It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Warning!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Scientific experiments have proven that if you read the following story, you will likely be changed. Your ideas about religion, politics -- yes, even your appreciation of art and beauty will be changed... at least temporarily. So if you like the way you feel about life right now, maybe you should skip this article.

I'm going to tell you something that you already know. It's something obvious. But it's also so horrific and terrible that it must quickly be forgotten or it could literally drive you insane. Just the reminder of this fact will be enough to change your behavior, your outlook on the world and the look on your face

This idea is so important that it deserves to be explored. It's a new-old idea called Terror Management Theory.

Terror Management Theory (TMT) states that all human behavior is motivated by the fear of our own mortality. The fact that you and I will eventually die and be "no more" is a fact known and understood only by humans. Although animals have an avoidance of death, they live in the present. They don't comprehend their destiny. Only humans have the capacity to project reality in time and imagine the future. Only humans realize the significance of being "no more".

The theory originated with anthropologist Ernest Becker's 1973 Pulitzer Prize-winning work of nonfiction, The Denial of Death, in which Becker argues all human action is taken to ignore or avoid the anxiety generated by the inevitability of death.

According to Becker, people spend their entire lives trying to make sense of these conflicting thoughts. We are so afraid of death that we create alternate realities -- realities where we won't cease to be. We take comfort in the fact that others share this alternate reality. Often symbols are used to reinforce our confidence in what psychologists call our worldview.

The article is from a two parts series called what is beauty, the article goes on for some time so visit the linkviewzone2.com... for the rest.
I think this could explain, some what, why the religions are and the need for..
But seems that they are using this against us also.
So if you have the time look it up
and share your thoths about it

P.S Check out the skull in the ice cube

mods i think it should be moved in another forum of your choosing sorry!

edit on 31-5-2011 by mkkkay because: (no reason given)

edit on 1-6-2011 by Gemwolf because: Removed all caps from title

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 10:44 PM
link   
I liked this post. I went to the site and found it interesting...I have always wondered why we think something is beautiful and why we think something is ugly. Where we got these thought from. Because someone tells you something is beautiful doesn't make it beautiful. it has to be something inside each of us that makes us think it is pretty or ugly. To me it is more like something is either pretty or scary...I just don't know..I need more time to think about the subject...Thanks for the post......

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 10:51 PM
link   
I disagree with the reports broad claim .

This report does describe some people but not all , religious or not .

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 10:55 PM
link   
reply to post by mkkkay

Don't underestimate some animals. They question,and in their own perplexed intuitive way, are smarter
than the majority of people I have met.

As a matter of fact, some animals have levels of awareness that are intuitively beyond human comprehension.

His dog (with a sigh,) knew very well about our inevitable departure. YouTube Link

www.youtube.com... Best Regards,,,

edit on 31-5-2011 by Wildmanimal because: Add in/Typo
Enjoy the Poem
edit on 31-5-2011 by Wildmanimal because: Add in

edit on 31-5-2011 by Wildmanimal because: typo

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 11:03 PM
link   
reply to post by mkkkay

Can't say it changed me or my line of thinking. That is always evolving. Good info though. My Dad told me a long time ago, that "We are all born to die, it's the journey in between that counts". I have to agree with him. I found that once I accepted this, life got a whole lot simpler for me.

I will admit that there are a few things I am afraid of dying from though, mainly being eaten alive or burning to death tops my list.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 11:11 PM
link   
reply to post by mkkkay

Hey OP , I starred and flagged your interesting post. Even though I beg to differ and agree with Max-To
on this, your angle is valid. Solid discussion with multiple points of view is really what ATS is all about.
There are a lot of very intelligent people around here, and posts like yours can spark quality discussion.

Thanks,

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 12:21 AM
link   
I am absolutely fascinated by pictures of people in the past that I know are dead. Recent past not so much, but the earliest pictures forward can get my mind into so many spaces and ideas, thoughts, and feelings.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d457b16a2381.jpg[/atsimg]

Personally, I have been with several people as they have passed on, assisting as well with encouragement and through guiding. Every time it is the most incredible experience.

