It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quebec Lowers Drinking Age to 12

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 02:30 PM
link   
I could not believe it and then i heard the interview..
in 1972 from 20 to 18 years old.
2011 from 18 to 14 and 12 with adults present
in england they say it's 5 in their house
even the interviewer is baffled

what the hell can some one tell me if this is true in england 5 years old

Earlier this week the province of Quebec announced that they would be lowering their legal drinking age to 14. To find out more host Peter Oldring spoke with Alain Rousseau from the Societe des Alcools du Quebec

www.cbc.ca...

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 02:33 PM
link   
...isn't that from a spoof thing? A "Current Affairs Comedy Show" like the onion news network? Just look at the titles of some of the other This is That articles.
edit on 31-5-2011 by kittendaydreamer because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by mkkkay

Wow that is young..

I dont think teens should be legally allowed to drink like this let alone a 12yr old or 5yr old. I know in some European countries wine with dinner is normal and there isnt a problem with it.

When I was a teen and I wanted a drink I had to with my mom in the room, which was usually when she had dinner parties. She would let my sister and I have one wine cooler, usually Pina Colada.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by kittendaydreamer

No, these people are just more realized than the idiots in America, who do not seem to realize that you create alcoholics more easily when you attempt to keep them AWAY from the stuff.

16 throughout Europe to go to the store and buy, and they seem far more adjusted than the crazy kids here.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   
We did?

Well to be honest, the first time I drank alcohol, I was about 12...

But of course, you can't buy alcohol at 12, only at 18.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by mkkkay

Allowed to drink with a parent. The parent makes the decision - as it should be.
You gotta love the French! Nobody is screaming "nanny state" there.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by mkkkay

in the uk the legal drinking age for alcohol is 18 , you must show id to support this even if you are buying from a shop or store .

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by GrinchNoMore

....on the this is that page it even says "We don't just talk about the issues. We fabricate them." www.cbc.ca... Sorry I did a search and couldn't find any News sources other than the cbc this is that mentioning that lowering. Were there any other sources? Even just 1?

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Doesn't suprise me, Quebec is awesome. Montreal has North America's best night life/party scene, and they are very liberal is MANY areas... Just in MTL though, they hate English speaking folks everywhere else in Quebec of course....

I don't think this is much of a big deal though because if it is true I am sure it is a 'with supervision' type gray area. It doesn't mean they will be letting 14 year olds into the bars though, thats a different law. Doesn't Portugal or Italy(or both?) have no drinking restrictions?(no age limit)

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by GrinchNoMore

No, these people are just more realized than the idiots in America, who do not seem to realize that you create alcoholics more easily when you attempt to keep them AWAY from the stuff.

16 throughout Europe to go to the store and buy, and they seem far more adjusted than the crazy kids here.

I have taught of this before and with cigarettes too. Maybe kids wouldn't be interested in both if they could buy them and drink/smoke them anywhere legally...reverse psychology seems applicable.

But guys, this is just a joke.

I can't find any of this information in French and Québec is a French nation.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 02:46 PM
link   
I don't know if it is a spoof or not, but it is much more logical than 21! How on earth can we justify the discrepancy between being old enough to drive at 16, marry and enter other contracts at 18, vote and die for your country at 18, but not drink alcohol until 21? It makes no sense. It should be one age that supposedly makes you "legal" for all these things.

I used to work for child support enforcement, and I had people that were legal guardians for their babies, but not for themselves? How the hell does that make any sense?

Most people I know started having a drink here or there at about age 12 to 14. I know some girls that got kicked off their basketball team because they showed someone a picture from their mother's wedding, and one of them was holding a champagne glass? That is just ridiculous!

My parents never cared if I stayed home and drank, so long as I stayed home.

Common sense is the answer, not laws.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by kittendaydreamer
reply to post by GrinchNoMore

....on the this is that page it even says "We don't just talk about the issues. We fabricate them." www.cbc.ca... Sorry I did a search and couldn't find any News sources other than the cbc this is that mentioning that lowering. Were there any other sources? Even just 1?

CBC seems the only source, they like making pranks like this.

Even if it's a joke, I guess people will probably get mixed messages from this.
I'm not sure if the rest of Canada will view this as something positive from Quebec or negative

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

The funniest part is that, you can drive a car with a lighter in it at 16...
but you can't buy a lighter before 18

21 in the states is exaggerated
edit on 31-5-2011 by User8911 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by GrinchNoMore
reply to post by kittendaydreamer

I have to wonder who the idiot is. The article is satirical spoof. It is not real.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   
C'mon people... it is a spoof. It's been stated a few times in here yet people don't seem to care...
It is pretty obvious..

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by tom.farnhill

Same in Australia

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by mkkkay

That is ridiculous, the government wouldn't do such a thing. Try being logic on this one, further common sense is needed. There is no way legal age for drinking will go below 18 and surely not 18

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Does noone know how to read what forum you clicked on?

Its clearly in the jokes forum....

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by doom27
Does noone know how to read what forum you clicked on?

Its clearly in the jokes forum....

I guess I didn't notice and base on the question in the OP.... I could have sworn it started in the breaking news or current events board.
edit on 31-5-2011 by kittendaydreamer because: needed to add 2nd line?

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 04:58 PM
link   
No joke.. It is legal for a child over the age of 5 in the UK to drink alcohol..

The 18 restrictions in the UK apply to purchasing alcohol or drinking it on licensed premises or alcohol exclusion zones.

But 16 and 17 year olds are allowed to drink beer, wine or cider during a meal in licensed premises with adult (with a slight difference in Scotland that I beleive means that 16 and 17 year old can buy their own beer, wine or cider)

Tho my local council have a slightly different take on it..

A new council report claims it would be “preferable” for underage teenagers to drink in pubs rather than gather in parks or on street corners.

The dossier claims adolescents would be safer and less likely to cause antisocial behaviour if they were under the watchful eye of bar staff and adult drinkers.

Source

edit on 31/5/11 by thoughtsfull because: (no reason given)

top topics

join