It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

is everything on google?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by hillynilly
I deleted a picture off myspace (AND MY MYSPACE ACCOUNT) my god 6/7 years ago and somehow
a google search STILL FINDS IT!!!!!!!! I requested the site remove it. (has me with my ex yuck)

The site did delete it. That is one problem with putting something on the net and then trying to remove it. The net is a copier machine on overload. Anything you put on the net gets copied 100,000's if not millions of times. There could be countless numbers of servers around the world that has the picture on them without the owner even knowing it is there. So even if every one of the million copies that is on the net was removed as soon as one of these servers went on line the picture would find it way back on there. Well at least that was the way it was explained to me. This is one reason that TPTB want to take over total control of the Internet. The Internet is prolific at making copies that it is all but impossible for them to get all the copies of something off the Internet once it gets on there. The only real way is to monitor everything as it is posted. If that was done it would be days if not weeks before this post was put up (that is if it passed the review) instead of the milliseconds that it takes now. The Internet would slow to a point that it would be all but use-less. It may just happen

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by fixer1967

That is a little bit of an exaggeration, but the point of your post is accurate. There are not servers that blindly make copies of every piece of content on the internet over and over and over again.

However, websites like myspace, or facebook, or google do create redundant backups of media and content which is then stored in separate data centers in various locations.
* See Redundant Array of Independent Disks

In addition to that, sites like google and the waybackmachine do archive online content, but only a few times, not hundreds of thousands of times.

You are right, however, that once something is posted, it is nearly impossible to get it offline. Make sure you know what you are doing before you post something!

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by renegadeS

I understand that Google alone has close to a million servers world wide and if each one has just one copy of something and then you add the servers of Yahoo and the other search engines. If my statement is an exaggeration it is not by much. Like I said this was the way it was explained to me by a webmaster that builds sites in my area. So my post could be off track on the subject some what.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by fixer1967

The guy that explained it to you is on the right track, but a little bit mistaken. Yes, they do have millions of servers, however, not every single one of those servers has every piece of data. It takes thousands of servers in a cluster to make up a single data center, and the information that Google has is spread across all of those servers.

They likely only have a handful of data centers throughout the world, and each one would probably have a copy or two (for redundancy) of pieces of data.

Also, not everything is indexed, for example, Google only indexes a thumbnail sized version of pictures, with a link to the full size picture on the server it came from.

Between all of the major search engines, with all of their data centers, you would be looking at a handful of copies.

But... maybe the CIA and NSA have servers that are constantly copying information to servers... but we'll leave that discussion for a different thread

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 01:06 AM
link   
Just wanted to point something out. If you have already been frequenting a site(ats) and then try to googe something related , it will automatically put your priority to ats. Google steals info, along with alot of their partners

top topics

<< 1   >>

join