The very first man I saw die was when I was 14-years-old. I was sitting in the living room listening to the police scanner when a call came over indicating a pedestrian had been hit by a car; the address was right around the corner less than two minutes away. I rushed over and there on the ground was a young man of about 18, he lived down the street, he had been hit by a car and the car was a short ways away in the parking lot with the lights flashing; the driver was drunk and just sat there in the car. I rushed over to the guy lying there half in the road half out and I looked into his eyes and saw him leave; just like that. Interesting that I was the last thing he saw before he left. I stayed with him until the ambulance arrived, I remember I had a blanket and was trying to soak up the water from the puddle he was laying in.

I am still touched by that person although his name has seemed to have disappeared to the past.

I am not afraid to die, and I do not think that I am Spiritual because of the fear of Death. I am OK with death as I believe I have died many many times before.

edit on 6/1/2011 by Greensage because: spelling error

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 12:23 AM
link   
Warning Warning Danger Danger Will Robinson,, Don't eat the yellow snow

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 12:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Greensage

Hey Greensage, I'm going to add to favorites this whole discussion just because I like your picture so much.

That really is a fantastic and historical picture. Made my evening. Thank you,,,

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 08:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Greensage

I know what you mean, i kind of don't fear death also.
But i do fear the way i will die. If i just fall asleep cool.
But just how many of us do die in their sleep.
The only thing i fear is the suffering that might come with death.
But you know whats worst than death for me is growing old alone...
I have a wife but no children.. we try every thing to no avail.
I will most likely end up in an old age hospital with no one to visit...
That is what i fear most of all

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by mkkkay

Scientific experiments have proven that if you read the following story, you will likely be changed. Your ideas about religion, politics -- yes, even your appreciation of art and beauty will be changed... at least temporarily. So if you like the way you feel about life right now, maybe you should skip this article.

I'm going to tell you something that you already know. It's something obvious. But it's also so horrific and terrible that it must quickly be forgotten or it could literally drive you insane. Just the reminder of this fact will be enough to change your behavior, your outlook on the world and the look on your face

This idea is so important that it deserves to be explored. It's a new-old idea called Terror Management Theory.

Terror Management Theory (TMT) states that all human behavior is motivated by the fear of our own mortality. The fact that you and I will eventually die and be "no more" is a fact known and understood only by humans. Although animals have an avoidance of death, they live in the present. They don't comprehend their destiny. Only humans have the capacity to project reality in time and imagine the future. Only humans realize the significance of being "no more".

The theory originated with anthropologist Ernest Becker's 1973 Pulitzer Prize-winning work of nonfiction, The Denial of Death, in which Becker argues all human action is taken to ignore or avoid the anxiety generated by the inevitability of death.

According to Becker, people spend their entire lives trying to make sense of these conflicting thoughts. We are so afraid of death that we create alternate realities -- realities where we won't cease to be. We take comfort in the fact that others share this alternate reality. Often symbols are used to reinforce our confidence in what psychologists call our worldview.

The article is from a two parts series called what is beauty, the article goes on for some time so visit the linkviewzone2.com... for the rest.
I think this could explain, some what, why the religions are and the need for..
But seems that they are using this against us also.
So if you have the time look it up
and share your thoths about it

P.S Check out the skull in the ice cube

mods i think it should be moved in another forum of your choosing sorry!

edit on 31-5-2011 by mkkkay because: (no reason given)

Only atheist really think death is all there is.

Sucks for them.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Friends, always a topic of interest to me; it is true, we are all born to die, yet the journey is what matters; but my perspective is different, for I have already died once in this life yet had to return some 31 years ago; I did a thread about it a few years back, and about my memories of the other side, that this life here is but a brief whistle stop on the long journey home, only a tiny slice of our many lifetimes. Do not fear death, for it is but a blink of an eye then a new beginning...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

for those interested in my journey...

seeker

top topics

join