Spend a little time thinking about that. If you're as intellectually capable as you claim to be - you'll find something of use in doing so.

As for your little rant about making arguments - it's really just a case of whether or not you want to see the argument presented. No argument was really posed against the science behind GMOs or their application - simply a bunch of claims that they were bad and evil. A point I challenged in a rather anecdotal manner befitting of the original claims and challenging your reasoning for making such claims.

In short - I'm just toying with you more than seriously debating. Nothing you've presented indicates you're capable of debating on a factual level. I'd rather just point out that you don't even realize how silly you sound. When I get serious, you'll see links to research articles and publications with excerpts. Until then - you've presented nothing I can't just brush aside with a simple appeal to logic.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Aim64C

You SIr very much sound like you are getting paid. Well I have been fighting this technology for ten years, and for very good reasons. So my question to you is "What do you think of Monsato?"

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Peter Brake

You SIr very much sound like you are getting paid.

Generally, when people have internet access, they either reside in an incarceration facility or have some means of income. My means of income, at this point in time, involves the US Navy Reserve and washing dishes in the back of a restaurant. I suppose you could classify student aid as a type of income - but the paperwork for that isn't filled out as of yet.

Well I have been fighting this technology for ten years, and for very good reasons.

Fighting technology is an endeavor of the frivolous and ignorant. You can't fight technology any more than you can fight a child's learning.

Now - you can fight against certain applications of technology - but even that is somewhat frivolous. For example - how does one fight against people developing and using aircraft while simultaneously resolving to not use those craft? It's like resolving to stick to traditional swords while your enemy pursues you with assault rifles.

So my question to you is "What do you think of Monsato?"

Monsato? Who is monsato?

You mean Monsanto?

They are a corporation. Nothing more. Nothing less. They produce a product and offer it on the market. They are also a pretty damned big corporation and have a huge market share. By my estimation - they are no different than Intel or Nvidia with regard to their business practices. Intel has done far worse in the name of intellectual property and disregard for the legal system, to be blunt. Hell, Monsanto - evil as you think they are - are angelic compared to Sony's advertising, marketing, and licensing strategies.

Monsanto is high-profile, particularly amongst certain communities. Where it really matters is at the consumer level - what do farmers choose to buy? From what farmers do people choose to buy?

You can pay for your certified organic produce and meats if you want. It's one of the most rapidly growing segments of agriculture because of the resistance to the "not certified organic" variety. Others won't really care one way or the other and go with the competitive price.

Look at the bright side. If you're right and there is something to be worried about - all of you smart people eating the "real thing" will be alive and the rest of us morons will all die off the face of the planet. Then you won't have to put up with us anymore.

top topics

join