It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASAs Study of Arsenic Life Stirs Controversy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 11:43 PM
link   

The discovery of what a NASA scientist claims is an example of alien life has provoked an exciting controversy among scientists. In December last year, NASA conducted a press conference to announce that it had found evidence of a special kind of bacteria that seemed to use arsenic in its DNA instead of phosphorus. Arsenic is considered lethal to life forms, so the discovery immediately met with a fire of criticism from other scientists.

The report met with instant criticism from noted scientists. Steven Benner, of the Foundation for Applied Molecular Evolution in Gainesville, who was present at the conference explicitly, said that it was highly improbable because arsenic does not bond well with other molecules at room temperature.

themoneytimes.com...

EDIT: (Alternate source)

content.usatoday.com...
edit on 28-5-2011 by hazey because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 12:10 AM
link   

The report met with instant criticism from noted scientists. Steven Benner, of the Foundation for Applied Molecular Evolution in Gainesville, who was present at the conference explicitly, said that it was highly improbable because arsenic does not bond well with other molecules at room temperature.
Just because it's highly improbable doesn't mean it's impossible. I can't see any reason NASA would make it up, they must have some decent proof.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 12:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by ChaoticOrder

Just because it's highly improbable doesn't mean it's impossible. I can't see any reason NASA would make it up, they must have some decent proof.

Seriously, I'm so sick of scientists bashing anything against what they assume to be correct. Science is about the pursuit of truth. And if they want it to be considered false, they should prove it false, not just sit around and say stupid *snip* like this. Sorry I couldn't be more conducive to the topic. Maybe I should head over to the rant section.

edit on Wed, 01 Jun 2011 21:23:34 -0500 by JacKatMtn because: Mod Edit: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 12:34 AM
link   
reply to post by ChaoticOrder

Maybe because they are being defunded left and right and the public is becoming tired of the outrageous claims that seems to be coming from them in last couple of years. Either its journalistic hype or NASA itself is hyping stories without nearly enough backing to support thier findings.

You have to realize we are pumping tax dollars into fields such as Astrobiology when its not even known if such thing exists. Trying to find facts now to fit thier theories of the universe instead of looking at the universe and changing the theories. Its science run amok.

The OP is bringing up a serious issue within the scientific community at large not just in biology whether its meant to or not,. If you look hard enough to find facts to fit your theory any and all theories become viable. When you discard or bury facts that dont fit your ego errr...... pet theory, then you leave the realm of science.

There are many things about this arsenic business that doesnt add up including tampering with the evidence and sensationalizing the outcome without offering repeatability including getting extensive peer review before launching a world wide campaign on announcing phosphorous has been replaced.

Scientist are people with same emotions and dreams as any other field. However they have a whole lot more backing up to do then say Billy Mayes and the evidence at the moment seems of sensationalizing a non important event. Or at least not as much as they did.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 12:51 AM
link   
reply to post by scojak

No, I share the exact sentiment. That kind of stuff just angers me to no end. Especially if a layman was to discover something controversially amazing, they are bashed and ridiculed, until years later after thousands of dollars are spent some credentialed scientist discovers the same thing then it is applauded and honored. Not sure of any case like that but that is how it seems to me. But now scientists with years of experience and expertise can't make a revolutionary discovery because it goes against what is taught. I believe the time of scientific progression is coming to an end, and we will go into regression, all because certain scientific authorities have a power trip problem.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 01:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by ChaoticOrder

Seriously, I love when they say its highly improbable or almost impossible...
We are here arent we ? The universe came from nothing didnt it ? Improbable my a$$

new topics

top topics

join